What's new
What's new

Foundation requirements for 30' x 30' by ~2T bridge crane?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hi all!

My non-profit shop construction project in West Africa is on hold as I'm back in the U.S. to be with my wife's family because her mom is sick. I'm trying to finish up the drawings for the building so that when we're able to go back, we can hit the ground running.

While I was recently over there, I was able to scavenge some steel beams for the building which have opened up some new possibilities. I don't have enough to replace all of the building's reinforced concrete columns with steel, but I do have enough to replace a bunch of the central ones, enough to make it worth the effort to design to allow for a future bridge crane, I think.

Here's a render of the shop (13mb): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yaF2UKLx1Dw-3kqoWzFsZvmcr69jmoPu

Basically, the large central area will be the sawing, forming, and fab area. The long room furthest away is the machining room. The red columns are the ones that I can now replace with steel. (The 9th one, that doesn't have an opposing twin, is just to get rid of that jib crane with one attached to the beam, just strong enough to hold a small mig welder).

Our normal method of construction would have each of those columns sitting on top of a 2' x 2' footing that's sunk about 2' deep. What I'm wondering is if I need to beef that up if those newly-steel columns were to support a 2 ton bridge crane. I have a very helpful installation doc from one of the crane companies which clearly lists the foundation requirements for each size of jib crane they sell, but I haven't been able to find such a document related to bridge cranes. The span is about 30' and the total travel of the bridge would also be about 30' (supported every ~10') in this scenario.

So, while I'm not asking for an engineering stamp from anyone here - I know you've all been around a lot of cranes. Do you know if any special foundation requirements are normal for a relatively-light-as-far-as-a-bridge-crane situation like this? Also, does anyone have any experience for what beam size would be used for the two stationary transverse beams, and for the single movable one?

As a side note, I'm also considering finding a few more shorter beams to replace ones on the outside wall of the machining room which would allow a second, shorter-spanned and lighter duty (maybe 1T) bridge in the machining room for moving heavy parts around. The problem is that the outer walls are only 10' and I'm afraid a bridge in there will be really low by the time it's all mounted.

Both of these cranes also have the unfortunate disadvantage that I don't have enough columns to extend them far enough to be able to park against a wall, so they'll be in the way, hanging significantly lower than the point of the roof trusses, in the middle of the room. But, they can be moved when needed.

Hi all!

My non-profit shop construction project in West Africa is on hold as I'm back in the U.S. to be with my wife's family because her mom is sick. I'm trying to finish up the drawings for the building so that when we're able to go back, we can hit the ground running.

While I was recently over there, I was able to scavenge some steel beams for the building which have opened up some new possibilities. I don't have enough to replace all of the building's reinforced concrete columns with steel, but I do have enough to replace a bunch of the central ones, enough to make it worth the effort to design to allow for a future bridge crane, I think.

Here's a render of the shop (13mb): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yaF2UKLx1Dw-3kqoWzFsZvmcr69jmoPu

Basically, the large central area will be the sawing, forming, and fab area. The long room furthest away is the machining room. The red columns are the ones that I can now replace with steel. (The 9th one, that doesn't have an opposing twin, is just to get rid of that jib crane with one attached to the beam, just strong enough to hold a small mig welder).

Our normal method of construction would have each of those columns sitting on top of a 2' x 2' footing that's sunk about 2' deep. What I'm wondering is if I need to beef that up if those newly-steel columns were to support a 2 ton bridge crane. I have a very helpful installation doc from one of the crane companies which clearly lists the foundation requirements for each size of jib crane they sell, but I haven't been able to find such a document related to bridge cranes. The span is about 30' and the total travel of the bridge would also be about 30' (supported every ~10') in this scenario.

So, while I'm not asking for an engineering stamp from anyone here - I know you've all been around a lot of cranes. Do you know if any special foundation requirements are normal for a relatively-light-as-far-as-a-bridge-crane situation like this? Also, does anyone have any experience for what beam size would be used for the two stationary transverse beams, and for the single movable one?

