What's new
What's new

Getting certificate of origin for manufactured trailers?

fastolds

Hot Rolled
I live in IL and want to manufacture small cargo trailers. Without success, I have been searching and calling to find out how I get setup to get certificate or origins for them. Anyone know how and where?

Your state may be different. Here, if you have a business license and are the builder, you generate your own Certificate of Origin or Manufacturers Certificate. A homeowner can build his/her own and it is titled as a homebuilt and can be traded or sold w/title.

This does not mean that the trailer will meet the over-the-road requirements of your state. Check federal DOT requirements for trailer manufacturers. You might also need liability protection in the event of misadventure with your product.

Hey Wayne, your avitar brought back a memory. I did that with a bobby pin when I was about his age. Melted the bobby pin, blew a fuse and burned my fingers.

Try Croft Trailer Supply, they have been supplying components to trailer builders "forever", If anybody would know, they would. You may also want to use them as your primary supplier once you start building.

www.crofttrailer.com

just a satisfied customer.

Back