What's new
What's new

Good book about plating tank construction

Madis Reivik

Hot Rolled
Hello !

I need to make couple copper-plating tanks (about 600 litres each) and I want to educate myself first.
Material PP or PVC

Can someone recommend a good book about tank design ? I mean material thickness, ribbing etc etc. Dont want to reinvent the wheel :)

There are lots of off-the-shelf polyethylene water tanks and septic tanks. If the PE would soften at the temp you need, you could build a wooden box around for support. I made a welded PP tank years ago, and had little confidence in the welding process..of course I improvised everything.

Around here you can buy custom rectangular welded tanks for transport of water for fire service tankers. I don't know the exact plastic. I think the local units have 3/4" wall thickness, 3250 gallon.

The round/oval tanks I am familiar with are rotary molded PE.

Honestly you need em double skinned and you need to consider spill control first!

Before recommendations, is this for rack or barrel plating, production or onesy twosey, and do you have post plating procedures?

First thing you notice when you go into a plating room, everything is covered in rust. Secondly, there is water everywhere. The rinse tanks overflow into a gutter built into the floor. Some of the tanks, such as the cleaning tank, are heated and are filled with a caustic solution. You will need a minimum number of four tanks, a wash tank, rinse with clear water, the plating tank, another rinse.

Tom

Hi !

I have all the other baths and also, currently the galv baths are working but they are aged and look fragile, already welded (melted) for repairs. Also I want to rethink the tubing and pumps.

So, I have outer dimensions and all the piping requirements, I just need to find good source for choosing PVC/PP plate thickness and ribbing.

I very much doubt there are any books on this, you could look for something from the Soviet era, but practices from those times might not be applicable today, quite a few tanks back then were made from titanium, just because it wasn't really a matter of expense back then, today it is welded or rotomolded plastic

PVC is on the fragile side, PE(HDPE) is a safer bet if the bath chemistry allows (I'm not familiar with copper plating), 6mm HDPE is about the norm used for tanks, ribbing is as needed, shape of the tank will dictate it (tall/narrow vs shallow/wide will require different reinforcement), double skinning is a norm as Adama said, cheapest way is particle board (15+mm thick) skinned with glass fiber vinyl resin (there are a lot of resins out there, need to make sure the particular one resists the chemicals in the tank), stainless steel is of course an option, local environmental safety regulations may restrict you in the choice of materials as well, so check with them first, then look for books and construction materials

and modern plating systems don't overflow over the edge of the tank on to the floor, and water isn't everywhere, there are drains like on roofs of houses from anything that can overflow to catch liquids before they have a chance to mix and cause even more problems than just a spill

p.s.
reason why I said there aren't any books is because most systems are more or less custom, which means someone with knowledge designed and built them for a customer, writing this down in a book for anyone to use is not the capitalism works, you could try to get some info from plating chemical supplier companies though

there is a good forum regarding plating and finishing in general - finishing.com, you can post your question there, maybe find/hire a consultant even

Thanks for answers. I tried amazoning around and also did not find anything. Guess I try using Solid Edge and some simpler FEA. And industrial espionage with google :)

Back