What's new
What's new

Gift--apron?

Lörrach

Plastic
Hi y'all,

So I'm newly engaged to a machinist. His birthday approaches, and I want to get him something. My only idea so far is that he wears the aprons his shop provides but has expressed annoyance with the fact that his shoulders still get covered in oil and bits of metal. So I was trying to find an apron that had some kind of shoulder flaps, or else a sort of cape that could go over a regular apron. Couldn't find anything online--do such things exist? Otherwise, other gift ideas are welcome. He currently works on a large, enclosed horizontal mill, if that helps.

No idea if he frequents this forum. I hope not! Thanks for any and all replies.

other gift ideas are welcome

There are shop coats - for the folks that normally wear suits (or other business attire) that also have to be out in the shop from time to time. Such might very well be frowned on by management for folks that spend all their time in the shop

As stated above, shop/lab coats are the only thing I know of that would cover shoulders. Long sleeves are prohibited in most machine shops so you'd want to get a short-sleeve version. Also, they're typically white -- for a day or two!

I don't know the working environment (literally) but using something in place of an apron might be more comfortable than adding something to it, like a cape.

It wouldn't be much of a challenge to someone who sews clothing I wouldn't think. Add two flaps to a regular apron pattern to create a neckline and have the apron string grommets just past the shoulders. Denim fabric or whatever suits (no put intended) and one or more of the traditional pockets. If you can borrow a sewing machine you could do it yourself or just add the extras to a standard apron.

One tip from my sainted shop teacher. If you carry a scriber, don't keep it point up in the upper swinging pocket. There's every chance to bend over a machine, have the pocket hit the table and stab yourself in the , uh, tender spot of the chest.

Well Lörrach, I think we all should give you a big round of applause. I'd think that once he learns that you signed up on the PM to get him a good gift that he'd feel like a pretty darn lucky guy!

The fellows responded with some good ones. We had a toolmaker at our shop that always wore nice polo shirts to work and a blue lab coat in the shop. Good luck!

If you have access to sewing machine, apron is not hard to make. I made an extra long one for my home shop. Arts and crafts stores often have leftover denim or brown duck really cheap.

I have a nice leather apron that I wear but doesn't stop stuff going down the front. If he only needs temporary protection, tell him to keep a shirt handy and put it on backwards. Keeps swarf from going down your front and off your arms. If they ban long sleeves then just use a short sleeve shirt.

Back