What's new
What's new

Forgot to snap tang off on helicore

Highway

Plastic
Hello
Couple weeks ago i used a helicore to repair an exhaust manifold bolt hole inan aluminum head. I just remembered that I forgot to break off the tang on the end when i finished up. Will it be alright to leave it as is ?

Thanks
Highway

Hello
Couple weeks ago i used a helicore to repair an exhaust manifold bolt hole inan aluminum head. I just remembered that I forgot to break off the tang on the end when i finished up. Will it be alright to leave it as is ?

Thanks
Highway

A little late now to be worried about it.

If it went together fine, it's fine. Even if it was for NASA. At least, in the latter case, until it causes a problem.

Cheers
Trev

Did you bolt things back together? Typically when you screw the bolt in the hole, it bends the tang over then gets snarled up in the tang and makes a huge mess out of the threads on the bolt, which becomes obvious when you try to back the bolt out.

Did you bolt things back together? Typically when you screw the bolt in the hole, it bends the tang over then gets snarled up in the tang and makes a huge mess out of the threads on the bolt, which becomes obvious when you try to back the bolt out.

Yeah i bolted it back up, guess i'll see when i have to pull the header. Thank you

Hello

Thanks
Highway

Well what was the thread size? And what was the length of the heli-coil? And how much thread engagement did the bolt have? That is the all important question.

If the Heli-coil was a 1D length (lg equal to 1X bolt diam), its probably likely the bolt contacted the tang - depending on how far down into threaded hole you installed that Heli-coil. But who knows what happened to the tang? You'll find out when you go back in.

Now if it was a 1.5D or 2D length Heli-coil, bolt may have never even touched the tang. Esp if Heli-coil was installed deep, but depends on length of thread engagement..

Back