As a side note, I'm also considering finding a few more shorter beams to replace ones on the outside wall of the machining room which would allow a second, shorter-spanned and lighter duty (maybe 1T) bridge in the machining room for moving heavy parts around. The problem is that the outer walls are only 10' and I'm afraid a bridge in there will be really low by the time it's all mounted.

Both of these cranes also have the unfortunate disadvantage that I don't have enough columns to extend them far enough to be able to park against a wall, so they'll be in the way, hanging significantly lower than the point of the roof trusses, in the middle of the room. But, they can be moved when needed.

I am not a engineer but have had 4 bridge cranes installed by crane companies and the design was done by a pe so I have just a little bit of experience.
The first thing that you have to take into account is soil type, and what it does when it's wet and dry. The foundation for a crane on sand with clay underneath was totally different than on volcanic rock.
Then you have to determin how high and what bracing will be on the beams. If the beams are going to be 20' tall and you are not wanting any lower bracing then the piers in the ground need to be able to stabilize the crane. If you are putting x bracing between vertical supports there is almost no requirement for piers.
Other factors like is the bridge motorized and does it have 2 speed travel etc. Will also affect design. Think about a 4000 lbs part traveling and then stopping. Why some of the new cranes have electronics to speed and slow travel.
We have 2 cranes same size one is just on piers poured 3' down and tied into the floor pad. One has 10' deep piers, tied together with cable in both directions at 10' and 5' and it's tied to the building frame.
Bottom line is you need to provide a lot more information on your site situation and I would have someone with crane engineering experience at least reviewing your plans.
Good luck

Jason:

Cranes are tricky because, as the post above suggests, they are dynamically loaded. When a 2 ton load moving down-shop stops suddenly there's a large horizontal inertial force put into the crane rails and the crane rail beams. Similarly, when that load is moving cross-shop and it stops a horizontal load is put into the crane rails, crane rail beams and the columns. If the structure supporting the crane isn’t stiff enough and this lateral force is high enough it can pull the crane off its rail and allow it to drop to the floor. Obviously this is pretty serious. Building columns are often sized mainly for the vertical gravity loads and are usually not designed for any significant horizontal forces. There are several ways to resist those horizontal forces - for example in the longitudinal down-shop direction vertical cross (X) bracing looks like it could be placed in the first and last bays on each side. Use say 3/4" diameter bars connected at the very top and bottom of each column. For the lateral cross-shop loads it looks a little trickier. You could run a horizontal beam out to the adjacent exterior column, but as explained that column probably wasn't designed to carry that lateral force. On the outside you could add a small diagonal bracing beam down to a footing in the ground - think flying buttress. The diagonal braces could be inside the shop connected directly to the columns carrying the crane. However they will take up floor space.

As to your sizing questions the main crane beam would probably be in the 14” range – say W14x43. The crane rail beams would be, say, W10x26. You could probably run the crane wheels directly on the top flange of the crane rail beam and eliminate the rail. I’m guessing you most likely have metric beams available to you so you’d have to convert those sizes to the nearest metric equivalent. I’m assuming you're top running the crane beam and the hoist is suspended from the bottom flange of the crane beam.

In the US the building codes generally allow a maximum of 1,500 psf load on soils unless a geotechnical engineer determines that it can be higher. So you would add up the portion of dead loads – lifted load, rigging, hoist, hoist trolley, crane beam, crane rail beam, etc - acting on each column. Any other loads such as roof structure loads, the column weight, and the footing weight would be included as well. Then divide this load by the 1,500 psf allowable and that gives you your footing size.

Sorry for the long post, but these things can kill you so it’s best to be cautious. Also, there are still many many details that I haven’t covered.

Kudos for the great work you’re doing.

Regards,

DB

Wrong kind of engineer, however..... FWIW

For the lengthwise forces (along the craneway) you can probably set up one pair of columns on each side to carry the lengthwise load, by arranging them with x bracing, and preferably a spreader at the bottom. That would hold it securely rectangular, and not let any overturning forces get to the other columns. It would only block one bay from side access.

