What's new
What's new

Funny Blake indicator story

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I have an Anschutz .22 target rifle that I used to shoot from one end of my shop to the other (100 feet) at targets. The trigger is insanely light. I told my cave man friend to give it a try and instead of aiming first them carefully loading, he racked a bullet in Rambo style before even remotely aiming. At that moment, I said "whoa, be careful super light trigger". About three seconds after I loudly warned him it went off. I realized the shot went somewhere in my shop. After a careful search I found where the shot went, right in the face of my Blake, probably the most expensive thing on the bench.
When I called Blake, they said they have a flat rate of $160 for repair, then asked the nature of the damage, a drop to the floor or getting caught in the machine. After a short pause, I replied that it got shot and there was a brief pause, then she said to repeat that. Then she told me to tell another person there what happened, then another and each time there would be a pause that I assumed was the person trying not to burst out laughing. I'm sure when it hit Blake's repair area, it was passed around to a laughing group of repair tech's.

I have a .33 caliber muzzle loading cap lock rifle. It has a set trigger where you cock the hammer, pull the rear trigger to set it, then the front trigger will fire it with the slightest touch. I have told every person who I let use it to get it aimed before even putting their finger in the trigger guard. Every single one fired it in the air at about a 45 degree angle as he was raising it to his shoulder. There is a good reason that firearms instructors teach students to hold their index fingers straight out of the trigger guard when running with handguns.

Bill

What’s the joke here? Sounds like one of a thousand other firearm stories that could have ended poorly if only one thing was different.

What’s the joke here? Sounds like one of a thousand other firearm stories that could have ended poorly if only one thing was different.

There was nothing the least bit funny about my experience, especially the realization that my careful instructions were, as the saying goes, in one ear and out the other.

Similarly, before remote readers the water and gas meters were in the shop's basement. The wood stairs had deteriorated and the bottom step was loose. I tried every way I could think of the tell them to step over it. Every one stepped on it. I made new steps. Count how many times you have to repeat to a supermarket checkout person that you don't want a bag.

Bill

I coach junior shooters in Highpower and sometimes smallbore. Whenever you give someone an Anschutz for the first time, even if they are an experienced shooter, always have them dryfire a few times first.
BTW I have all my Anschutz triggers set for two stage operation.

The real question here is if the indicator is MORE accurate when it gets back from Blake, and if you keep a gun on the bench now for all your tools to see.

I don't have anyone test firing guns in my basement, that's only for me but this does remind me of something else that happened.
I bought a huge C frame demagnetiser made by Blanchard cheap at a McDonnell Douglas auction, never had one and always wondered how it would work. I wrestled it off the back of my truck and got it in my detached garage and just had to see what it would do. I didn't have any of my magnetized tools in there but did have a small permanent magnet stuck to the mechanics box lid. I laid that on the table and brought the top down as far as it would go and hit the foot pedal to turn it on. It sounded like a bee hive and before I could get my foot off the pedal that magnet shot out of where it was and disappeared, I still don't know where it went. I looked at my truck that was sitting at the top of the drive out side of the garage, lots of clutter in the garage but no indicator if the magnet, maybe it made it to the base ball park across the street.
Dan

There was nothing the least bit funny about my experience, especially the realization that my careful instructions were, as the saying goes, in one ear and out the other.

Similarly, before remote readers the water and gas meters were in the shop's basement. The wood stairs had deteriorated and the bottom step was loose. I tried every way I could think of the tell them to step over it. Every one stepped on it. I made new steps. Count how many times you have to repeat to a supermarket checkout person that you don't want a bag.

Bill

Sorry if it wasn’t clear Bill, that was aimed at the OP. I completely agree with your baggage statement though. They get in a groove and anything different than place in bag and swipe card screwes them up.

Back