What's new
What's new

Friction between two similar and dissimilar metals. Wear issues.

Corn

Aluminum
Hello All,

I’ve got an interesting friction related issue that I’m trying to solve. So there are two sliding surfaces where contact area is 1292 sq mm / 2 sq in and they move back and forth hand operated, so slowly. First design both were EN-AW 2007 Aluminum and no anodizing or any kind of surface treatment. Just lubrication between, tried different types of oils and greases. Problem is that metal to metal contact happens and scratches and wear appear. Both contact surfaces were grind by 400 grit sand paper on top of glass so surface is very smooth.

So the question is, is there any chance to get untreated AL to AL surfaces make work together as a slider with any lubricant between? I was thinking that could any of the grit from sandpaper embed to the AL causing scratches and wear? Or maybe too fine surface and there is no crevices for the lubrication to stay to prevent metal to metal contact..

Second attempt was that I changed the other part to tool steel and tempered it. Also grind it to smooth with the same method. Same scratching and wear appear but on plus side it slides easier.

Unfortunately it is not possible to add any friction reducing part like UHMWPE or PTFE between, so that is not an option. I was thinking of what surface treatment/coatings methods available that could reduce friction but not add thickness? Nicasil, anodizing, ptfe coating etc? If it could be possible to manage without separate lubricants, that would be the best.

If coating method increase thickness, is it known beforehand as then I would need to take that in account in the design. Currently it basically doesn’t have any clearance between the two or max. 0.01mm.

Suggestions / thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I think you need to make the surfaces much smoother. 400 grit is the start, keep going to 2000 grit. Consider polishing, Scratches in two smooth services indicate either contamination or the surfaces aren't flat enough.

I think REM finishing, or WPC treatment which have been used in racing applications might be worth investigating.

Grit from the sanding operation could be embedded and cause a problem but as Gordon said aluminum sliding against aluminum doesn't work well. A good anti-friction coating would help delay but not prevent it.

Raw aluminum oxidizes fairly quickly.
Aluminum oxide is a very good abrasive.

Either a wear-resistant coating or a change of material is in order.
Cast iron comes to mind.

You don't give any information on how clean the environment is...does it get sand or dirt or other junk in it? If so, you're probably done with using aluminum.

I'd do what others have suggested....and certainly the people who apply coatings should be consulted. Of course, they'll tell you their coatings are impenetrable, and they aren't. But they would help, most likely.

As said, make the surfaces flat and polished. A big help is to increase surface area. This will minimize high corner pressures and will maintain an oil film better. Loading at the block center will improve things also.

I’ve got an interesting friction related issue that I’m trying to solve. So there are two sliding surfaces where contact area is 1292 sq mm / 2 sq in and they move back and forth hand operated, so slowly. First design both were EN-AW 2007 Aluminum and no anodizing or any kind of surface treatment. Just lubrication between, tried different types of oils and greases. Problem is that metal to metal contact happens and scratches and wear appear. Both contact surfaces were grind by 400 grit sand paper on top of glass so surface is very smooth.

So the question is, is there any chance to get untreated AL to AL surfaces make work together as a slider with any lubricant between? I was thinking that could any of the grit from sandpaper embed to the AL causing scratches and wear? Or maybe too fine surface and there is no crevices for the lubrication to stay to prevent metal to metal contact.

Al on Al is hopeless - it will gall. The issue is not "friction" per se, as there is no mention of max allowed sliding force (parallel to plates) or applied pressure (perpendicular to plates).

We don't have enough information about the intended use, but one classic dodge is to hard anodize the parts. PTFE coating or infusion of the anodize surface can also help.

Second attempt was that I changed the other part to tool steel and tempered it. Also grind it to smooth with the same method. Same scratching and wear appear but on plus side it slides easier.

Steel on steel also tends to gall. Stainless steel on aluminum bronze will work well.

Cast iron on cast iron can also work.

Unfortunately it is not possible to add any friction reducing part like UHMWPE or PTFE between, so that is not an option.

Why not? This is a critical bit of information.

I was thinking of what surface treatment/coatings methods available that could reduce friction but not add thickness? Nicasil, anodizing, ptfe coating etc? If it could be possible to manage without separate lubricants, that would be the best.

If coating method increase thickness, is it known beforehand as then I would need to take that in account in the design. Currently it basically doesn’t have any clearance between the two or max. 0.01mm.

Why cannot the two metal plates be made slightly thinner to accommodate a bearing layer?

I recall a youtube video on diy nicasil, i think it was by "twostrokestuffing" 2 or two? It's finnicky but doable. The guy is building a supercharged 50cc land speed record bike engine.

FYI merc use aluminium nicasil coated cylinders now, albeit oil lubricated. So cast iron on nicasil with oil has potential.

Back