What's new
What's new

Gem Vise/Mag Base, Purpose?

Cannonmn

Stainless
This Gem vise is bolted to an inverted PM chuck. No idea what previous owner used it for. Any ideas? I have a vague memory of posting this question somewhere long ago, but if it was answered I can’t recall what was said, and I can’t find the question on this forum.View attachment 292475

What the previous owner did? If I knew him I'd ask.

Speculation and wild guesses?

It's faster than bolting down to the table.

You can mount of vise somewhere on the upright column of you machine if you even needed to do that.

For overhead work you can have a vise on the underside of the roof I-beams.

If used on a drill press as in the photo it's more secure than just an unbolted vise on the table.

I can see it useful on my older Delta that has a large table with no t slots

PM mag chucks are not light. Could overwhelm a typical small/medium DP on stiffness.

The only Delta-class DP's I've seen that had a suitable table were "ganged" Walker-Turners. Most of those tables were Hell for stout and worth salvage as a bench or layout table in their own right.

PM mag chucks are not light. Could overwhelm a typical small/medium DP on stiffness.

The only Delta-class DP's I've seen that had a suitable table were "ganged" Walker-Turners. Most of those tables were Hell for stout and worth salvage as a bench or layout table in their own right.

These would be a good candidate too.
lgdrill.jpg

B8758267-0CA3-4797-B1E5-7C268574AC70.jpg

GMTA, I first set it on our quad Walker-Turner because it has a smooth table with no T-slots for clamping. The problem with that was the mag/Gem is near 8” tall and crowds the quills on the relatively short W/T quad. So I put it on the monster Powermatic where the photo was taken. That drill has plenty of vertical clearance, and I can crank the table down to the floor, almost, if needed.

These would be a good candidate too.
View attachment 292556

Yup.

Not a lot of anybody's gang drill tables as had Tee-slots.

"Powermatic" DP?

Not so fond memories of a white "racing" stripe on our brand-new one around 1959 or 1960 and that its varidrive adjustable speed was very similar to the bought used, then worn-out, Clausing it had replaced.

More accurate than it looked as if it could be. Just noisier, new than the Clausing was, old!

:D

Back