Garroting a tree.would it be possible? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    8,936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1770

    Default

    I remember a scifi story about a infinite thin and strong wire. The inventor keep it on a thing like a tape measure to carry around and demonstrate. After losing a finger tip or two he coated the first 2-3 feet with something so it did not do that anymore. Plan was to tie a space station to one end and anchor the other on earth. Slowly adding more weight as the string got carried higher by centrifugal force.
    Maybe Asomov?
    Bill D

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    634
    Likes (Received)
    1228

    Default

    Saw a Huge version of this, used at the Hungry Horse reservoir in MT

    SO effective that (rumor?) that it was outlawed for future land clearings.

    Land clearing: Olive Vale, Queensland, 2014. - YouTube

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    Saw a Huge version of this, used at the Hungry Horse reservoir in MT

    SO effective that (rumor?) that it was outlawed for future land clearings.

    Land clearing: Olive Vale, Queensland, 2014. - YouTube
    Some of the older members over at Heavy Equipment Forums from Oz describe how they did it that way, and a few others as well.
    Tree pushers. | Heavy Equipment Forums
    Scrub Pulling | Heavy Equipment Forums
    Last edited by digger doug; 10-07-2021 at 07:12 AM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    37
    Likes (Received)
    1160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    Saw a Huge version of this, used at the Hungry Horse reservoir in MT

    SO effective that (rumor?) that it was outlawed for future land clearings.

    Land clearing: Olive Vale, Queensland, 2014. - YouTube
    Not sure why it would be outlawed in South Texas. This brush is an invasive species. This was all tall grass prairie before it was over grazed and this stuff invaded. I have seen some 1 inch cable around the place that was used 50 to a hundred years ago. Mesquite is a little too irregular to use a cable like that on it. Root plowing has become the gold standard. A friend that saw my 6030 for the first time was thinking about getting 2 of them and putting them in tandem in front of a root plow. Government subsidies would have made it a profitable business.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    lancaster,ohio.43130
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    153

    Default

    Sinclair molecular chain by Larry Niven might be it.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1422
    Likes (Received)
    4322

    Default

    That method in Queensland is interesting but I have to note all the trees are small diameter in trunk size. I'll bet a larger tree would not give up so easily.

    I also wonder why the chain doesn't slide up the tree trunk...what keeps it at ground level? Just it's own weight?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    37
    Likes (Received)
    1160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Some of the older members over at Heavy Equipment Forums from Oz describe how they did it that way, and a few others as well.
    Tree pushers. | Heavy Equipment Forums
    Scrub Pulling | Heavy Equipment Forums
    Went to the scrub pulling and did not see any pictures, maybe because I am not a member. Here is the brush puller I use. I am not sure Remlinger makes them anymore the last time I was on their website i could not find it. I broke the 2 inch shaft the grippers pivot but it was my fault pulling out a 6 inch trunk tree and forgot to take the draft control off. Tried to lift to fast and broke the draft sensor on the lower link when the lower link jumped up to the frame the impact broke the 2 inch Stress Proof shaft. Now use it only on the 100 HP tractor. The grapple does not catch trees with less than a 2 inch caliper trunk very well is the reason I girdle smaller ones with a single trunk.
    remsideviewrs.jpgremfrontviewrs.jpg

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    634
    Likes (Received)
    1228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    That method in Queensland is interesting but I have to note all the trees are small diameter in trunk size. I'll bet a larger tree would not give up so easily.