Sideways, each column needs the bracing, since nothing very substantial probably is holding the two crane track beams apart, so there is no effective linkage between them as there is with the lengthwise framing.

Yes, that 2 x 2 seems small. Roof load, dead load, plus a max lift with the crane right over a column and lifting at the extreme nearest position to the column. I don't know if any dynamic load on that needs to be included, since dirt does not give way quickly unless it is mud. With the rainstorms that I understand can happen over there in some places, deeper may be better, to get away from surface mud and into something with a consistent bearing capability.

Thank you all for the helpful responses.

While it isn't proper testing, a pocket penetrometer shows the dry clay is bearing at least 5000 psf (the limit of the penetrometer). Certainly, if wet, that number is going to go way down, but we'll need to set up good drainage anyway (and fortunately have a good slope nearby to divert the water to). So, since the crane isn't connecting to footings on the perimeter of the building, it's reasonable to assume that the footings in question should be sitting on fairly dry dirt, even in a hard rain. 20 feet deep, you're down to gravel and rock.

I'm not especially concerned about the footings dealing with the dead load of the crane + load + wall + roof. That's fairly calculable. The points you're raising about the forces of slowing and stopping the load are the kind of info I needed to consider. Now that I have a guestimate on the beam sizes, it seems like the bridge itself is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 1500#. Because this isn't going to be needed more often than twice a week or so, I had not planned to power the movement of the bridge - I was hoping that instead a pull line at each end would let me have a guy on each side pulling to move the bridge along the rails. If we head this direction, short of the load slamming into something, there shouldn't be any rapid shock putting horizontal force on the columns. If I have to power it, I think a VFD with a nice long decel time would help. Still, you never know when you're going to snag on something, so I like the idea of the diagonal bracing on the first and last beams.

JST, joists will be linking the columns sideways - both holding the rail-bearing columns apart, and linking the rail-bearing column to the column on the perimeter of the building as well. I know they're not really designed to be strong in compression, but the weight of the roof will also help keep them spread out. Also, two of them (unfortunately on the same side) will also have a wall and wall cap bond beam tied into them. For 6500# of combined crane/track/load, does that seem adequate?

Joists.jpg

Again, I realize I'm only getting inclinations, not engineering stamps - that's all I'm asking for.

I can appreciate your desire to save money, we all do, but you are dealing with life risk here. Under no circumstances should you go with engineering advice from this forum. It isn't just legal litigation, which I suspect is a non-issue in Africa, unlike in the first world, but a mistake here can kill people. Get a professional to do the specs, don't be stupid.

I can appreciate your desire to save money, we all do, but you are dealing with life risk here. Under no circumstances should you go with engineering advice from this forum. It isn't just legal litigation, which I suspect is a non-issue in Africa, unlike in the first world, but a mistake here can kill people. Get a professional to do the specs, don't be stupid.

Steve -

In a perfect world you are right - maybe I should say perfect, developed Western world. Jason is not operating in that world and will have to make the call on what is adequate.

Reminds me of a conversation in Guatemala in - I think - 1993 or 4. At the time I commanded a combat engineer outfit, reserve component, Army. We got tagged to send people down the next year to work with Guatemalans in building/adding on some clinics, schools and upgrading some roads. Funding was a combination State Department / DOD / host country - with the host country mostly 'in kind' as I remember. This was in mountainous/coffee growing region. Construction called for concrete block walls, durawall the only reinforcement, simple shed roof, etc. When we got done with the field work we had one day back in Guatemala City and I had a meeting with a the head Guatemalan Army engineer, who oversaw things on their end. Nice guy, seemed competent technically. During our time together I asked him why we were not building to more of an earthquake spec. He gave me a sad look and said his choice was to try and help the well being of as many people as possible or maybe build one small structure. From what I saw what we were going to do was comparable or better than the 'local building code'.

Sometimes in life you have to make some very hard choices - and at times it even gets into the life safety realm. Not desirable, but it happens.

