What's new
What's new

Gantry cranes

hooligan

Aluminum
Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback on my bandsaw dump thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/30/4578.html

Ok, so now I need to right this thing. Local tow truck guy (of which there is only one in town) says absolutely not. So that leaves me with 2 realistic options - gantry crane or engine hoist. I'm thinking a gantry crane would be the best and would also come in more handy to have around. Issue is based on cost (yes, I know when your life is hanging by quality one should not consider cost, but I have to based on severely limited funds) that my only real gantry crane option is one purchased from Harbor Freight. I hate that place, but may have to go that route. If I go with a crane it would be this one at HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41188
Keeping in mind the saw weighs 1,300 lbs, but wouldn't have to be lifted entirely off the ground - just pull it upright, think this would be ok?

Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback on my bandsaw dump thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/30/4578.html

Ok, so now I need to right this thing. Local tow truck guy (of which there is only one in town) says absolutely not. So that leaves me with 2 realistic options - gantry crane or engine hoist. I'm thinking a gantry crane would be the best and would also come in more handy to have around. Issue is based on cost (yes, I know when your life is hanging by quality one should not consider cost, but I have to based on severely limited funds) that my only real gantry crane option is one purchased from Harbor Freight. I hate that place, but may have to go that route. If I go with a crane it would be this one at HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41188
Keeping in mind the saw weighs 1,300 lbs, but wouldn't have to be lifted entirely off the ground - just pull it upright, think this would be ok?

Believe it or not I've seen that HF gantry in real life and it's pretty impressive...dirt cheap at that price. Course you need a hoist as well but they are pretty cheap and lots of used ones out there. If you have the room for it the gantry could be pretty handy for future needs.

Seems like you'd need a forklift or wrecker to assemble the gantry though...but maybe two guys and some sturdy ladders would do it..dunno..how much does the horizontal beam weigh ?

I was going to mention the HF gantry about a month ago, but I hate to promote anything HF has...plus I'd have to admit I went back to the Savannah HF ;) ...but since you bring it up anyway...

Believe it or not I've seen that HF gantry in real life and it's pretty impressive...dirt cheap at that price. Course you need a hoist as well but they are pretty cheap and lots of used ones out there. If you have the room for it the gantry could be pretty handy for future needs.

Seems like you'd need a forklift or wrecker to assemble the gantry though...but maybe two guys and some sturdy ladders would do it..dunno..how much does the horizontal beam weigh ?

I was going to mention the HF gantry about a month ago, but I hate to promote anything HF has...plus I'd have to admit I went back to the Savannah HF ;) ...but since you bring it up anyway...

I built my own adjustable gantry back in 1979. The low height is 79", so it can roll in and out of my garage. My I-beam is 12 feet long at 10 lb/ft, for a weight of 120 pounds. I can also adjust the distance between the posts. I can put it together single handed, or at least I could the last time, back in 1989.

The HF gantry has a minimum height of 99.5", so it would not fit under most residential garage doors. The adjustable height feature is not much use if it has to sit outdoors all the time. But I suppose it should fit through an industrial or motorhome size door OK. You need to raise the I-beam in order to get a tall machine like a mill on and off a pickup. You also need some way to prevent the casters from rolling while you are lifting heavy stuff. It can be tricky using a tall gantry on a sloping surface.

Larry

I built my own adjustable gantry back in 1979. The low height is 79", so it can roll in and out of my garage. My I-beam is 12 feet long at 10 lb/ft, for a weight of 120 pounds. I can also adjust the distance between the posts. I can put it together single handed, or at least I could the last time, back in 1989.

The HF gantry has a minimum height of 99.5", so it would not fit under most residential garage doors. The adjustable height feature is not much use if it has to sit outdoors all the time. But I suppose it should fit through an industrial or motorhome size door OK. You need to raise the I-beam in order to get a tall machine like a mill on and off a pickup. You also need some way to prevent the casters from rolling while you are lifting heavy stuff. It can be tricky using a tall gantry on a sloping surface.

Larry

Larry

My I-beam is W8x24 (8" deep, 24# per foot), total length of 9'. Even though the beam weighs 216#, it was no problem for two people to lift one end up and set on top of the frame, then lift the other end up & do the same. The two end frames were held in position with 2x4 lumber that was clamped to each frame.

If you don't use a beam any heavier than mine, and if you have a helper, you shouldn't have a problem.

attachment.php

-----------------
Barry Milton

My I-beam is W8x24 (8" deep, 24# per foot), total length of 9'. Even though the beam weighs 216#, it was no problem for two people to lift one end up and set on top of the frame, then lift the other end up & do the same. The two end frames were held in position with 2x4 lumber that was clamped to each frame.

