What's new
What's new

OT - Picked up older Curtis compressor

Jeremy

Hot Rolled
I picked up an old Curtis air compressor for a song and am trying to assess whether it's worth rebuilding from a financial standpoint. I'm all for old iron that'll last me forever (being as how I'm non-commercial). Data plate has the following:

The Curtis Compressor
Size 4 3/16 X 2 1/8 X 3 1/2
SN 9569-18178

It came with a newer Dayton 5HP motor, 220VAC, 23A so I take that to be an honest 5hp.

Google hasn't turned up much except for newer Curtis equipment. I'm interesting in any info you guys can give. I'm curious what it's rated CFM is.

An email or phone call should yield some info:
http://www.curtistoledo.com/Home or 800-925-5431.

A 5HP pump should produce around 19 CFM. Curtis can surely give you more specifics on output & pressure capacity. Your description indicates a two-stage pump. The Low Pressure bore is 4 3/16, the High Pressure bore is 2 1/8, and the stroke is 3 1/2.

-------------------
Barry Milton

I like to see a 1ph 5hp motor draw 25 amps on 220v, and your pretty close to that. My 5hp Le-Roi draws 26 amps on 220V. (motor plate rateings)

Rob

Curtis 95

I picked up an old Curtis air compressor for a song and am trying to assess whether it's worth rebuilding from a financial standpoint. I'm all for old iron that'll last me forever (being as how I'm non-commercial). Data plate has the following:

The Curtis Compressor
Size 4 3/16 X 2 1/8 X 3 1/2
SN 9569-18178

It came with a newer Dayton 5HP motor, 220VAC, 23A so I take that to be an honest 5hp.

Google hasn't turned up much except for newer Curtis equipment. I'm interesting in any info you guys can give. I'm curious what it's rated CFM is.

I know exactly what this is. Curtis model 95 lot 69 was manufactured for the US government during WWII. Many of these went to Russia, and after the war, many hundreds more were sold off as surplus, and converted from gasoline engines to electric motors.

A 5 HP motor would probably give about 15 CFM at 700 RPM. It's built like a tank, and a few parts are still used on current models, but it is too old to put much money into now.

Good luck.

Back