My hat is off to people like Jason who are trying to make a difference in the world. And I'll hold off any structural comments - he has gotten very appropriate and good suggestions already. Not sure a retired mechanical engineer who was also trained by Fort Belvoir as a military civil engineer could add much more - unless we were preparing to 'blow it in place'.

Dale

Dale,
This is NOT one of those hard choices you mentioned. This is NOT an emergency situation. The few hours spent with a structural engineer would not be expensive and might even save money in the end. On the other hand, not going to one does risk lives necessarily.

I have shitty clay/sand soil with a very high water table.

I designed for 1000 PSF max with 12K on the crane and 3 ft of snow on the roof. My footings are 2' below the 8" slab. They are 5ft square and 18" thick. I poured the slab over them.

I did my crane footings a year before I poured the slab. In that timeframe a sharp friend of mine told me about a new style of monolithic slab building that's becoming popular where they incorporate thick reinforced concrete sections between all the building supports.

If you did your slab and footings same time with sections of concrete about 2ft x 2ft between the support posts you can avoid worrying about the thing tipping over.

I would have built this way if I new about it. Concrete is cheap. atleast here it is.

My crane was built by US crane as a freestanding unit. I used the 1" thick 24" square baseplates that were on the posts. If I were to do it again I'd have skipped all that baseplate crap and anchors poured in the slab and Just welded thick plates to a support structure and poured it into the slab. After concrete was poured I'd stand the posts up, get everything square and weld it together. I helped a friend build a big building on his farm this way and it was way easier/cheaper than studs/anchors, flanges and nuts.

Lots of good advice in the thread, imho.

For the OP, a reality check is also useful.
Go to your local steel merchants, with similar 30 foot spans.
Look at their beams.

The typical code is 10x overbuilt for roof gantry cranes, that are "critical" in that they will kill people if they fail.
Like amusement parks, and anything lifting 3.5 m + overhead of people.

From what I see, in my local industrial steel merchants, they have a gantry of maybe 25 m width, rated for 5 tons.
The top beam is maybe 40-50 cm tall, at most.
9 m or 30 feet is about 12x less stress, vs 25 m, it´s length x pwr 3 for a free unsupported beam.
(Yes, the gantry is somewhat supported at both ends but it´s not theoretically a rigid mount).

2T as in 2000 kg is little.
It´s the weight of a modern CUV or small SUV.

But smaller beams, that will technically be way more strong than necessary, will BEND a huge amount over a 9 m free span, under a 2 metric ton load.
This means any smaller beams will extert huge tension on the tracks, and try really hard to jump out of the tracks, when they bend.
And the tension can be way more than the mass of the load, by several multiples.
E.g. It´s how some blocks in sailboats work.
Or a centerpoint static winch.

If the overhead tracks are not anchored to the sides of a building, they can easily bend a lot.
So a relatively low 2 MT weight can bend the tracks, and stress the vertical support pillars in the horizontal direction - and they are quite flexible.
Unles the gantry is rigid, which again means taller gantry beams.

E.
Watch lifting a 6 m std flat beam, at the steel merchants.
It bends about 10-20 cm, 7-14" or so, from its own weight.
Over 9 m length, it will bend about double.
Length pwr 3.

Perhaps find a similar crane somewhere, and just copy the dimensions they use.
Give or take, it will be stronger than 10x the rated load, and the strength is more than the failure load.

I also suggest looking at construction cranes in building sites.
They use space struts, and are mostly air, and are ridiculously light for the huge leverage and often big loads they swing.
The space strut steel lattice should be available in builders merchants, and is cheap.

You maybe could use it to stabilise the rails horizontally and probably carry the crane into the ends of the building, getting it out of the way.
It´s quite cheap, and rigid in in all planes, unlike anything else cheap, afaik.
The builders merchants struts are similar to grade 8.8 bolts vs 12.8 bolts from a top industrial supplier.
They are not tested, tempered, certified, for bridge use.
Half the strength in 8.8 vs 12.8, with maybe 30% less reliability.
Just get a bigger one.

