Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently your feelings are as sensitive as your hands

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by martin_05 View Post
    Pretty amazing I was able to deliver some useful info without calling anyone a "fluffer". Imagine that.
    martin, I mean no disrespect to you at all. You got here long before me. Maybe you don't come here often but I can't think of one single topic that will start a shit show faster than gloves, maybe unions or politics would be it. I realize you asked a legit question and I assume you remained civil throughout it all but what was you expecting starting a thread called gloves here around these fluffheads?

There isn't many here now but two years ago this post would have had 15 pages and 500 replies then locked because of all the fluffer calling. This is exactly par for the course.

And just so this reply has something to do with the topic of gloves. Only time I use gloves is for material handling. Everyone has to use their own common sense. If something looks sketchy don't do it.

Brent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you guys recommend for gloves to protect from this kind of thing?
    I once had a maple wood sliver in my finger tip for a week until I final squeezed it out. It was too deep to hack out. Was 5/16 long.

Little metal pieces I learn to live with, and every so often I have to use a magnifier and precision Swiss tweezers.
    I still would not wear gloves even though I've got an assortment for painting.

The best damn glove I have experience with is the LIFT L-FLEX 15 in XL size. The "15" signifies the thickness of 15MIL.
    There is a silicone or similar lubricant on the inside which is very easy to slide on and off. Powder free.
    A size smaller than XL doesn't make it for me. But eventually they are not as easy to slip on/off and I use some Johnson & Johnson
    baby powder to coat the gloves. Every time I do this I get a unwanted wiff of the powder. Like when I transfer lacquer thinner from
    the can to a bottle. New issue:

With the removal of J & J baby powder from stores, where can a glove guy get some powder to use in a nice pair of Chinese made gloves?
    W

Have you seen those finger tip rubbers that slide on to individual fingers. Those are mostly used in fine electronics work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post

With the removal of J & J baby powder from stores, where can a glove guy get some powder to use in a nice pair of Chinese made gloves?

I don't think it's all gone. Just the talc based stuff. They still make and sell a corn starch based baby powder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a surprise when I first started working in the lab ( too buggered up for the steel plant anymore) was told that j&j baby blue talc, something I’d dumped on my kids thousands of times was blue for a reason, the seam contained blue asbestos in their mine, I was a little shocked as this must be one of the best covered up disasters in modern times, what were they thinking, I have exposed to asbestos on my medical notes but it seems millions were exposed and it’s hidden from them
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I don't think it's all gone. Just the talc based stuff. They still make and sell a corn starch based baby powder.
    I would hate to shorten the life of my nice Chi-Comm gloves. From the rubber plantations in Africa to the sweat shops in Chi-Comm land.
    And then finally to the land of use once and throw away....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Apparently your feelings are as sensitive as your hands
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with feelings. It's about manners and consideration towards others. At a time when some think nothing of behaving like animals in public it isn't too much to ask that professionals behave, well, like professionals.

There is no justification whatsoever for being an ass. If in your world calling someone a "fluffer" for asking an honest question is acceptable, well, we did not grow up with the same values.

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

It has nothing whatsoever to do with feelings. It's about manners and consideration towards others. At a time when some think nothing of behaving like animals in public it isn't too much to ask that professionals behave, well, like professionals.

There is no justification whatsoever for being an ass. If in your world calling someone a "fluffer" for asking an honest question is acceptable, well, we did not grow up with the same values.
    You started off with a vague title, with a vague and rambling post, and then you went downhill from there.

Look into the mirror

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    what was you expecting starting a thread called gloves here around these fluffheads?
    A conversation with professionals based on respect and consideration for each other?

While I appreciate shop talk and bravado, there is no excuse for lack of respect. It's one thing if it's your buddy. It's quite another when it's a bunch of random people on a public forum.

As I said in one of my posts: Imagine if the question was asked by a young 18 year old (or younger) just getting into the trades. Is there ever justification to not treat everyone with respect?

I mentored a high school robotics team for a number of years. Kids who joined the team came from a range of backgrounds and experience. I would say most of them them didn't even know how to drill a hole. What I mean by that, they had never done it at all. We brought up all kids to a nice standard by teaching them the basics over short summer courses. While reading some of the nonsense I imagined a scenario where one of the kids from the robotics club would hypothetically join PM and ask about wearing gloves...only to be called a "fluffer" and be told to "man-up". C'mon folks, are you professionals or animals?

12. Likes AckshunW, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You started off with a vague title, with a vague and rambling post, and then you went downhill from there.
    And that's an excuse for people being vile?

