What's new
What's new

Form or cut tap for chasing tight threads in nickel plate brass?

richard newman

Titanium
I use a lot of nickel plated brass hardware on my banjos, and often internal threads need to be chased because they are too tight. Threads range from 6-32 to 10-24. sometimes 8-26 (custom made taps)

I've been using cutting taps, but wonder if I should be using forming taps? Seems the nickel should be tough on cutting edges. I really like the form taps for stuff I make, especially in blind holes.

I'd try a forming tap, since the threads are already cut in and you just need to "loosen them up".

Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Short piece of threaded rod in a cordless drill plus some clover compound. Clean up is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short piece of threaded rod in a cordless drill plus some clover compound. Clean up is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. I used that technique on a big threaded hole in a welded part. Turned sorta oval shaped after welding. I needed it to turn smooth and didnt have a tap that large. Couple minutes with some aluminum oxide compound and a bolt and it's butter smooth.

Tbanks for the replies. These are parts sorta like fancy acorn nuts that I'm buying, not my tap that's causing trouble. Cut tap chases them just fine.

If I start making these myself, I'd drill and form tap after plating. Better threads and no crap stuck in the blind holes.

Tbanks for the replies. These are parts sorta like fancy acorn nuts that I'm buying, not my tap that's causing trouble. Cut tap chases them just fine.

If I start making these myself, I'd drill and form tap after plating. Better threads and no crap stuck in the blind holes.
Right. In something like brass, especially with an already cut tap, and especially especially in a bind hole, a form tap aughtta be quicker since you aren't making chips. Plus wear isn't much of a concern.

Back