What's new
What's new

Are gas regulators/tanks the same size in Europe as US?

Jeeks

Aluminum
I'm moving to Eastern Europe (Georgia) and wondering if my MIG and O/A regulators will work on the tanks there. I'm trying to take as much as I can, purchased a generator to run a 110/220v 60hz system to operate some of my equipment.

On many regulators the input nipple unscrews and a different type can be installed. For co2 tanks the nipple can be flat with a washer or a solid cone. What about the hose fittings? I would guess a lot of British pipe stuff in Europe.
I have heard of DIN, Japan, British pipe standards but never USSR. They may have had their own standards just never made it this way?
The Harbor Freight co2 regulator comes with two input nipples in the box. You chose which one to install. I suppose you could buy extra and machine the end to fit. If you feel safe that there is enough metal to machine some away.
Probably not a concern in Georgia but some countries and insurance folks will want to see stamped and approved high pressure hardware and flame arrestors to meet their codes. Will USA specs ones meet their codes? I have no idea.
Bill D

Last edited:
No idea about MIG or former Soviet States, but I'd reckon unlikely.

Over here with tig, US stuff needs the nut connecting to the tank changed....which can be easier said than done sometimes....the seat doesn't match either and the local stand pipe won't insert into the bottom of the US reg, so slight argon leaks. Never tried an oxy reg, however the torch leads have a different thread to our standard and need to change too.

Most countries have some standard of their own, even in Europe. From working in Russia I recall buying regulators locally. Georgia probably has the same standard. Old soviet style cutting torches are crap though. We had one blow up during use.

After WW2 nazi Hydrogen cylinders were taken as war booty and placed into service in the USA. Some of these are still in use today. I have no idea if the valve was changed to usa spec or not. I think these were for airship gas supply.
Bill D

For most pipe, I am pretty sure the russians use British Pipe threads- as does almost the entire world. Not sure if that means their welding equipment does, too, though, as they are much more likely to be buying chinese and european welding equipment than US stuff.

Back