    I also wonder why the chain doesn't slide up the tree trunk...what keeps it at ground level? Just it's own weight?
    In Montana they were mowing off OLD growth pines. Huge trees.
    They had a solid steel ball the size of a garage in the middle of the chains. The ball is still on display.
    Biggest cats they could get.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1969
    Likes (Received)
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I remember a scifi story about a infinite thin and strong wire. The inventor keep it on a thing like a tape measure to carry around and demonstrate. After losing a finger tip or two he coated the first 2-3 feet with something so it did not do that anymore. Plan was to tie a space station to one end and anchor the other on earth. Slowly adding more weight as the string got carried higher by centrifugal force.
    Maybe Asomov?
    Bill D
    I believe it's Arthur C. Clarke.
    The trick only works on the equator. Similar to synchronous satellites wich was his invention as well (or so he said!)
    fusker

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwin dirnbeck View Post
    If you could make some piano wire out of the highest tensile strength material,could you wrap it around a tree to slice it down? Edwin Dirnbeck
    You guys are thinking horizontally, you have to think vertically. Start at the top of the tree and pull down splitting the wood along the grain in 1/8" thick pieces that you can break off with your hand. Eventually the entire tree is down.😄

  11. Likes fusker liked this post
  12. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    st,louis mo
    Posts
    781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Went to the scrub pulling and did not see any pictures, maybe because I am not a member. Here is the brush puller I use. I am not sure Remlinger makes them anymore the last time I was on their website i could not find it. I broke the 2 inch shaft the grippers pivot but it was my fault pulling out a 6 inch trunk tree and forgot to take the draft control off. Tried to lift to fast and broke the draft sensor on the lower link when the lower link jumped up to the frame the impact broke the 2 inch Stress Proof shaft. Now use it only on the 100 HP tractor. The grapple does not catch trees with less than a 2 inch caliper trunk very well is the reason I girdle smaller ones with a single trunk.
    remsideviewrs.jpgremfrontviewrs.jpg
    What is draft control? Edwin Dirnbeck

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    37
    Likes (Received)
    1160

    Default

    Draft control controls the depth of plows and other implements. It senses the amount of pull on the 3 point and lifts it when extra strain is detected. I was plowing with the tractor earlier and forgot to set it back when pulling trees. To help free the larger trees I push and pull on them before lifting. It tried to snatch the "plow" out with the extreme pull. It was over in a heart beat. The break on that 2 inch shaft was clean.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BFE Nevada/San Marcos Tx
    Posts
    3,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3294
    Likes (Received)
    2084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Huisatch is fairy easy. Very little came back with ax removal. Now mesquite is a different story. Commercial root plows cut about 2 feet below the surface. Pulling one takes serious horsepower. I could probably do it with my JD 6030, but it is hard on the equipment even a dozer.
    My attachment catches the roots about a foot down, once you feel resistance curl, then start lifting and they pop right out. There were a few larger ones that required a bit more effort, in that case I would lift until the rear wheels were off the ground, then give it a down bump and let the weight of machine do the work. Easy work for a loader, might be harder on a tractor. I did snap the V plate off on one tree, it was cast, I made a new V plate out of 1" plate.

  15. #54
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3126
    Likes (Received)
    1649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    It is not all science fiction eh..

    Microtome - Wikipedia
    Microtomes are extremely sharp, with near atomic perfection of the cutting edge, but they are also extremely fragile. Try to cut something too hard, or move the work perpendicular to the blade during a cut, and that blade is toast.

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylersteez View Post
    Id imagine the tensile strength needed to garrote a tree would require some pretty thick wire. the thicker the wire, the harder for it to "slice" thru. it would end up either being too thick to wrap around a tree or the wire would have too much surface area to cut thru the tree and would squeeze the tree until the tree wont compress anymore and break the wire.

    To illustrate

    Say the tree was 20" dia and its allowable load across grain was 500 psi

    Lets assume that allowable was one fifth of actual - so at least 2500 psi to cut the stuff by pushing on it

    Lets vote for .050" wire with a tensile capability of 400K psi

    Say the .050 times the 62 inch circcummference is but a bit more than 3 square inches - or 7500 lbs required to cut it

    The trouble with the whole idea is that is at least 7500 tensile load on the wire - which reaches it's 400K psi at ten times less than 7500

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1984
    Likes (Received)
    932

    Default

    Easy to kill a tree by girdling, but it does take a couple years. A double girdle, 2" apart, at least an inch deep in the wood will do it. Here in Vermont, works well for low value trees - takes 5 minutes and doesn't harm adjacent trees the way felling would.

    Obviously not the desert southwest....


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •