What's new
What's new

Gloves for changing parts

Cole2534

Diamond
I've been using nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean-ish while bouncing between the mill and office, but they're getting annoying. To be clear this is for the VMC, not manual machines.

Does someone make a reusable, yet still disposable, somewhat liquid resistant glove?

I use nitrile gloves extensively, for greasy work I use many pair per job. I have some medical procedure gloves that are thicker and don't tear or leak "as much" I use these on work that doesn't require tossing oily/greasy gloves often The heavy duty gloves used in plating shops would be great BUT, they are not as tactile or quick to remove.

Steve

Ansell makes some decent gloves that I have used, find their product catalog.

I just buy XX large gloves though, then I can get them off my hand and back on.

As of late, the price has went nuts. I bought a case of nitrile gloves heading in to the pandemic for $12 a box, and I thought THAT was highway robbery. Now we are paying $23/box from a medical distributor.

I've been using nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean-ish while bouncing between the mill and office, but they're getting annoying. To be clear this is for the VMC, not manual machines.

Does someone make a reusable, yet still disposable, somewhat liquid resistant glove?

so the thing about gloves is a heavier glove is dangerous around machines, a nitrile will tear off, so not dangerous.

I use nitriles, but I also at times put on a cream that prevents the dirt from embedding which allows me to wash it off much more easily. it's good for oil, but not great for coolant which will start to wash it out.

the nice thing about the cream is I don't lose touch when dealing with small parts.

For re-usable nitrile, I have gone to heavier nitrile. They tear easily enough, so still safe.I can't put them on while wet. So I sprinkle baby powder to dry either me or the glove out. I can rip them off, and put them on over and over until they tear. They are 7mil..

That's my opinion.

so the thing about gloves is a heavier glove is dangerous around machines, a nitrile will tear off, so not dangerous.

I use nitriles, but I also at times put on a cream that prevents the dirt from embedding which allows me to wash it off much more easily. it's good for oil, but not great for coolant which will start to wash it out.

the nice thing about the cream is I don't lose touch when dealing with small parts.

For re-usable nitrile, I have gone to heavier nitrile. They tear easily enough, so still safe.I can't put them on while wet. So I sprinkle baby powder to dry either me or the glove out. I can rip them off, and put them on over and over until they tear. They are 7mil..

That's my opinion.

Gloves that tear easily let you get cut easily.

If you are grabbing spinning parts of a CNC mill or lathe your presence in the shop is the safety hazard, not the gloves.

I use the Nitrile gloves a lot when metal chips are not an issue. Not a big deal and wash my hands with gloves on if office stuff is needed.

I use "Raven" brand black nitrile gloves, like, constantly. I use 'em so often it kind of doesn't feel right to not have 'em on in the shop. 6 mil, I think, and I can reuse a pair several times.

It used to be, I'd finish up a day, and have to scrub the bejeebers out of my hands- usually with some kind of hand cleaner, which of course strips skin oils out too. At the end of a hot week, my hands'd be dry, cracked and sore.

With the nitrile gloves, it doesn't matter what I did; peel 'em off, toss 'em, a quick rinse with plain hand soap and you're set.

Doc.

Latex gets soft, sticky and rips with exposure to any oils.

Nitrile is best, get the size you need.
XL is common for men, but really rare in medical use where the majority are women.

Get from a reputable source.
China is even counterfeiting nitrile gloves, selling coloured latex as nitrile.

Vinyl are far cheaper, still oil resistant and durable enough, but much less flexible so sizing becomes even more important.

The barrier creams are nice, but I find a drop of ivory liquid soap rubbed into my hands until dry is the same.
It washes out super well as the grease doesn't get a chance to soak in.

Back