Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BT Fabrication View Post
    moving with professional riggers don't seem so expensive now..........
    Yeah they still do considering it would have been close the what I paid for the machine. Actually after looking at what's broken there's only a couple of things I'm going to need to purchase and I seriously doubt they would cost anywhere near what I would have had to pay to get a rigger out to my house and have them move it. Your sarcastic idiotic reply was useless.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    Pictures will help to assess the damage. (and see how bad you fucked up)
    Anyway, shit is done, so now you have to deal with it.

Never lift or move with steel forks on steel machine (as you have learned). Cut some wood to put on the forks. (I have oak planks cut to fit my forks, if you give a shit).
    Where exactly did I say I was using steel on steel? If I did it was a mistake. I had oak boards between the mill and the forks. Once I'm finished replying to the people who originally applied I'm dropping this thread like the POS it is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by duckfarmer27 View Post
    TwinDad -

I'm with eKretz - just glad nobody got hurt. If it is a Cinel 202-12 I have one as well. Weighs in at about 3,700 pounds if my memory is working this evening. Post some pictures and let's see what things look like.

Dale
    Thank you one of the few people who actually seem to care and aren't out to attempt to show off their superiority. I'm done with this site. I do not need help from people who pretend that everything they do is perfect.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Another vote for this. " Let him who is without sin cast the first stone ". At one point in my career I moved machines for a living and I dropped two machines. One was a wood working planer/thicknesser and the other was a old but fancy drill grinder. I re-built them both with the help of a very good cast iron welder. The planer/thicknesser lived to fight another day but a workmate later managed to do a better job of dropping the drill grinder than I did and it went to our " elephants graveyard ".

I came within an ace of allowing a huge slotter ( vertical shaper ) to fall over when working with an helper. I turned my back on him and the job to reset our winch and he did something really silly whilst I was concentrating on what I was doing. What I learnt then was don't turn your back on the job even with when you're working with experienced guys.

I had another close shave when I was lying down a really big cross rail and boring head off a large vertical boring machine. I allowed the overhead crane driver to rush the job when I should have told him his fortune.

I probably didn't sleep too well on the nights after those incidents. Dropping a machine isn't to be taken lightly, wether it's your machine or that of a customer. I expect the OP felt the same as I did and it's not a nice feeling.

Best thing to do is take it all apart and assess the damage.

Transporting machinery on forklifts can be hazardous especially if the cast iron machine base is sat directly onto the steel forks. Timber on the forks and lash the machine to the forklift mast is the way to go.

Regards Tyrone.
    Thank you Tyrone. Thank you very much. Sometimes things just go wrong. Hindsight being 20/20 I can see ways now I might have avoided this issue and I will learn from this mistake and move on. Thankfully no one was hurt and I don't believe the machine was hurt beyond cosmetic damage. Once again thank you very much for your posts and word of encouragement. Now if only the rest could be as kind and intelligent with their words as you.

5. Likes Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Unfortunately looks like getting bashed on his first post was not the sort of advice he was looking for. I'm with Ekretz, the piling on was a little heavy handed.
    Hodge
    You are absolutely correct which is why I'm done with this site. If it were populated by people who were more like Tyrone, eKretz, yourself, EPAIII and others who I believe I have at replied to I would stay. However when the good posts are outnumbered by at least 2:! with BS like (bet you wish you hired a pro) I will not. While there are obviously some highly knowledgeable and caring people on this site it seems as if the majority are those who use the benefit of hindsight to tell you how stupid you were all the while pretending that they have not done similar things themselves. Thanks to those I have mentioned.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    You are absolutely correct which is why I'm done with this site. If it were populated by people who were more like Tyrone, eKretz, yourself, EPAIII and others who I believe I have at replied to I would stay. However when the good posts are outnumbered by at least 2:! with BS like (bet you wish you hired a pro) I will not. While there are obviously some highly knowledgeable and caring people on this site it seems as if the majority are those who use the benefit of hindsight to tell you how stupid you were all the while pretending that they have not done similar things themselves. Thanks to those I have mentioned.
    Hey friend, accidents bring onlookers, this site has a lot to offer.
    You get an in rush of “on looker” and many of them are (although very talented/experienced) “glass half empty” kinda folks.

Stick around, take a breath and post some questions/pictures, I think you’ll find the usual crowd comes around soon enough.

If I might add, you should go over to a HVAC forum, tell them your a homeowner, and post a question about ANYTHING, they will tell you OFF.

“Get a professional”
    “It’s too dangerous”
    “Your not qualified”
    “Your taking food out of a techs mouth”
    “You’ll die”
    And so on. Very hostile place for “normies”.

Ps, you have to “subscribe” to this thread to get notifications in “forum actions” in order to be notified of replys. I just go to my “recent activity” and check where I’ve been.

Please allow me to offer an apology on behalf of the “glass half empty guys”.
    Last edited by Homebrewblob; 01-13-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Error

8. Likes Kjelle, TeachMePlease, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The HVAC repair 'industry' is indeed one full of prima donnas. As if they are entitled to a living based on protectionism.

But I'll bet you $10 that they, when their car breaks, don't feel obligated to hire a mechanic. When their pipe breaks at home, they don't feel obligated to hire a plumber. People.....

