What's new
What's new

Getting Rust Off of Ribbon Cable

CatMan

Hot Rolled
20160117_135832.jpg

Got a washer here that has some rust on the ribbon cable. The fault is the ribbon cable is attached to a touch pad, but when I push one button, another lights up. The common failure on this is the rust is "linking" the two wires together, and therefore when I press one button, the signal going back is actually jumping to another button's wire.

Anyway to get rid of some of the rust without compromising the ribbon? I rubbed on it a little bit with a toothpick, but that didn't seem to do much. What would the next step be? Chemical possibilities? Abrade it off with some high grit sandpaper?

Normally those cables are sealed on both sides, so that would indicate there's moisture between the layers. Personally I would replace it. The cheap way would be to remove it and bake it in an oven at around 200F for a few hours.

You asked how to fix this without compromising the cable. The cable is already compromised and I assume for some reason you don't want to replace it or can't. I think there is only one way to fix this since moisture has gotten inside the cable. I would cut between the traces in the cable and add a new back and front to the cable such as laminating film.

I have performed electronic repairs for all my career. That cable is toast. The rust or corrosion is on the inside, between the outer, insulation layers. Nothing you do with it will make a reliable repair: it definitely needs to be replaced.

Another thought is that the most likely way the water/moisture got in it is from the end that is in the machine's connector. That connector is also probably corroded and needs to be replaced.

I see two ways to repair this:

1. Obtain the OEM parts and replace both the cable and the connector.

2. Remove the cable and connector and replace the connector with one that is easier to obtain and to make up a cable for. Do whatever mechanical work is necessary to replace the connector and make up a new cable to match that connector. You are probably going to install a new connector at the other end also.

One variation is that you could skip replacing the connectors and just solder a new, stranded wire (ribbon) cable directly to the circuit boards. This does not allow you to easily disassemble it, but may be OK if the installation is permanent. Since both ends of that cable are very likely inside the washer, this should work OK.

I just had a brain wave for this one. :stirthepot:

All you have to do is slit the ribbon. Use an Exacto knife to slit the ribbon between the traces. This will prevent current crossover. Vinegar on a cotton ball will clean up any edges.

I just had a brain wave for this one. :stirthepot:

All you have to do is slit the ribbon. Use an Exacto knife to slit the ribbon between the traces. This will prevent current crossover. Vinegar on a cotton ball will clean up any edges.

I thought about this. I actually thought about just cutting one of the cables. I use one of the cycle buttons all the time, but never use the cycle button it's "jumping" to. So like your theory, I thought if I just made a clear separation, then it would have no where to jump to, and therefore stay on the main cycle.

I want to have a replacement part lined up before I do this though. One bad move with the scalpel and it's toast (as if it's not toast already).

Maytag????

WINNER!

It's actually a very sophisticated piece of industrial cleaning equipment that I use on a steady basis for treating various remnants left on parts that go in the machine from other processes. These remnants are removed by applying a temperature elevated mildly caustic solution in a random pattern across all the parts. The parts are then clean and decontaminated and ready for reuse.

I typically run this machine at a normal level for any amount of remnants left on the parts, but the machine keeps jumping to the cycle for a light level of remnants.

Where the ribbon cable has the 90 degree bend is the place I would look for a crack in the cable shroud. The short looks to be at upper right.
Then just use a q-tip with some solution like "must-for-rust" and swab it on the crack. It will penetrate
and you should massage the cable. The solution does not have to be rinsed off. Then seal crack(s) with hot melt glue.

I had the same problem that started this thread, corrosion on a dishwasher ribbon wire, See Ribbon_Wire.jpg.

How do I prevent this? I attached more pictures of places where I could do something, seal with silicon, clean or replace. What do you recommend?Dishwasher (4).jpgDishwasher (2).jpgDishwasher (1).jpgDishwasher (2).jpg

Same problem here, rust on cable and dishwasher is not working proberly. Just tried your solution, slit the ribbon between each trace. I used a plastic piece to separate each cable (back and forth) and so far it's working good. Thanks and hope the feedback can help someone else!

Back