What's new
What's new

Gears Grinding

Carmar4

Plastic
Does anyone have a video or something of someone grinding the gears on a manual mill or lathe till the gears teeth are gone, or until the motor blows.
Im guessing there has to be a video or like a sound file somewhere, but I cant find it. any help would be appreciated

My first "Real" lathe, many years ago, I had installed the 4 jaw on it and was trying to get the chuck wrench to tighten a bit more, in the process my hip hit the start lever, in reverse! Since the speed was set at the lowest gear I had time to let the wrench go, and watched it disappear over the back side followed by the wrench flying up, it had stayed in the chuck until it hit the cast iron chip pan and busted the square end right off.
That lathe had a switch lever that was about 6-8" long with the knob on top when in the off position (Takisawa TS800) where it sat in a detent, there was a detent gate for forward and reverse too.
It took a few minutes before I quit shaking, but ever thereafter I checked by turning the chuck to see if it was in neutral before changing chucks or tightening one, and also was very careful of that lever.
I suppose someone would object to showing high school kids videos of shop accidents, but that or near misses like mine is what gets and holds one's attention around machinery.

Best I can do…

[video]https://www.google.com/search?q=washing+machine+self+destructs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a72ce97f,vid:vROdVsU_K80,st:0[/video]

Most people have to much respect for their machines. Their machines are their living. Grind the gears.... Go out of business!

Seems like that was always yelled across the shop, usually when someone put the BP in high gear and didn't rotate the spindle to get the face teeth to mesh.

I hate it when I hear that sound when I am the one running it.

You may like watching videos on youtube of people making homemade two (or more) speed gokart transmissions. They are just hobby machinist doing their best so they aren't synchronized so they often really have to force it to get it into gear, and it's funny watching them learn to try and drive it.

A lot of trucks with twin plate clutches grind gears something awful getting the box into gear from stop......Roadrangers in particular.......I used to really hate the freeway with peak hour traffic stop ,go,stop,go ....either ride the clutch or grind ,grind,grind.

Back