Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    So yes, for this project alone he probably could have formed the teeth with a custom cutter shaped just like the tooth spaces rather than generating them (but in a mill, not in his Fellows), but by making the extra effort, now he has a whole new capability that others can't easily duplicate...and that's what is so unique about what he's done.

Kudos to you Zahnrad Kopf.
    Thank you, Marcus. High praise indeed, coming from you. I appreciate it.

It is done. Testing has gone as well as could possibly be hoped for. Set up pieces are wonderful. I am going to set up a real part and get to it. For now, this is the end result of a lot of hard work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few people have poked me about this thread, so I thought to update it.

After more work than I could have ever imagined, we have been making more cutters than I would have ever imagined. I honestly thought that this would simply be a way to help a customer out of a jam. It might happen once or twice a year. I could not be more incorrect. It turns out that there is some demand for someone able to make non standard configurations, and fairly regularly.

True to form throughout my entire life, I also set down a path I completely underestimated, in complete ignorance, without regard for what I did not know. ( Often, because someone said I could not. ) I would never have gotten as far as we have without the assistance of some much larger brains than my own. Member PrecisionMetal was of great help in those early efforts. ( and someone really ought to be making notes about his involvement and family history within the industry before they are lost ) Member CarbideBob at ESS Carbide has been of great assistance with the carbide blanks, too.

As well, an Engineer that I have worked with for over a decade now* has been immensely helpful. It would not have happened as quickly without him. He saved years and countless lives...
    * - He and I worked on gears and gear trains at my last job as an employee and we have continued to work together, since. ( even if we are both not actually employed )

Seems like I've been designing at minimum a cutter a week, these days. Sometimes two. I am convinced that the shop has been getting work directly as a result of being able to do this, as well. Some customers have disclosed it, and others have alluded to it.

I continue to learn about this every single day, discovering little details that seem to make worlds of difference. I'll likely be doing so until I die as I cannot imagine knowing everything there is about them. Too many variables at play.

98% of the cutters I'm designing and making are solid carbide. Some times though, it is beneficial to make one from HSS.

Thank you for everyone's input and assistance along the way. So much to learn... So little time... Here is one of the latest cutters, making a Skip Tooth Spline. ( there is also a Skip Space Spline on the ID of this part )

American Machine & Gear Works on Instagram: “Looks like the center support we built for the job is doing what it’s supposed to do. Single tenths clock. . . . . ��������⚙️ American Machine…”

3. Likes Mud, David Utidjian, David_M, sheys, Cole2534 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

True to form throughout my entire life, I also set down a path I completely underestimated, in complete ignorance, without regard for what I did not know. ( Often, because someone said I could not. ) I would never have gotten as far as we have....snip
    Somewhere around the strong nuclear force, there is the drive created by telling an American it can't be done.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

5. Likes Mud liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi cole2534:
    You wrote "Somewhere around the strong nuclear force, there is the drive created by telling an American it can't be done."

Yeah, especially when the teller is mired in dogma and conventional wisdom and doesn't even see it.
    Fortunately this rebellious quality can be found in the best of humanity everywhere, whenever it's confronted with horseshit parading around in the guise of authority.

Moving on to Zahnrad Kopf's achievement; let me just say again: Kudos to you for walking down the path and opening up a whole new and marketable capability for your business.
    I am so pleased to hear it turned out to be such a worthwhile investment of time and effort.
    I am now raising a glass to persistent ingenuity and its rewards!

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

7. Likes neilho liked this post