What's new
What's new

Geometric DSA 9/16 die head - how to change chasers?!

ricveras87

Plastic
Hello - Can someone please help me to figure out how to change the chasers? I can't figure it out. I have already read the manual but I can't figure it out.

Is this a new die head or used one that may have been damaged before you got it?

Process is very simple trip it #1, pull the release knob till it opens fully #2, then slide the chasers out. If something is damaged so it does not open fully I would try applying some force till the closer knob/arm rotates a little past the normal opening position. The individual chasers slide outward in no particular order. If it has really been crashed or rusted up getting the closer part of the body to rotate to the opening position may be difficult.

I will add that, once the release knob is pulled out and the front of the head has rotated to the chaser changing position, there are spring-loaded balls that keep the chasers from accidentally falling out of the slots. You have to push the chasers outwards hard enough to pass over the balls.

Larry

I will add that, once the release knob is pulled out and the front of the head has rotated to the chaser changing position, there are spring-loaded balls that keep the chasers from accidentally falling out of the slots. You have to push the chasers outwards hard enough to pass over the balls.

Larry

I guess it would be possible for the spring loaded balls to be rusted in position or the channel where the closing cams run could be packed with chips. Compressed air with a solvent could help free things up in that case.

I had a Geometric head that was frozen and needed Kroil to free it up. The cocking lever would not operate it and the front of the head would not pull out to trip it. It worked fine after the Kroil did its thing.

A working Geometric D series head can be tried out for function like this: Clamp the shank in a vise. Cock it (close the chasers to the cutting position). If there is a roughing and finishing lever, move it and verify that the chasers move in and out a small amount. Pull the front of the head away from the rear to release the chasers to the open condition. The chasers will slide in their slots, but will have only a few thousandths of an inch radial play between the chaser cam slot and the cam. Now pull out the knurled chaser release knob, allowing the chasers to open up more. At this point, the chasers should freely move back and forth axially in their slots quite a bit (depends on the head size) because the projecting spring-loaded ball is much smaller than the cam slot width. Pushing the chaser outward will depress the ball and allow the chaser to be fully removed from the head.

The slots in the head and the chasers are numbered 1 to 4 (more on some models) to show which chaser goes in which slot.

Larry

Back