What's new
What's new

Fray Type 4 All Angle Mill - Before I Buy..

StainingSteel

Plastic
So I am looking at getting a mill for my home shop. I found a Fray Type 4 for less than $1,000 and I am wondering if it is worth it. I know nothing about these machines so I don’t know how they stack up to a used Bridgeport. The seller sent me some photos and it looks pretty dirty, and I can’t tell what the actual condition is. He said that it “runs great.” I am going to take that with a pinch of salt and two cubes of sugar at this point based on the photos.
My questions for you gents are:
1. How do they compare to a decent used Bridgeport? (I know they aren’t the most stout)
2. Can there be issues with having both the head and table able to move in three axis?
3. Would it be better to wait longer and save my money for a better machine?
4. Do you have any insight on operating/ maintaining these?
5. Any ideas on tooling size/ cost for one of these?

Picture in the link. Also, thanks in advance.

Fray Type 4 All Angle Mill - Album on Imgur

So I am looking at getting a mill for my home shop. I found a Fray Type 4 for less than $1,000 and I am wondering if it is worth it. I know nothing about these machines so I don’t know how they stack up to a used Bridgeport. The seller sent me some photos and it looks pretty dirty, and I can’t tell what the actual condition is. He said that it “runs great.” I am going to take that with a pinch of salt and two cubes of sugar at this point based on the photos.
My questions for you gents are:
1. How do they compare to a decent used Bridgeport? (I know they aren’t the most stout)
2. Can there be issues with having both the head and table able to move in three axis?
3. Would it be better to wait longer and save my money for a better machine?
4. Do you have any insight on operating/ maintaining these?
5. Any ideas on tooling size/ cost for one of these?

Picture in the link. Also, thanks in advance.

Fray Type 4 All Angle Mill - Album on Imgur

Well.. just what is it you plan to DO with it?

Not at its best milling coffee beans or corn.

A bit too light to work live steam locomotives, full-scale..

Help us help you, here.

A friend here close by has one. Very neat and capable machine. I'm not a Bridgeport fan, but I'd love to have one if I had space for something like it. It can do anything a Bridgeport can do, times about three with the cross slide on the ram, and time another three if it has the horizontal spindle in the column. I think some have an odd spindle taper, but his is NMTB30.

Well.. just what is it you plan to DO with it?

Not at its best milling coffee beans or corn.

A bit too light to work live steam locomotives, full-scale..

Help us help you, here.

Not to be rude, but isn’t that a silly question? Every person I have known that has owned or worked in a machine shop has pushed their machines to the limit. Like any of us I’m not planning to do only one operation for the next twenty years. I am however looking for some insight as to the build quality and usefulness of said machine. I have some experience on Bridgeport’s but I have only seen photos of Frays.
Any actual opinion or insight is welcomed.
Thanks!

A friend here close by has one. Very neat and capable machine. I'm not a Bridgeport fan, but I'd love to have one if I had space for something like it. It can do anything a Bridgeport can do, times about three with the cross slide on the ram, and time another three if it has the horizontal spindle in the column. I think some have an odd spindle taper, but his is NMTB30.

I know that there are lots of machines available, I just use a Bridgeport as the Big Mac of analogies. Most of us have had one or known someone who has.
I am mainly concerned that the duplicated ranges of motion, while sometimes convenient, would double backlash and error. It definitely looks like a useful tool with the 7 or 8 axis/ options of adjustment.
Thanks.

A big percentage of the work I do on my BP is drilling and tapping one-offs, or parts that don't fit on a VMC.

That machine doesn't appear to have a free floating quill, which would seriously limit the usefulness of the machine to me.

Back