What's new
What's new

Gerstner clone yet again.

bhigdog

Stainless
You guys must be sick of these things. I know I am. After I finished the last cherry box I found some scrap walnut that a pallet making operation had given me many years ago. While not very figured I thought I'd save it from the wood stove. I promise this will be the last. I still have the cherry one and I've run out of friends/family to give them to.
So, here's the scrap walnut tool box...............20210115_133510.jpg20210115_133543.jpg20210115_133642.jpg20210115_133749.jpg

Nah. Another beautiful job. I never get sick of looking at good work, whether in wood, metal, stone...

How many have you made for friends? Sounds like a fair few.

Lets see. One each to my son, daughter, grand son, grand daughter, wife, a friend, one 1/4 sawn red Oak I use in the shop, one 1/4 sawn white oak I have in my office just to look at and now the cherry and walnut that I made just to see how they would look when done. I need help......Bob

Lets see. One each to my son, daughter, grand son, grand daughter, wife, a friend, one 1/4 sawn red Oak I use in the shop, one 1/4 sawn white oak I have in my office just to look at and now the cherry and walnut that I made just to see how they would look when done. I need help......Bob

Nah, you're alright. I could think of plenty of worse habits...:D

It's kind of awkward. I don't want to appear to be feeding on you guys.
I ran out of family/friends who I thought would appreciate them and I really have no room to keep them. Making them was as much for the pleasure of making them as anything,much like my wife spends hours and hours knitting these unbelievably intricate sweaters only to give them away.
So, I would at this point sell both the cherry one pictured in the last post and the latest walnut one.
I have no idea what is a fair price so if anyone is serious PM an offer. I will not argue or dicker. I will either accept or decline graciously. If anyone is close to Tamaqua, PA it would be nice both for an inspection and I have no idea how to ship one..............Bob

I'd be real happy to oblige, as far as that 'help' goes!

I can provide a pretty decent home for one or more of those spare toolboxes! :D

Keerist man, if I had your talent for working wood, my wood stove would NEVER see fire!

Keep it up, keep posting pictures! Craftsmanship of that level NEVER gets old!

Old machinist tend to get into woodworking for some reason, did that myself in recent years.
Others I know like myself, make useful items, like tool boxes, cases for nice items, but it takes alot of time, 100hrs for a toolbox, sounds about right!
All one has to do is work on that television addiction, or get off the couch, and turn off the computer.
If one does not rotate, they stagnate.

Old machinist tend to get into woodworking for some reason, did that myself in recent years.
Others I know like myself, make useful items, like tool boxes, cases for nice items, but it takes alot of time, 100hrs for a toolbox, sounds about right!
All one has to do is work on that television addiction, or get off the couch, and turn off the computer.
If one does not rotate, they stagnate.

I was just the opposite, started woodworking as a teenager and got into metal working in the 60s to build/make fixtures for a router table to do some unusual things. Found it so much more fun that it took over as my favorite pastime. Ended up doing 20 years volunteering at the high school metal shop after retiring, teaching lathe and mill mainly but all the other stuff to hundreds of kids.
...lewie...

I'm long retired and enjoy both metal and wood. Metal for it's exactness and wood for it's natural beauty. A piece of metal is selected for it's properties. A piece of wood is selected for it's personalty.
I would say working with wood requires paying as much attention to what your piece is trying to say as much as to what it will do..........Bob

You guys must be sick of these things. I know I am. After I finished the last cherry box I found some scrap walnut that a pallet making operation had given me many years ago. While not very figured I thought I'd save it from the wood stove. I promise this will be the last. I still have the cherry one and I've run out of friends/family to give them to.
So, here's the scrap walnut tool box...............View attachment 310695View attachment 310696View attachment 310697View attachment 310698

Wow, that would look nice in our master BR.
Photobucket

Back