What's new
What's new

Good Affordable Dealer for Shoulder Screws?

dave66

Cast Iron
We need some #6-32 18-8 shoulder screws for a product. We normally don't use specialized fasteners like this. Wow, do people want a lot for these. Best I've found is close to $3 per. Does anybody have any recommendations for getting them cheaper? Would probably get a few hundred at a time. Thanks.

When I was in Southern California, was selling my own product I bought all my fasteners at Rainbow Bolt in Riverside. (951) 684-3870

Shoulder screws are made to be somewhat precision items, hence the cost at a few bucks each. The shoulder diameter is usually +/-.001 or thereabout, and the length of shoulder is something like +/-.005 for standard ones, and closer for precision screws. I usually buy from McMaster, but as you note, shoulder screws are always "more expensive than you think". Buying a few hundred may give some small leverage with a distributor, but this type of screw is just way more expensive than a socket head cap screw.

Shoulder screws are made to be somewhat precision items, hence the cost at a few bucks each

Yeah... This screw goes through the side of a tube and then through a solid piece in the middle, but there's void in-between. So this is to prevent the screw being tightened too much and bending the parts. I'm wondering if maybe we can somehow use a regular screw and a separate stand-off sleeve somehow. The screw would probably have to have a wider than normal head.

If the design is stable and you're willing to commit to a larger order, check out smaller screw machine shops and have them made to your spec. Could get them under a buck each at the right quantity. Then you can optimize the design if there's any reason to.

Or look at making a headed sleeve (like a hollow rivet) and a regular screw.

If the design is stable and you're willing to commit to a larger order, check out smaller screw machine shops and have them made to your spec. Could get them under a buck each at the right quantity. Then you can optimize the design if there's any reason to.

Or look at making a headed sleeve (like a hollow rivet) and a regular screw.

Think those are called chicago screws. Not sure if 6-32 in stainless is common - didn't show up on mcmaster.

Think those are called chicago screws. Not sure if 6-32 in stainless is common - didn't show up on mcmaster.

I know them as sex bolts (lol), but those could work too, would save on threading one side of the tube.

In my earlier post, I was just suggesting using a headed sleeve to fit over a regular screw, then that would function as the shoulder screw the OP asked about.

Back