Search for 'hob indexer'

2. Likes AlexO liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    The late John Stevenson did exactly that using a universal (ie swivle table) horizontal, an encoder on the shaft and some 'gearing' electronics between the encoder and a 4th axis for the work blank
    His gear stuff was very hobby-shop cool but for day-in, day-out work that kind of setup is just not rigid enough. He'd have been better off to pick up an old blown-up gear hobber to convert, imo. There's a reason an old 188 Cleveland will blast a 4 DP cutter through 8620 at .125" feed and get good teeth : it's got the beef. There's a lot of metal removed cutting teeth, and it takes a bunch of cast iron to hold everything in place..

4. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He was very much a jobbing shop having to make oddball gears in very small quantities repairing things. But I do seem to remember that he and his first wife (Gert) under the nom-de-guerre 'Mary Poppins Bag' sold various gear sets for Myfords - especially tumbler reverse sets - on eBay.

I think it's horses for courses - his set up was extremely versatile and allowed him to make peculiarities such as a 21 tooth gear on a 20 tooth blank to adjust gear spacing or slightly adjust ratios.

He was using a pretty solid universal mill weighing probably ten times what the Mikron hobber Pete bought from me does- I don't think ridgidity was an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John put a thread in Madmodder covering his hobber including a YouTube link of it running

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11283.0.html

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... allowed him to make peculiarities such as a 21 tooth gear on a 20 tooth blank to adjust gear spacing or slightly adjust ratios.
    That's not a peculiarity, it's a commonality There's even a slang term for it, "drop-tooth gear" although what you described is the opposite. But the same. A nice thing about involute teeth is that kind of thing is simple.

8. Likes AlfaGTA, Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's an interesting feature but I think I'll just stick to standard gears until I get my hand in

A question - is it true that when cutting spur gears I can disengage the feed, bring the table back and re-engage for another pass without losing index? I've given myself a headache thinking about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pete,

Very nice. I've got a scan of a Mikron 79 model English language manual, and it may be that it is very similar to the Mikron 112 in terms of operation. At first glance the 79 looks just like a baby brother of the 112.

If your interested its 54MB, so I don't think I can email it to you but I can put it (and the others) on a USB stick for you.

For what it's worth I've also got a scan of the following which may help you:

Koepfer-Type-110 (14MB)
    Wyssbrod-125-IIa (39MB)

and Dowding & Doll v8 (2MB) and v10 (3MB).

At the risk of hijacking the thread if anyone has a manual for my Dowding and Doll v4 I would be most grateful, PM me.

Thanks,
    Steve

11. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    certain things become automatic - like kicking the feed out at the end of travel or even any time you feel like it. When cutting a helical without a diff, you cannot ever disengage the feed after you have once engaged it. That means at the end of a pass you must turn off the machine, put the motor in reverse, and back the thing up to the beginning to take a second cut.
    SeaMoss has given a really excellent overview of hobbing, except that reversing the motor and feeding back thru as above not only doubles the process time but runs a real risk of climb-cutting a wider tooth space due to the sheer number of change gears in the two trains and the absolute necessity to have some backlash.

Better to convert the clamp nuts on the vertical slide to handles (like a lathe tailstock) so you can lift the hob off the work and crank back to the load/unload position. If you mount an indicator with a two-inch travel on the vertical movement it will take all the worry out no matter how ancient the machine.

13. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine has a vertical spindle and a quick-retract lever with a built-in micrometer stop so backing the hob out would pose no problem.

Ok so cutting a 90 degree spur gear I can just release the travel clutch, back off the hob, wind back the slide and re-engage everything for another pass - regardless of the tooth count or gear pitch - but for helicals I must back the motor up? Is that right?

I'm just about done with fitting the machine up. I've stripped and cleaned it, fitted a new modern inverter-spec motor, a VFD (because I have no 3 phase. I've disconnected the old mechanical trip and fitted a limit switch as an enable switch for the VFD. All I have to do now is fit a speed pot, set the spindle speed on the VFD and pipe up the old belt-drive oil pump and I can go about cutting some gears.

Stvy I would love to get those scans off you. Also looking to buy or borrow a 22DP 20PA hob if you know of one so I can cut some gears for my Hardinge. Mine uses 10mm bore but I could make a hub adapter.

Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pete,

Ash gear in the usa do the correct hob for Hardinge 22/29 DP 20° PA gears.

http://www.ashgear.com/pdfs/hm1-20_hmt1-20.pdf

and with the 10mm bore you want. Not inexpensive though. Ash gear are the only quality supplier I have found so far that also do the smaller size hobs as standard products. I plan on ordering up a 22/29 DP 20° PA hob with a 1/2" shank for my D&D v4 one and a few others I need one day. You will already know this but your 5" limit is too small to make a 22/29 DP 20° PA 127 tooth gear. The 127 might be worthwhile sourcing elsewhere.

P.S. I have a cupboard full of Hardinge 22/29 DP 20° gears. So am quite happy to loan you some examples to get you started. By the way H&W Machinery near you have some gear verniers for sale. I picked up a DP and MOD vernier from them at the right price when I got the D&SD v4.

Steve

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    SeaMoss has given a really excellent overview of hobbing, except that reversing the motor and feeding back thru as above not only doubles the process time but runs a real risk of climb-cutting a wider tooth space due to the sheer number of change gears in the two trains and the absolute necessity to have some backlash.
    Wrench - sorry, wasn't clear : that's only when you are cutting a helical without a differential. In that case, you can't disengage the feed or you lose the timing. It's because you are not cutting an integer number of teeth per revolution, so the feed becomes part of the where-you-are-when equation.

Spur gears are timing in two dimensions. Non-differential helicals are timing in three.

In the case of spur gears or helicals with a diff, yes, you can and should just kick the feed out. And no, Peter, you won't lose time because the hob revolutions divide evenly into the part revolutions. In general you don't even need to back out. As long as you are indexing in the same direction all the lash in the gear train is taken up in the same way so it's not usually a problem. Maybe for something that work-hardens by even being touched I'd back away but most of the time, not. Looks scary at first but it's okay.

I don't think you will need to two-cut the fine pitch parts you'll be making, tho. Just the first one to get size, after that a single pass will do the job. And you won't be using gear tooth verniers much on those small teeth : you'll be doing mostly measure-over-wires, so watch out for nice gear wires. Even 0-1" flange mics can be cumbersome with little teeth. Fine pitch is kind of a different world from coarse pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stvy View Post
    At the risk of hijacking the thread if anyone has a manual for my Dowding and Doll v4 I would be most grateful, PM me.
    I was once told that the Dowding & Doll was modelled on the Pfauter RS-00. Take that with a grain of salt but maybe ...

17. Likes Stvy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see that Ash gear do various 'grades' of hob right up to aaa. What do we suppose would be an appropriate grade for cutting lathe change gears? I can't think that a grade A would be necessary for a gear that is neither turning fast nor carrying much load or for very long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way, you don't need a 22/29 hob- use a standard 22 DP hob and you will be just fine. Make your blank to the 22/29 OD and don't worry about the extra depth- the gears don't know the root is deep and don't care.
    A class C hob is just fine for change gears in this application.

20. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I hobbed my first gear today. My intention was to turn up a nice shiny brass blank and keep my first hobbed gear as a keyring memento but a local lad I know happened to mention that he stripped a drive gear on his RC car so I foolishly offered to make one. 48DP, 71 tooth in delrin.

48dpgear.jpg

I also found out why he was stripping gears the shop supplied him with a 48dp metal pinion to drive a plastic gear of 42dp.

22. Likes Renardiere, andrewmawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear that you've got it working and learnt the foibles of that machine Pete. That's the first gear it's cut in about 11 years though it was in full working order when I moved workshops then !

24. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly a quick look at his old site implies the files have gone
    Not gone, just archived:

Index of /stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some kind gent sent me scanned catalogue pages for mikron gear hobs. These small hobs only have the catalogue number on them but with this reference you can get all the data you normally see etched on the hob. I've uploaded it into the manuals and brochures section:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...8/#post3113599

27. Likes Dan from Oakland, andrewmawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find that I have a set of same-DP hobs which are marked up with 'range of teeth' marks such as you see on involute cutters. Can anyone explain their purpose and what makes them different to regular hobs. They are quite a fine pitch and it's difficult to spot any variation in the tooth form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are the ranges? I have some HTD shaper cutters that have the same range markings, I had to choose the range when I had them made.

There are mods made to low tooth number pinions to allow proper clearance for the mating gear, your hobs may be modified for this reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, I will check the tooth ranges tomorrow.

Hobbed my first metal gear today:

Dropbox - gearhobbing.mp4

gearcut1.jpg

31. Likes Mud liked this post