But if You go up in section size, which is quite cheap, the end result is very good.
Section size increases strength and rigidity enormously, and You don´t have the constraint of looks, or space.
A bigger section is not much more expensive.

Anecdote.
I once designed and built an amusement park ride, with a similar load, from wood, 4.5 m beam clearance 4 m high, with overhead gantry and 1000 kg "max load" rated to 450 kg, (4 people, plus 250 kg plastic ball of 3.5 m diamter, aka 12 feet D).
The actual carrying capacity was somewhere above 2000-3000 kg, and impossible to measure.
About 16 m long with the steep ramp at the end.
Needed to be ultralight, so I built it from plywood, with a a reverse stressed-skin structure, like a wood boat inside out.

Like a house deck but with ribs and diagonals lke a boat below, crossed, but decked with a *double* layer of plywood screwed to both longitudinal and transverse ribs.
Screwed with == 3000 screws, 65 x 6 mm, every 120 mm or so, 30 cm centers.
So the (double) skin was the structural load-carrying member, not the beams underneath.
And any failure would have required shearing the screws, simultaneously, in great qty, all at once.
And shearing 2 layers of the plywood, all at once, across tens to hundreds of screws.

It was very much inspected by a very good industrial engineer from wales, nice guy, who officially inspected and signed lots of UK amusement park rides.
And it was insured like an overhead crane.
We had no issues passing the inspection.
I talked to the very nice guy in advance, who advised us, and said that as long as you use industrial components and build it 10x the rated load, there will be no issues.

We guesstimated that the deck would have held 8000 kg, maybe more, steadily distributed.
On a 2 person passenger load, aka customers, plus 2 staff and 250 kg ball, there was no issue at all.

My anecdote is a bit to show that really safe and really good structures can be done with not much money, and can be perfectly safe and pass industrial inspections.

Lots of good advice in the thread, imho.

For the OP, a reality check is also useful.
Go to your local steel merchants, with similar 30 foot spans.
Look at their beams.

The typical code is 10x overbuilt for roof gantry cranes, that are "critical" in that they will kill people if they fail.
Like amusement parks, and anything lifting 3.5 m + overhead of people.

From what I see, in my local industrial steel merchants, they have a gantry of maybe 25 m width, rated for 5 tons.
The top beam is maybe 40-50 cm tall, at most.
9 m or 30 feet is about 12x less stress, vs 25 m, it´s length x pwr 3 for a free unsupported beam.
(Yes, the gantry is somewhat supported at both ends but it´s not theoretically a rigid mount).

2T as in 2000 kg is little.
It´s the weight of a modern CUV or small SUV.

But smaller beams, that will technically be way more strong than necessary, will BEND a huge amount over a 9 m free span, under a 2 metric ton load.
This means any smaller beams will extert huge tension on the tracks, and try really hard to jump out of the tracks, when they bend.
And the tension can be way more than the mass of the load, by several multiples.
E.g. It´s how some blocks in sailboats work.
Or a centerpoint static winch.

If the overhead tracks are not anchored to the sides of a building, they can easily bend a lot.
So a relatively low 2 MT weight can bend the tracks, and stress the vertical support pillars in the horizontal direction - and they are quite flexible.
Unles the gantry is rigid, which again means taller gantry beams.

E.
Watch lifting a 6 m std flat beam, at the steel merchants.
It bends about 10-20 cm, 7-14" or so, from its own weight.
Over 9 m length, it will bend about double.
Length pwr 3.

Perhaps find a similar crane somewhere, and just copy the dimensions they use.
Give or take, it will be stronger than 10x the rated load, and the strength is more than the failure load.

I also suggest looking at construction cranes in building sites.
They use space struts, and are mostly air, and are ridiculously light for the huge leverage and often big loads they swing.
The space strut steel lattice should be available in builders merchants, and is cheap.

