What's new
What's new

Gear cutting: 10DP vs. M2.5

opscimc

Stainless
I'd like to repair a few gear teeth with bronze, which will require re-profiling them to remove the excess bronze. The gears are 10DP with a 20-deg. pressure angle and metric involute cutters are less expensive than Imperial. The repaired gears need to mesh, of course, but they operate at relatively low speed and don't carry large loads. My question is, how close would the tooth profile be with an M2.5 (equivalent to DP10.160) rather than a 10DP?

Here is my "common sense" comment, although not a direct answer to the question. Do what you will with it.

I would prefer using an M2.6, assuming this does exist, since it should leave the tooth a little "fat". That, you can file a bit to get closer to the truth. If you start with a tooth that is too "thin", you will be hard pressed to add material to make it fit better.

Just my $0.02

Good luck with it.

Jacques

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

M2.5 has an arc length of .3092" at pitch line, while 10 DP has an arc length of .3142" at pitch line (tooth and tooth space)

Shift the cutter side to side in each tooth space as is common in bevel gear milling - a minimum of .0025" (or maybe its half that?:D)

metric involute cutters are less expensive than Imperial

but they operate at relatively low speed and don't carry large loads

I'd like to repair a few gear teeth with bronze, which will require re-profiling them to remove the excess bronze. The gears are 10DP with a 20-deg. pressure angle and metric involute cutters are less expensive than Imperial. The repaired gears need to mesh, of course, but they operate at relatively low speed and don't carry large loads. My question is, how close would the tooth profile be with an M2.5 (equivalent to DP10.160) rather than a 10DP?

25.4/2.5 = 10.16 Diametral Pitch, will not mesh correctly with a 10 Diametral Pitch gear, side trimming will be a big hassle
to adjust a gear tooth thickness for more clearance ( more backlash between teeth) is to cut deeper or less shallow.
with the cutter, cut deeper = thinner gear teeth, cut shallower = thicker gear teeth.
side trimming is possible but must be the exact DP & PA or Base Diameter. can be any combination of teeth, dp & PA = the same base pitch.
the exact method to verify tooth thickness is by Measurement over wires, or by span measure over gear teeth.

My recommendation is stay with a 10 DP cutter and omit the hassles. how much a difference was the cost?
ash gear has a lot of used stuff for sale at a discount

Back