What's new
What's new

Gleason 3" help needed

Peter Colman

Stainless
Hi All

I have a 3" Gleason straight bevel gear machine, my problem is with 'extended' tooling, the concept is mentioned in the book but I can not find out anything about the actual tools and what capacity they will stretch to so can someone help me

1 what is the absolute maximum diameter of gear that I can cut with these tools
2 can someone tell me where I can get a drawing or sketch of the tools themselves

I have mailed Gleason who have not replied and all the tool suppliers that I know of can't help without a drawing.

Perhaps someone on this site can help me.

Thanks
Peter

I have a copy of a copy of the book so the photos are trerrible, if you can get some good copies of the photos I would love to buy them from you. On the other hand if the book s not forthcoming, I will copy mine for you.

Meanwhile I will try ash gear with my initial problem.
Thanks
Peter

The response from Ash Gear was very fast but still they can give no guidance to the max size of gear the machine will handle, they do have some extended tools but these seem to me to be no different to the standard ones, except that they are longer (so alowing more re grinds) I still have had no reply from Gleason. Surely someone on this forum cuts gears on one of these machines and can help me.
Peter

I Can not credit it that there are no other Gleason users on the forum, if they are all posting to another site, please tell me where it is! I have hunted the web and can find little to go on. I have looked on 'Meshing with Gears' and not had much help there.
Peter

Gleason #3 Training

Peter,
Try the American Precison Museum in Windsor, Vermont USA.
They have, and use a Gleason hobber.
Tom

Does anyone know anyone who is experienced in the setup of a #3 gleason.
I have a recently refurbished one and trying to find an experienced individual is extremely difficult.

Did you try the museum I stated in the 9.5 year old reply above?
They are still around...
Yeah, and that still has nothing to do with bevel gears. A hobber is not even related. And Gleason never made hobbers, so no idea what you are talking about.

Amarillo Gear still runs a lot of the mechanical machines, but I would expect to pay for that assistance. Otherwise, get the manual and figure out how it works by yourself. It's not that difficult. The 3 is a little weird (it uses unusual bowl-shaped quadrant things with teeth instead of index gears) but a manual for any of the generators will teach you the basics. 12 and 24 are the most straightforward.

There is / was a Gleason at the museum, saw with my own eyes 12 years ago.
Chances are they have a volunteer machinist that may know a thing or two about these machines. If not, they may know of others that do.
I claim no knowledge of these gear machines or processes, never stated that. Yes ,misspoken that it is / was a hobber. However, a sliver of a suggestion might yield a networking opportunity. Most likely an old man that is not computer savvy.
By the way, Gleason does make gear hobbing machines, nowadays, CNC flavored though.
Good day, gents.

By the way, Gleason does make gear hobbing machines, nowadays, CNC flavored though.
Not really. When cars went front-drive they went out and bought Pfauter. They also bought Hurth and a bunch of others, had Okamoto stick Gleason tags on some of their gear grinders, and went into parallel axis gearing. Since they are not a publicly-traded company, they can plan for the future. But the hobbers are Pfauters. Still second-best to Liebherr, and Gleason didn't bother to buy either G&E or Fellows when they were available. Boo, Gleason.

They also made an offer on a hobber company in Chongqing, but it fell through when that place refused to fire half their employees and screw the rest out of their retirement. It's a pretty fonky place but good on 'em, at least they stood up for their people.

Fact is, you're not even going to find many people at Gleason who have a lot of experience with the mechanical machines now. That was quite a while ago.

Back