What's new
What's new

Force needed to emboss aluminum

Mebfab

Diamond
I am looking to emboss a piece of annealed 1/8" thick aluminum. Going to place it on a hard rubber block, place a 3" diameter by 1/8" thick rounded edge steel piece over it. Another rubber block and steel backer. Apply force.

Is the formula just yield strength X area?

I am looking to emboss a piece of annealed 1/8" thick aluminum. Going to place it on a hard rubber block, place a 3" diameter by 1/8" thick rounded edge steel piece over it. Another rubber block and steel backer. Apply force.

Is the formula just yield strength X area?

It sounds like allot of tonnage is gonna be needed.
I wonder if you could place a charge of black powder on top of the stack, and (in a safe place like gravel pit) lite it off.

Its experiment in class to show embossing. Can use any size part, other thicknesses. Just have the above in scrap bin.

On edit explosive forming would be a big hit with the students. Less so with administration and safety dept.

Its experiment in class to show embossing. Can use any size part, other thicknesses. Just have the above in scrap bin.

On edit explosive forming would be a big hit with the students. Less so with administration and safety dept.

"Field trip".....:D

The name "schmidt" come to mind as a company selling embossing presses.
Maybe they have an online tonnage calc ?

1/8" sounds much thicker than you need for a demo ? How about drop back to 1/16" or less ? Would cut your required tonnage in half (or less).

No names will be named but had a friend who did this, years ago. First shot, went well but part insufficiently-formed. Pretty fun, just add more powder ! Second better but still not quite enough. Third try, let's add extra !

Half of their die disappeared somewhere way up high, and they never did find it. It was a pretty hefty piece of steel, too. Didn't have the courage to go around the neighborhood asking :)

You're going to need the force to compress that rubber too. The formula to get an accurate number will be pretty complicated, including the durometer and thickness of the rubber and the minimum radius of the detail in your form. Better to experiment.

I was trying to do something somewhat similar a while back with a sheet of silver. I tried to back it up with inner tube rubber and did not have very good success. I substituted the rubber for two blocks of pine soaked in water overnight and got much better results.

Back