What's new
What's new

Geometric thread heads - can a single pitch chasers set be used in different diameter

makinthings

Plastic
Title says it is all. If I get a geometrically threading head and metric 0.75mm pitch chasers, can I use it to make different diameter threaded rods with the that thread count?

Thanks!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of head. I have cut .275-40 threads with 1/4-40 chasers in a Geometric 5/16D die head. The various size D type heads all have a small amount of pitch diameter adjustment. You will not be able to cut 10-40 or 5/16-40 threads with a 1/4-40 chaser set.

The Landis tangential type die heads are made to cut any diameter thread in their capacity with their straight chasers of one pitch. You do have to have the right chaser holders. Each set of holders have a certain pitch angle range. If the pitch is held constant, the pitch angle changes with diameter.

Larry

Last edited:
Yes Coventry dieheads also cut considerably oversize/undersize within the adjustment.....As to the Landis rotaries.....the ones Ive used ,have the same holders for all similar threads (RH or LH or pipe)and any diameter can be cut with the pitch of the chaser.(within reason)........I realize the angles will be variable,but the Landis diehead seems to cope no problem.........All my Landis chasesr have straight /parallel grooves ........and all made by the QGR-T&G shop.

I have several brands and styles. Most can, but within limits. It has to be close to the intended diameter.

Back