If you don't use a beam any heavier than mine, and if you have a helper, you shouldn't have a problem.

attachment.php

-----------------
Barry Milton

attachment.php

-----------------
Barry Milton

Local tow truck guy (of which there is only one in town) says absolutely not.
Usually the local mom and pop shops love this, as they often are the motivated guys who started and owned the buisness, for them these types of jobs are something a little different for them to do. The chains with their cheap as can be laborers tend to stay away from such moves.

That said, all you need is a truck with some lifting capabilities. If I were in your position I'd call a few local excavating companies (you'd be surprised what a backhoe can lift), heck even maybe a crane service or companies with a boom truck. Look for small owner operated companies and tell them this is a "Cash" job at a time convenient to them! Aka, next time they are driving thru your neighborhood, they stop by, right the thing and get $75 and a case of beer for their 10-20mins of work! :D If you can't get any takers you probably aren't calling the right places.

As for Horror Freight, this is something I have posted on here in the past, and never get a good answer. With the horror stories of tool failure seen here on this site, it makes me really wonder in the day and age of people suing everyone for some extra cash, that a horror freight lifting device would be a nightmare for their laiblitity insurance policy. When people are bringing class action lawsuits forward for marking a 1/4hp motor a 1/2hp motor, I would think a Horror Freight lifting device failing with in the specified load would give lawyers nation wide wet dreams all the way to the bank!

That said perhaps they are indeed building their lifting tools to a higher grade of quality then the rest, but I don't know.

Adam

Usually the local mom and pop shops love this, as they often are the motivated guys who started and owned the buisness, for them these types of jobs are something a little different for them to do. The chains with their cheap as can be laborers tend to stay away from such moves.

That said, all you need is a truck with some lifting capabilities. If I were in your position I'd call a few local excavating companies (you'd be surprised what a backhoe can lift), heck even maybe a crane service or companies with a boom truck. Look for small owner operated companies and tell them this is a "Cash" job at a time convenient to them! Aka, next time they are driving thru your neighborhood, they stop by, right the thing and get $75 and a case of beer for their 10-20mins of work! :D If you can't get any takers you probably aren't calling the right places.

As for Horror Freight, this is something I have posted on here in the past, and never get a good answer. With the horror stories of tool failure seen here on this site, it makes me really wonder in the day and age of people suing everyone for some extra cash, that a horror freight lifting device would be a nightmare for their laiblitity insurance policy. When people are bringing class action lawsuits forward for marking a 1/4hp motor a 1/2hp motor, I would think a Horror Freight lifting device failing with in the specified load would give lawyers nation wide wet dreams all the way to the bank!

That said perhaps they are indeed building their lifting tools to a higher grade of quality then the rest, but I don't know.

Adam

Adam

Ya, that thing will do the job easily. The engine hoist will as well, at a cost of about $250.

I'd probably find the gantry a tad more useful.

Insofar as price/safety blah blah blah. I look at it this way. With that gantry, you can EASILY set up a method that if it fails, you just sit and watch it happen. That's the beauty of an engine hoist, even easier. Ya, I'd LOVE to have a billion dollar American made beauty, but that just ain't gonna happen for the $500 machines I buy.

I simply use it in the safest manner possible, within it's stated limits plus some more for my happiness with the ultimate fail safe being that if it starts to go south, I'm out of the way and merely a spectator. If I lose a $500 dollar machine someday, I'll be right here with pictures taking my beating, but hopefully helping someone else down the road.

In the meantime, believe me, I've used it to its limits with no ill effects, scares or close calls to my safety. I have had some close calls, and one dropped machine (cost $150 in broken parts) but that would have also happened with the billion dollar beauty, it was a mental screw up. And due to my methodology, I just watched it happen. Was sick to my stomach, but no where near hurt fortunately.

So, for that machine (I've got a similar machine) either will work, get the one that you'd simply like to have more.

Tools

Ya, that thing will do the job easily. The engine hoist will as well, at a cost of about $250.

I'd probably find the gantry a tad more useful.

Insofar as price/safety blah blah blah. I look at it this way. With that gantry, you can EASILY set up a method that if it fails, you just sit and watch it happen. That's the beauty of an engine hoist, even easier. Ya, I'd LOVE to have a billion dollar American made beauty, but that just ain't gonna happen for the $500 machines I buy.

I simply use it in the safest manner possible, within it's stated limits plus some more for my happiness with the ultimate fail safe being that if it starts to go south, I'm out of the way and merely a spectator. If I lose a $500 dollar machine someday, I'll be right here with pictures taking my beating, but hopefully helping someone else down the road.

In the meantime, believe me, I've used it to its limits with no ill effects, scares or close calls to my safety. I have had some close calls, and one dropped machine (cost $150 in broken parts) but that would have also happened with the billion dollar beauty, it was a mental screw up. And due to my methodology, I just watched it happen. Was sick to my stomach, but no where near hurt fortunately.

So, for that machine (I've got a similar machine) either will work, get the one that you'd simply like to have more.

Tools

Back