What's new
What's new

Galvanizing text

Lars Anthony

Plastic
I'm going to make some 10mm bracket(120 item's)with text that have to be galvanized. The bracket is going to be made with water jet. Are there any other way to make the text in them. I'm a bit worried that the galvanizing will close the text. Any ideas or way to make it.

Are you thinking of hot dipped? There are other ways of galvanizing, mechanical plating and probably the most common, electrogalvanizing (zinc plating) with zinc chromate conversion coating.

Tom

Don't know the correct English word for galvanized(hot galvanizing) but it's because I'm afraid when they dip that the text will "close". Don't know if you know what I mean.

Stamp the text? A group of standard stamps can be combined in a single holder to speed up the process. Of course, the stamped letters could fill up too.

Could you specify that the letters must still be open after the galvanize process. Surely they must have seen this type of problem before.

Just spitballing here, I have no real knowledge in this area, but I would think that striking the tongs holding the bracket against the rim of the pot of melted metal would shake out any that is filling up the letters. Whap, whap, whap, until they are all clear and open. Then let it cool.

I have done a lot of text that was galvanized, powdercoated, and painted.
You would need to design the text so that the cuts are not a single pass with the waterjet, but are actually typestyles with ample room. The galavnizing will cover about like dipping in honey- small holes, and narrow cut lines, will fill in. You usually have to rethread holes after galvanizing, and, often, file or grind out slots and corners that have filled in too much.
I have also engraved text with a ball mill, then galvanized, and that works pretty well, assuming your characters are 3/4" or 1" tall (20- 25mm in height, and perhaps 3mm deep).
I have also hot stamped text in steel plate, then galvanized, which works pretty well. As does cutting out positive letters, and riveting or bolting them on after they have also been galvanized.

I have made the letters 35mm tall and the cut is 10mm wide in the letters. And I will try to test it with 4 pieces at first. Don't know what -typestyles with ample room- means. Will try to post a pictures off it tomorrow.

Electro galvanizing is thinner ,and leaves no dirty black rough deposits common with hot dip.It looks like a dull chrome plate ...for a while.

If your getting crap on the Galv, find a different galvernisers, its because there not skimming the dross before pulling the parts out the bath, its a std operation.

Alternative is find a galverniser and get them to spin them, they kinda stick them in a washing machine like drum, dip them then whilst hot spin them and all the excess flies off, its how galv fastenings are done and gives you all the protection of hot dip but none of the excess zinc. Kinda similar to electro plate but with the lovely zinc iron alloy layer that only forms with heat!

Back