What's new
What's new

Geometric die heads and a MT4 tailstock

AllenHunt

Plastic
I've got three geometric die heads that I've picked up. In the videos I've watched most are having the die head pull the tail stock into the carriage to release the dies from the workpiece.

In the videos I've seen the tailstocks are not very big and I'd like to know if anyone is using a die head with a "larger" tailstock. Maybe a MT4 or bigger.

Is a large tailstock too big to be pulled by the threading of the workpiece. I have a Lodge & Shipley 14 x 30 Model X lathe with a MT4 tailstock. At least to me, the tailstock is pretty big. I don't want to damage one of the die heads or the threads. My three geometric (actually Rubometric) die heads are 9/16", 3/4". and 1" D type.

Thanks for any feedback.

I've got three geometric die heads that I've picked up. In the videos I've watched most are having the die head pull the tail stock into the carriage to release the dies from the workpiece.

In the videos I've seen the tailstocks are not very big and I'd like to know if anyone is using a die head with a "larger" tailstock. Maybe a MT4 or bigger.

Is a large tailstock too big to be pulled by the threading of the workpiece. I have a Lodge & Shipley 14 x 30 Model X lathe with a MT4 tailstock. At least to me, the tailstock is pretty big. I don't want to damage one of the die heads or the threads. My three geometric (actually Rubometric) die heads are 9/16", 3/4". and 1" D type.

Thanks for any feedback.

How will you trip them with the tailstock sliding along ?

Unless you are threading really soft material you should be fine . Those die heads are pretty tough if your nervous you can keep a hand by the trip lever.good luck

The die heads trip when the tailstock runs into the carriage.

There are 'pull-off' and 'push-off' setups for those heads. Sounds like yours is set for push-off, most of them
you can change to pull-off so the head could be fed using the tailstock handwheel and when you stop feeding
it will open.

depends on the thread, the material, and how your tailstock slides on your ways where you are threading. if you are doing a 4-40 in soft steel, bronze etc, and your tailstock is hanging up, well that just aint gonna work, prob not going to work at all on a L&S 14... 5/8-11 in 1144, well no problem.

also depends on how many and how painful it would be if you strip out the part. for a small thread, you might want to consider making up a telescoping adapter to go in the TS bore.

Be real easy to mount a straight shaft in the TS and put a tube with a slot sliding on it. Put a stop pin in the shaft thru the tube slot. Attach the die head to the other end of the tube. Make the tube and slot long enough for the job on hand.

Be real easy to mount a straight shaft in the TS and put a tube with a slot sliding on it. Put a stop pin in the shaft thru the tube slot. Attach the die head to the other end of the tube. Make the tube and slot long enough for the job on hand.

Could probably buy what you need from tractor supply, think about using the 6-spline shafting and female sockets for the PTO

Back