What's new
What's new

Plastic tubing to cover emt conduit for lacquered items - advice needed

richard newman

Titanium
I want to cover some 1/2" metal conduit (.710" od) with plastic or rubber tubing to hold lacquered banjo rims. Looking for the least expensive material that will not attack a lacquered surface. I'm pretty sure that the plasticizers in pvc will attack lacquer, don't know about other plastics or rubbers. Any suggestions for materials and sources? Need 20-30 feet at present.

Fresh lacquer is so reactive, I wouldn't trust any plastic material - I'd grab my hot-melt glue gun and wrap 'em with some regular cotton cloth, felt or thin leather.

Just remembering that we used to ship furniture wrapped in 1/8" micro-foam that was completely harmless to freshly lacquered surfaces. Can't remember if that stuff was polypropylene or polyethylene?

Gluing on felt would work, wasn't thinking "old school", hoping for a simple slip on sleeve.

i have some experience with this. PVC pipe probably does not have any plasticizers in it, and that is what attacks laqure. however there is no reason to risk it. polyethlyene and polypropylene are safe bets. either tubing over the emt. or a psa tape. PEX is cross linked polyethylene and will work.

Thanks John, that's what I wanted to know. I can get polyethylene for less that $1/ft from McM, that seems the way to go. Won't take but a minute to get them installed, and then back to work.

Back