What's new
What's new

Form tap or cutting tap for M14

blek

Plastic
Hi all

I have some 6061 T6 I'm looking to drill and thread with an M14 x 1.00 in a manual lathe and was wondering what would be the tap type of choice for the pros, a gun nose (sprial point), or form tap?

I haven't used form taps before but I understand they can be run harder and faster with less breakages? How are they at 14mm? Would they be good for the 6061 or should I stick with what I know and go the gun nose?

Thanks all 👍

M14x1? In aluminum? Should be a walk in the park with a form tap. Drill or bore the hole to 13.5mm, good oil, and hit it at 300+ RPM. You do have instant reverse, right?

Ed.

M14x1? In aluminum? Should be a walk in the park with a form tap. Drill or bore the hole to 13.5mm, good oil, and hit it at 300+ RPM. You do have instant reverse, right?

Ed.

Hi Ed

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the ease with the form tap. Yes instant reverse available for power tapping.

Ed.

Sorry Ed one more Q. I have heard that form tapping can deform the entry and exit, should I champer before or after form tapping?

Sorry Ed one more Q. I have heard that form tapping can deform the entry and exit, should I champer before or after form tapping?

I like before - and beware form taps are usually?? a lot more $$ than cut taps - especially in ''none preferred'' sizes

Yes, I would chamfer. It's always a good habit.

However, when I get a large "wart" at the top of the hole I increase the drill diameter a few thou. It takes less power and the thread % is essentially the same.

Chamfer before, then then any deformation stays below the surface. Use a tap made for aluminum, most coatings are not aluminum friendly.

Ed.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm getting all my ducks in a row atm and was wondering if 1mm clearance would make much difference for the thread forming process? 17/32 (13.49mm equivalent), reamers seem to be more available then 13.5mm (a bit cheaper too), so would the 1mm make much of a difference with the fine pitch?

Cheers

A smart man learns from his own mistakes; a wise man from other's.

I asked precisely the same question here years ago.

Being neither smart nor wise, I really didn't listen to the advice until I found out the hard way.

1. You need to use the carriage to feed the tap at 1mm.

2. Precise reamer size is vital. It's not- and you'll understand if you think for a moment- like a cut tap- where hole size is can be a broad range-
It needs to be precise. http://media.guhring.com/documents/tech/Charts/FormTapDrill.pdf

Those two things, and it was a breeze!

Any reason not to use a lower rpm for the first few until you get the hang of it? I would not think rpm made any difference in quality of the finished product or tool life, but I have never used form taps. Would the preferred rpm be similar to cutting taps depending on diameter and pitch.
Bil lD

Back