GoFundMe For 1953chevb (Lee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1953chevB

Cast Iron
GoFundMe for Leesr (Lee)

Removed by OP, never coming back good luck

Last edited:
SCAM!!!!! Same post over on Home Shop Machinist with different name...

I don't remember the (Lee) being there the first time I saw this post. I suppose a guy could hang at both places using different "screen names"? So to the OP sorry about your wife and this situation.

Not that it isn't a good cause or nothing but is this allowed here? GoFundMe's?

Brent

Gofund me requests should be run by mods and posted by mods only imo.

I tend to agree. Sorry for the Op's loss but he only joined two months ago, so I doubt this is going to be that well received. Long time members here have passed and no one took up a collection.

I tend to agree. Sorry for the Op's loss but he only joined two months ago, so I doubt this is going to be that well received. Long time members here have passed and no one took up a collection.

Maybe I have no empathy, but strangers panhandling on an internet forum rubs me absolutely the wrong way.

Maybe I have no empathy, but strangers panhandling on an internet forum rubs me absolutely the wrong way.

I could see it if someone known to them took up a collection to help RJ's wife or something similar if she was in a bad spot. I am sure many of us who never met him or spoke with him felt like we knew him. I have a few customers here, met three members in person, and spoke with a few others on the phone in 15 years. I seriously doubt the OP has much of a connection here in 2 months and would be considered a stranger.

I could see it if someone known to them took up a collection to help RJ's wife or something similar if she was in a bad spot. I am sure many of us who never met him or spoke with him felt like we knew him. I have a few customers here, met three members in person, and spoke with a few others on the phone in 15 years. I seriously doubt the OP has much of a connection here in 2 months and would be considered a stranger.

I did a leetle googling, and can't find any obit.
GoflockMe page is very, very vague.

Goflockme, I like that one.
I am sorry for the guys loss, sucks to lose a loved one. But I never believed in the gofundme thing.

Not finding an obit or announcement means diddly. Many folks pass without so much as a mention.

Lots of people have medical bills and other financial burdens(divorce for example).

Which is why this whole thing of asking for money on web is a sticky wicket on a slippery slope.

Not finding an obit or announcement means diddly. Many folks pass without so much as a mention.

Lots of people have medical bills and other financial burdens(divorce for example).

Which is why this whole thing of asking for money on web is a sticky wicket on a slippery slope.

But it is, if you asking for $78k without any names, dates, receipts, or evidence of any kind.

That's exactly the problem. You want proof and his story could very well be true without there being any proof (that you can find).

That's exactly the problem. You want proof and his story could very well be true without there being any proof (that you can find).

It's one thing to "pass the hat" here, but when done in person at work, everyone already knows of the reason.

Flat out asking for $78k is a bit more risky.

I agree about the proof, and we should not have to go looking for it.

The person asking for money needs to show the proof, up front, before being asked/cross examined.

I would urge the addition of commercially-mediated-begging (gofundme is a for-profit, pure and simple), or, even better, no pleas for money of any kind, to the PM sticky which defines non-permitted content.

I am so turned off by what has become incessant pressure for me to transfer money out of my account into someone else's account that I now have cut my contributions to zero. Or at least it's zero if I know nothing about the person doing the begging. It has become too hard to separate out honest requests from scammy ones. It's not that I am unfriendly to, say, firefighters, or kids with godawful diseases, just that I respond differently to someone I know and respect than I do to telemarketing efforts. In the present case, I know nothing about "Lee" except that he signed up here a month ago and says that he has an interest in "old cars". Not much encouraging info to be gained by looking at the GoFundMe OP link.

Maybe as his handle suggests he has a '53 Chevy.

-Marty-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back