What's new
What's new

Friction/Torque Hinge Design

CMacine

Plastic
Hello

I need to design a hinge that requires 5-20 Ft/Lbs to rotate, is smooth to operate, and has a luxurious tactile feel to it. The hinge simply holds a touch screen in place on a machine in the medical industry.
The tension will be adjustable by means of a screw pulling together a split ring.
My question is what material should it be made from? I would assume some kind of plastic?

Thanks

Tip: learn about damping greases, heavily used in high-touch equipment (camera lenses, HiFi and mixing board controls) to give that luxurious feel.

Use of a damping grease makes both your material selection and your joint tolerances much less critical.

Perhaps a double nylon washer if axial so the set will for a long time...If on a radius perhaps a nylon flat or ribbon shim between mating parts. Thinking aluminum or SS parts but plastic parts in volume are lower costs

Screen hinge devices are common so suggest you look at what is out there and not reinvent something that works.

Very interesting. Could both surfaces be anodized aluminum with the Grease? Does the Grease stay well or does it disappear over time?

Back