You maybe could use it to stabilise the rails horizontally and probably carry the crane into the ends of the building, getting it out of the way.
It´s quite cheap, and rigid in in all planes, unlike anything else cheap, afaik.
The builders merchants struts are similar to grade 8.8 bolts vs 12.8 bolts from a top industrial supplier.
They are not tested, tempered, certified, for bridge use.
Half the strength in 8.8 vs 12.8, with maybe 30% less reliability.
Just get a bigger one.

But if You go up in section size, which is quite cheap, the end result is very good.
Section size increases strength and rigidity enormously, and You don´t have the constraint of looks, or space.
A bigger section is not much more expensive.

Anecdote.
I once designed and built an amusement park ride, with a similar load, from wood, 4.5 m beam clearance 4 m high, with overhead gantry and 1000 kg "max load" rated to 450 kg, (4 people, plus 250 kg plastic ball of 3.5 m diamter, aka 12 feet D).
The actual carrying capacity was somewhere above 2000-3000 kg, and impossible to measure.
About 16 m long with the steep ramp at the end.
Needed to be ultralight, so I built it from plywood, with a a reverse stressed-skin structure, like a wood boat inside out.

Like a house deck but with ribs and diagonals lke a boat below, crossed, but decked with a *double* layer of plywood screwed to both longitudinal and transverse ribs.
Screwed with == 3000 screws, 65 x 6 mm, every 120 mm or so, 30 cm centers.
So the (double) skin was the structural load-carrying member, not the beams underneath.
And any failure would have required shearing the screws, simultaneously, in great qty, all at once.
And shearing 2 layers of the plywood, all at once, across tens to hundreds of screws.

It was very much inspected by a very good industrial engineer from wales, nice guy, who officially inspected and signed lots of UK amusement park rides.
And it was insured like an overhead crane.
We had no issues passing the inspection.
I talked to the very nice guy in advance, who advised us, and said that as long as you use industrial components and build it 10x the rated load, there will be no issues.

We guesstimated that the deck would have held 8000 kg, maybe more, steadily distributed.
On a 2 person passenger load, aka customers, plus 2 staff and 250 kg ball, there was no issue at all.

My anecdote is a bit to show that really safe and really good structures can be done with not much money, and can be perfectly safe and pass industrial inspections.

What does any of that have to do with the footing requirements?

The beam and column sizing is easy for a crane.

The foundation and bracing is not. That's what this thread is about. It's really hard to tell what kind of footing is buried underneath a crane support. Because it's buried. Then you don't know why they made it that way. Or if they even cared/did the math.

Interesting to note that 2 post auto lifts don't need any kind of footing requirements until they get past about 12k lbs. That's 3 ton per column and plenty of bending forces.

Dale,
This is NOT one of those hard choices you mentioned. This is NOT an emergency situation. The few hours spent with a structural engineer would not be expensive and might even save money in the end. On the other hand, not going to one does risk lives necessarily.

Steve -

Maybe I have missed something on the OP background, etc. I'm making an assumption - could well be wrong - that he is involved in a very low overhead operation. Ideally I agree with you as to a good solution. And if his is some kind of - for lack of a better term - 'nonprofit/nation helping/building' then he might well be able to get a few hours of consulting help gratis. I just don't know what 'would not be expensive' is to him.

Point I was trying to make is that in life there are trade offs many times due to whatever situation one finds themself in. My last job prior to retiring I was one of two signatures needed to certify flight safety on a development program. I am familiar with engineering analysis and risk. My environment although stressful was one where it was possible to do an accurate risk determination. And I was not doing it on a financial shoe string - nor was anyone 'shooting real bullets at us'. Situations change and decision making has to adapt - and one has to understand the entire environment a decision is being made in.

I hope he is able to get a structural person to take a look at it. Would definitely be best.

Dale

It would be nice to get a PE to inspect it but... how to do that online? I doubt there are any working PE's in 500 miles of him. What professional wants to sign off on plans for another country with unknown liability laws. I understand in China, and many other asian counties, if the building fails and kills people, espically children, the engineer and builder are expected to commit suicide. This prevents formal investigations where government leaders get caught taking bribes and exicucted for there complicity in poor workmenship that killed people.
Bill D

Back