Again, I ask: Had the poster been a 16 year old kid. Would you still justify the foul responses? I sure hope not. I can't imagine anyone thinking that would be OK.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I keep a stack of neodymium magnets in a little plastic bottle at my workbench for pulling out metal spinters. Works great on eyes and on hands if the metal hasn't really bedded in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I do the same, have been able to get out those nasty no-seeums. If ferrous.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    I wore boat shoes with no socks welding ONCE, bad mistake.
    I've done that. Good times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked with a guy that got a bootful of molten steel aka liquid sunshine, he was running round squawking and had to be rugby tackled to pin him down, got his boot off ( tall foundry boot, not buckled up) think his toes came off with the boot, smelled like roast pork, put you off pork forever, the guy was a walking accident, always something I tend to be careful about boots after
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again, I ask: Had the poster been a 16 year old kid. Would you still justify the foul responses? I sure hope not. I can't imagine anyone thinking that would be OK.
    I would rather my kid be mentored by a foul mouthed asshole with a finger-to-the-bone work ethic than someone that's worried about calluses. Where I come from in farm country you make a living with your hands and we don't have much use for anyone that doesn't.

18. Likes digger doug, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    I would rather my kid be mentored by a foul mouthed asshole with a finger-to-the-bone work ethic than someone that's worried about calluses. Where I come from in farm country you make a living with your hands and we don't have much use for anyone that doesn't.
    Well, I have news for you. The world has evolved.

There are actually people like me who can mentor others from a basis of respect and consideration. And, yes, we can use both our brains and hands to get things done without being foul and condescending. And, yes, we care about being healthy and not tearing-up our bodies unnecessarily.

You, my friend, come from and exist in a different world. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't go out there believing that one has to be like that to be a "real man" or add value to a community.

A people with lack of respect and consideration for others can't create a society anyone would want to live in.

Notice the difference here:

You are arguing that being a foul mouth asshole is a good thing. I'll extend that to also mean lack of respect and consideration for others (which pretty much is what an "asshole" is, so, by definition). You are trying to make a case that foul mouth individuals with lack of respect and consideration for others is a good thing, for mentoring, work environment, relating to others, society, etc.

I am saying this is wrong. In fact, I am saying that exactly the opposite type of person is what you need to create a society anyone would want to be a part of. I don't think my point needs proving, as anyone with any sense knows I am right. Because given the choice to live in a place where everyone aligns with your criteria and a place where they align with mine, nobody would choose to live in your world. Even beyond that, and speaking of mentoring, I could not imagine a school where kids were treated to teachers who behaved as you suggest. Nobody would want their kids at such schools.

Online communities allow people to behave and speak in ways few would choose or tolerate in real life. I think it is a very interesting window into their personality when people pretend to be professionals and think nothing of being rude, lude and condescending towards others online. It says a lot about them. And it ain't pretty at all.

A side note: I tell my kids all the time "Never trust anyone who can't swear like a sailor". That does not mean one has to be disrespectful or condescending. As Mark Twain famously said: "Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

20. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    martin, I mean no disrespect to you at all. You got here long before me. Maybe you don't come here often but I can't think of one single topic that will start a shit show faster than gloves, maybe unions or politics would be it.

Brent
    I recal two topics that dragged on for pages with arguing. One was about people who call an engine hoist a "cherry picker" and the other was on the utility of divining rods. Both threads were years before you joined.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would expect a 16 year old kid to listen to the experts.

23. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a program break. A commercial for work gloves.

A UPS drive delivered a box here and on the subject of gloves, he said his girlfriend insisted that he wear gloves at work.

25. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    [...]and the other was on the utility of divining rods.

-I remember that one. That was a fun thread. We even got James Randi to post, offering the believers his "million dollar challenge" if they could prove it.

Good times, good times.

Doc.

27. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I would expect a 16 year old kid to listen to the experts.
    If you genuinely think a 16 year old would not leave in horror if he or she was called a "fluffer" for asking a simple question I can't imagine where you come from and what your moral/ethical compass might look like, if any.

If you are genuinely trying to justify disrespect and condescension, so be it. Those are not my values. We can stop here because your world view and mine would, in that case, be diametrically opposite on this point and likely others.

I find it perplexing that anyone would actually try to make a case for vile behavior, lack of respect, lack of consideration and condescension. Didn't we have enough of that and more last year? The world doesn't improve if we don't respect each other. And yes, that means respecting complete strangers, even if online.