What's new
What's new

Getting rid of shop bugs ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1. Spiders you suck up with the shop vac. Anyone ever been so bored they sucked up a few dozen spiders and then turned the vacuum off and waited to see if any of the spiders find their way back out the hose ? Just wondering if my practice of stuffing the hose opening with a shop rag afterwards was silly or not !

2. Silverfish ! Never had them before this place...3 or 4 seem to get into every cardboard box in the place. Unlike roaches I don't notice any little "prizes" left behind or other damage, so just wondering if I should 'live and let live' or spray the boxes or not...and if so, with what ?

A gallon of lacquer thinner spilled on the floor of a shop to be left closed, unattended, and unventillated will work miracles on the latent bug problem.

Never saw a spider crawl out the vac hose, but never been bored enough to spend much time looking
Not since I started hanging out with purple-haired girls. . . .They keep you hopping.

Just vacuum the webs, cause they catch dust and chips, and leave the spiders be -- they eat the silverfish

That's the philosophy I follow ion the shop and the house too. May explain why the purple-haired girls don't hang around long.

The silverfish are harmless. http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/silverfi.html

Silverfish move fast though. Back in the 70s I hiked the parts of the Appalachian Trail with some buddies, hit a town every few weeks to buy supplies, spend a night in a motel and take a hot shower. One such place was a ratty old boarding house. The mattresses felt like they were stuffed with firewood, the pillows with corncobs. The food was frightening and the bathrooms worse. Silverfish zipped across the filthy wallpaper in our room, and we had a contest to see if we could throw our knives at the wall and pin one.

No one did. The wall didn't look any the worse either.

Forrest's remark took me back to my youngster days when and old gent took me under his wing to teach me body and fender repair and welding before I was old enough to drive. We just finished putting new floors, rear side posts and some side panels on a Divco milk truck for a local dairy and I just finished washing the whole truck down with GASOLINE & LACQUER THINNER and decided to make myself a grilled cheese sandwich using the special grill the old man had made for me which was 2-6" square plates welded on a pair of vice grips with a long rod for an extended handle to use in the wood or coal burning furnace.Just as I opened the furnace door I can still see that fireball flying out and hitting that truck and leaning it a good 10 degrees and moving it at least 4" across the shop with dirt flying out all over the place when it landed. The garage doors were 2-6' x 12' swingout type barndoors using a small steel rod between them to hold them closed, fortunately the rod was not in the loop too far and they blew wide open or I think it would have lifted the roof.My ears rang for a few days and I never got back to my grilled cheese that day.But it didn't kill the bugs!

Mits, the spiders would be fine if they didn't build such elaborate webs over everything. Most of my spider problems are "up high" and the silverfish are "down low" so I doubt these particular spiders do a darn thing to reduce the silverfish population.

I do let the lizards roam freely in here ;)

Cynoff from doyourownpestcontrol.com works very well on spiders and roaches. It is not good for fleas but they have a product that works for them. You can spray a black widow web with Cynoff and come back the next day and find the dead spider. It mixes with water and dries to a film. It keeps on working for a long time.

I like snakes and spiders better than silverfish...
I seem to have a different breed of critters from year to year- I don't do much more than just terminate the ones that offend me at the time.

Just curious, how long do you watch the hose?

HELLO TO ALL,
there is an item called 4 HOUR FOGGER.
this product is made by ENFORCER,
CARTERSVILLE, GEORGIA. PH.770-386-0801
they should be able to tell you who
the dealer is in your area. should be
about $8.00 for a 3 pack.
if you can close the shop up at night,
and use these, this will take care of
your problem. depending on the square
feet in your shop area, you will need
more than one to do the job. i do this
to my shop about once a year, and it
takes care of all the bugs, and other
critters.
good luck with your projects.
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

I found a way to rid the place of unwanted critters.

Slice four habanero peppers an put them in the microwave on high for 20 to 30 minutes.

You and your pets do not want to be in the building for the next hour or two.

I discovered this after sauteeing some habaneros, it ran me out of the kitchen and when I got back there were some 'critters' legs up, so I thought 'Hmmm'.

Rivett, yeah I wondered about that. Back in the days before the internet I used to buy old catalogs from a used bookseller in Virgina named "Bookworm and Silverfish"

All my important catalogs and literature are at my house however...no silverfish here.

Mr B,

Great shot of the "writer spider"! I have them all over, too, with trapped dragon flies, hornets, and bees. *Never* saw a lizard trapped, though! wow.

A shed of mine that doesn't get much use seems to grow black widows. Once a year in the spring, I set off a couple of "bombs" out there.

Will not discuss snakes ;)

Mark

When I had a workshop in Western Australia I used to get plagued by Red Back spiders. A quick "tune-up" with the propane torch soon sorted them out.

WL Brown has a real good point....

I have used a "Raid" product that is a little can and cup... you put a certain amount of water in teh cup and stand the can in it, then take off outta there.... Each one does a certain volume, so a big building will surely take a few.

Anyway, one or two in the basement leads to a bunch of big waterbugs showing up dead in a few days. Works very well.

You need to ventilate very well afterwards, but according to the package, there can be pilot lights etc on, no problem.

Some of the "fogger" and "bomb" type deals release flammables and drop out poisonous "dew" on surfaces. You have to shut off all flames and wash down afterwards. Those are a pain.

The good thing is that the gas gets into cracks and crevices and "gits" all the bugs that are in them. It helps to leave as many doors etc open as possible. Also it helps to leave it closed up longer than teh 4 hours, that lets it penetrate further.

Bugs will be staggering out and croaking for 2 or 3 days, so don't freak out and think it didn't work.

There used to be a similar stuff that was in little "sterno" type cans. You actually lit it, so I KNEW that was OK for pilot lights etc. It was so powerful that just rushing in with breath held to hit the fan switch and back out right away would give you a headache. Must be why it isn't sold any more.

Back