10. Likes Homebrewblob, Kjelle, duckfarmer27 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Hey friend, accidents bring onlookers, this site has a lot to offer.
    You get an in rush of “on looker” and many of them are (although very talented/experienced) “glass half empty” kinda folks.

Stick around, take a breath and post some questions/pictures, I think you’ll find the usual crowd comes around soon enough.

If I might add, you should go over to a HVAC forum, tell them your a homeowner, and post a question about ANYTHING, they will tell you OFF.

“Get a professional”
    “It’s too dangerous”
    “Your not qualified”
    “Your taking food out of a techs mouth”
    “You’ll die”
    And so on. Very hostile place for “normies”.

Ps, you have to “subscribe” to this thread to get notifications in “forum actions” in order to be notified of replys. I just go to my “recent activity” and check where I’ve been.

Please allow me to offer an apology on behalf of the “glass half empty guys”.
    Please do NOT encourage a "bad actor" to stick around.....

12. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I’m not.......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The spindle will extend about 2 inches and then seems to jam. I haven't tried pushing it hard because I didn't want to break anything more. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping I didn't just destroy our mill along with our trailer. Thanks for any help or suggestions,

TwinDad
    I'm sorry, let me try again. You have an interference issue somewhere other than the 2" of quill that extends out. WTF do you expect for an answer? Stupid vague questions get stupid vague responses.

That's some quality stupidity you got there.

Is it? Cause I'm not the guy that dropped his machine and asked above question

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This site is just like any workshop matey. Some guys like to part of the problem at times and some guys like to be part of the solution. Nothing new there. I 've also been guilty in the past. Most of us don't mean any harm. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. There's a hell of a lot of knowledge on this site. Even after 50 odd years in the trade I learn something new every day. " Hang around and don't take these things to heart " would be my advice.
    You'll get over this just like you'll get over dropping the machine. You won't forget, just like I can still remember the " crunch " as the planer/thickness hit the concrete, but it doesn't keep me awake at nights.

Regards Tyrone.

16. Likes Kjelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I just noticed - your post count is getting right up there with the unlamented GBC and thermite.

Unfortunately, so is your S/N ratio.

To the OP, shit happens, this place is a tough audience and the way you're going on you're digging a deeper hole. None of us actually give a damn if you stay or go, frankly. We've seen plenty others take your attitude.

Take a deep breath, ignore clowns like digger doug and post some pix with decent problem description and you'll likely get good info.

Otherwise, off you go and best of luck but you're not going to find the same depth of knowledge anywhere else on the internet.

If you've got the parts manual I'd be starting a big strip down. If the quill won't travel through its full range something is binding and a visual inspection from the outside isn't likely to tell you. It only needs to be a few thousandths distortion after all.

PDW

18. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To the OP
    You said you placed oak boards between the machine and forks
    Oak is a hard wood. I want something to dig in
    A softer wood or better a sheet of rubber
    If you move machines on a daily base you drop one sooner or later. I have
    This is a public forum with the same people beeing great with helping and other times make fun of you
    Live with that
    I do not have the information to solve your problem with the quill
    Perhaps it is just the gear Perhaps it is out of wack
    You gave us little information to go from

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for your loss, it happened to me once, it was a lathe, gut wrenching, won’t forget that in a hurry and to be honest at the time I thought (dangerous thing!) I knew what I was doing, obviously not as I found out, hindsight is after all 20/20.
    The main thing is you weren’t injured, I know it’s a bummer but having 2400lbs of iron on your lap is unthinkable ( I’ve seen the end result, 19 tons)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where exactly did I say I was using steel on steel? If I did it was a mistake. I had oak boards between the mill and the forks. Once I'm finished replying to the people who originally applied I'm dropping this thread like the POS it is.
    So go the fuck away.

...and take your broke ass mill with you.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. At least you got the first one licked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our dear friend is now trashing PM over on the Sheldon forum-

"Oh well I'll learn something new in the process and I've already learned what not to do when unloading a mill. On that note I don't know if any of you all are members of practical machinist or not but if not be careful if you ask questions. I mentioned my issue with the mill and of the 30+ comments I received the majority were making fun of me and assuming that I was a complete idiot. I'm not a fan of people who laugh at others misery. Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of joining."

Ok- just a suggestion for you- put on your big girl panties and go fix your machine!

23. Likes Garwood, Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Words, nothing, the look my mrs gave me, ouch, like a red hot poker up the nether region, cold end first so you burn your hand if you try to pull it out
    (Steel plant wisdom imparted upon me when making a mistake lancing a ladle open years ago, quite funny really)
    Mark

25. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Our dear friend is now trashing PM over on the Sheldon forum-

"Oh well I'll learn something new in the process and I've already learned what not to do when unloading a mill. On that note I don't know if any of you all are members of practical machinist or not but if not be careful if you ask questions. I mentioned my issue with the mill and of the 30+ comments I received the majority were making fun of me and assuming that I was a complete idiot. I'm not a fan of people who laugh at others misery. Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of joining."

Ok- just a suggestion for you- put on your big girl panties and go fix your machine!
    Excellent, hopefully he is a man of his word and stays there or somewhere other than here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This place sure has changed a lot since I joined years ago. Yea, we had a few smart asses but to pile on a new guy like some of you did was not very classy.
    I guess it's way to easy to hide behind a keyboard these days.

Mr Bridgeport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread will make me more careful so I'm appreciative. Dave