What's new
What's new

Going south while unloading a Cincinnati 202-12

TwinDad

Plastic
Hello,

So as the title says things went to hell today while unloading our 202-12 off our trailer with a forklift. I was trying to get it closer to the side of the trailer to get more of the forks under the mill when I'm not sure exactly what happened but it ended with the base of the mill on the trailer and the rest on my driveway. Plenty of superficial damage and broken handles what I'm trying to determine is the extent. I had all the ways locked down for better or worse and my cursory look at them didn't show any major damage. The variable speed switch is broken and will not move. The spindle will extend about 2 inches and then seems to jam. I haven't tried pushing it hard because I didn't want to break anything more. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping I didn't just destroy our mill along with our trailer. Thanks for any help or suggestions,

TwinDad

Suck up the loss and have it professionally done next time. I'm sure the cost of the damage done will far outweigh the cost of having it done for you.

Steel forks bearing directly on the steel underside of the machine ?

slippery at best.

Sounds like a classic case of dirty muffler bearings.

Did you try hitting it with a hammer?

Judging by the vast amount of details you've provided I'm gonna say the bigger hammer route is your best bet.

Sounds like a classic case of dirty muffler bearings.

Did you try hitting it with a hammer?

Judging by the vast amount of details you've provided I'm gonna say the bigger hammer route is your best bet.

Shirley we could work in some "Light hydrocarbons" into this trainwreck….

Talk about a case of piling on... Sheesh, poor fellow probably feels bad enough as it is. I'm glad no one got hurt. About the only thing to do is start disassembling and check piece by piece.

Pictures will help to assess the damage. (and see how bad you fucked up)
Anyway, shit is done, so now you have to deal with it.

Never lift or move with steel forks on steel machine (as you have learned). Cut some wood to put on the forks. (I have oak planks cut to fit my forks, if you give a shit).

talk about a case of piling on... Sheesh, poor fellow probably feels bad enough as it is. I'm glad no one got hurt. About the only thing to do is start disassembling and check piece by piece.

g.i.g.o...…..:D

Last edited:
TwinDad -

I'm with eKretz - just glad nobody got hurt. If it is a Cinel 202-12 I have one as well. Weighs in at about 3,700 pounds if my memory is working this evening. Post some pictures and let's see what things look like.

Dale

That is why I always use a sling attached to the forks above the machine and pull up because most are top heavy. What is done is done. Thank God no one was hurt. Call your insurance company and see if the damage is covered before you take everything apart.

So far I have moved my mill twice with a fork lift without any damage. Perhaps I should say a prayer of thanks.

I hope is is still in the same place when I am moved to my final resting place. Or can I take it with me?

Talk about a case of piling on... Sheesh, poor fellow probably feels bad enough as it is. I'm glad no one got hurt. About the only thing to do is start disassembling and check piece by piece.

Another vote for this. " Let him who is without sin cast the first stone ". At one point in my career I moved machines for a living and I dropped two machines. One was a wood working planer/thicknesser and the other was a old but fancy drill grinder. I re-built them both with the help of a very good cast iron welder. The planer/thicknesser lived to fight another day but a workmate later managed to do a better job of dropping the drill grinder than I did and it went to our " elephants graveyard ".

I came within an ace of allowing a huge slotter ( vertical shaper ) to fall over when working with an helper. I turned my back on him and the job to reset our winch and he did something really silly whilst I was concentrating on what I was doing. What I learnt then was don't turn your back on the job even with when you're working with experienced guys.

I had another close shave when I was lying down a really big cross rail and boring head off a large vertical boring machine. I allowed the overhead crane driver to rush the job when I should have told him his fortune.

I probably didn't sleep too well on the nights after those incidents. Dropping a machine isn't to be taken lightly, wether it's your machine or that of a customer. I expect the OP felt the same as I did and it's not a nice feeling.

Best thing to do is take it all apart and assess the damage.

Transporting machinery on forklifts can be hazardous especially if the cast iron machine base is sat directly onto the steel forks. Timber on the forks and lash the machine to the forklift mast is the way to go.

Regards Tyrone.

Another vote for this. " Let him who is without sin cast the first stone ". At one point in my career I moved machines for a living and I dropped two machines. One was a wood working planer/thicknesser and the other was a old but fancy drill grinder. I re-built them both with the help of a very good cast iron welder. The planer/thicknesser lived to fight another day but a workmate later managed to do a better job of dropping the drill grinder than I did and it went to our " elephants graveyard ".

I came within an ace of allowing a huge slotter ( vertical shaper ) to fall over when working with an helper. I turned my back on him and the job to reset our winch and he did something really silly whilst I was concentrating on what I was doing. What I learnt then was don't turn your back on the job even with when you're working with experienced guys.

I had another close shave when I was lying down a really big cross rail and boring head off a large vertical boring machine. I allowed the overhead crane driver to rush the job when I should have told him his fortune.

I probably didn't sleep too well on the nights after those incidents. Dropping a machine isn't to be taken lightly, wether it's your machine or that of a customer. I expect the OP felt the same as I did and it's not a nice feeling.

Best thing to do is take it all apart and assess the damage.

Transporting machinery on forklifts can be hazardous especially if the cast iron machine base is sat directly onto the steel forks. Timber on the forks and lash the machine to the forklift mast is the way to go.

Regards Tyrone.

While I can certainly sympathize with making a mistake as I've made oodles of them in my time, what I find deserving of sarcasm is a post that basically reads, I dropped my machine, the quill only moves 2", what's wrong with it?

No pictures, no detailed description, nothing to help anyone even begin to guess what's wrong. Maybe the purpose of the post was to vent cause clearly the OP hasn't put any effort into helping someone help him.

Just my thoughts on the situation

I get that, but once (or even twice, but 6! Times?) is enough... It's obvious that the machine is probably as hurt as his pride. And yes, some photos would be helpful.

Unfortunately looks like getting bashed on his first post was not the sort of advice he was looking for. I'm with Ekretz, the piling on was a little heavy handed.
Hodge

While I can certainly sympathize with making a mistake as I've made oodles of them in my time, what I find deserving of sarcasm is a post that basically reads, I dropped my machine, the quill only moves 2", what's wrong with it?

No pictures, no detailed description, nothing to help anyone even begin to guess what's wrong. Maybe the purpose of the post was to vent cause clearly the OP hasn't put any effort into helping someone help him.

Just my thoughts on the situation

Pictures can be a little challenging for first time posters. More so if using your phone.

Back