What's new
What's new

Form turning aluminum tube

Vishwarath

Plastic
Capture.jpgWe are in the process of form turning Aluminum tube on a lathe. The purpose is to reduce the end cross section of the tube from OD 12.5mm to dia 10mm for 30mm at one end. The tube thickness is 1.25mm through out. Drawing is attached. For this, the tool is placed just at the Bottom dead centre of w/p and progressively 'fed' transversely in three-four passes. We find some shape inconsistencies in this process. What should be the speed and nature of the tool to be used.?

If you look at the drawing the ID is supposed to "shrink" with the OD.

OD - ID

12.8 - 10.5
down to ->
10.2 - 8.2

Looks to me as if you would need to size the tube first. Id probably try mounting two smooth rollers in my knurling caliper and size the tube down to nominal. That Aluminum better be soft...
Drill the ID if it got too small.

The person who designed this part deserves to get his/her butt whipped....

View attachment 103659We are in the process of form turning Aluminum tube on a lathe. The purpose is to reduce the end cross section of the tube from OD 12.5mm to dia 10mm for 30mm at one end. The tube thickness is 1.25mm through out. Drawing is attached. For this, the tool is placed just at the Bottom dead centre of w/p and progressively 'fed' transversely in three-four passes. We find some shape inconsistencies in this process. What should be the speed and nature of the tool to be used.?

The drawing dimensions do not match the dimensions written in the question. The drawing does not show details of the inner diameter, in particular the location and shape of the transition from the large to the small inner diameter, so the part cannot be made, even by drilling solid bar. I have to wonder if this is some sort of school test question written by a person lacking practical knowledge. If a real part, the small end would have to be swaged before turning down.

Larry

I don't know what those ^ guys mean, but i have done this before, with a single ball bearing roller tool on a manual lathe. Like Zonko said, two bearings in a pinch tool would be better.

I wonder if it would do better with a mandrel inside.

Enlisting a tube swaging place would be best of all.

I have been considering doing a similar thing in making tapered ends to aluminum tubing in the lathe. My untried approach was to use smooth rollers replacing the knurls in a scissor type knurling tool.

Don Clement

Are you using opposing tools or trying to do this with one tool? Are you using lubricant? Are you using a mandrel? The process can be sensitive to material. Do some batches of material draw down better than others? What is the grade of aluminum? Have you tried a better grade? Is your stock running true? Are you holding the stock in a collet? Is the collet hole clean and round? Is this and automatic machine or are you hand feeding?

The cold drawing process is very sensitive to speed. Speed helps the material self heat and flow. Too much heat and the material will gall and tear. You will just have to try different speeds to see what works best.

Back