Good brown and sharpe calipers.and a good set of files - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    I'm in my 30s so I'm not an old codger with a fear of technology that's stuck in his ways just yet....
    I guess that is how I have been branded by someone who is even older than I am. Explain what you mean by "fear of technology", that sounds condescending. I have an "if it isn't broke don't fix it" attitude. If upgrading to the latest and greatest doesn't save me time and money, money could be better spent elsewhere. I know people that always have to have the newest phone and computer, most of those people use them as entertainment, since I don't see phones or computers as toys I only need what suits my needs, a flip phone, and a low end PC with windows 7. As far as operating systems I only upgrade when basically forced to.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you have completely misread the intent and tone of my post. The post was also not aimed at you or made with you in mind. I haven't been keeping close enough attention to who said what in this thread for that to begin with.

I am not a native English speaker but though the tone was recognizably sarcastic and that the point if my post was "hey I'm young(ish) and I like the analog tools despite being a tech head otherwise, there are other reasons to like them than just inertia and dislike of modern stuff".

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I have battery powered hand drills and can hardly remember what life was like without them. Bought a robot lawn mower a couple of years ago (battery operated of course) and it does a better job than I ever did. Hmmm also my toothbrush.

You've made me realise how much I have that uses a battery, including starting my car.

A few years ago (and in Denmark Christmas is celebrated on the eve of the 24th) a female was given a longish box with the innocent words "Sorry I forgot a battery" and of course some of us laughed. Turns out it was "just" an electric toothbrush.
    Jo vi firar jul på julafton här också. (Yes we celebrate christmas on christmas eve here too). Anyway, Kamelåså!

I do own a set of Makita 18v impact driver and drill. I would say they are exceptions, but I wasn't really thinking of those kinds of tools when I made this post, mostly of micrometers, indicators and calipers.

4. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    Jo vi firar jul på julafton här också. (Yes we celebrate christmas on christmas eve here too). Anyway, Kamelåså!

I do own a set of Makita 18v impact driver and drill. I would say they are exceptions, but I wasn't really thinking of those kinds of tools when I made this post, mostly of micrometers, indicators and calipers.
    Re "Kamelåså!". My son is married to a Norwegian girl (Bergen born so that makes her more Norwegian than ordinary Norwegians - so I'm told ) lives and works in Bergen and I have a 5 year old Norwegian granddaughter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mitutoyo is excellent but not my favourite.
    Which brand is?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Have you ever used Windows 8.1 ?

I'd say his advice was pretty solid ...
    Everyone should know to skip every other generation of Windows:

98: good
    ME: bad
    7: good
    8: bad
    10: good

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Everyone should know to skip every other generation of Windows:

98: good
    ME: bad
    7: good
    8: bad
    10: good
    You forgot Windows Nien (Linux)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    What is a fixie? Never heard of that one.
    A fixie (or fixed gear) is a commuter or racing bicycle frame with direct chain drive between singe chainwheel and rear sprocket. It's without a freewheel, so it's distinct from a normal single speed.

As you can guess, you have to keep pumping your legs if you're moving or slowing down, no coasting. Some rely just on back pressure on the pedals to slow down, some use a front brake too.

Frequently seen in hipster environments, but not exclusively. While I haven't ridden in ages, if I were to buy a new bike a fixie would not be on my shopping list.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I payed up for Mitutoyo coolant proof 6in digital calipers when I graduated from trade school 11 years ago. They are still as accurate as the day I bought them and pass Mili45208 calibration every 6 months. The most expensive tools in the world will be scrap in no time if you don't take care of them, that is what's most important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I agree, Digi cals are all around better than dial or vernier calipers, in my opinion. Especially the setpoint feature. Rather than having to calculate how much more needs to come off, I set the zero at .625, I make a pass, I measure it's at .023...I know immediately what needs to come off without having to think.
    Never thought of that, thanks.
    Not sure if this tip has been mentioned, measuring the depth of a reamed hole is easy with digital calipers. Measure the length of your pin gauge, set the calipers to Zero, and use the step head to measure the depth of the pin. Easy peasy.
    I do like analog for my DeepOL measuring on the quill on the milling machine and the Travadial on my lathe. Watching digital numbers change is no where near as easy as watching a needle close in on required depth.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Which brand is?
    I should have rephrased that. I have no "favourite" but it's been a while since Mitutoyo would be my first choice.

It should be remembered that I get to try and use many brands and there isn't one I'd state was better than all others. I'm definitely not saying Mitutoyo aren't good but a good bit of their price is for the name.

I'm expressing a personal opinion.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Watching digital numbers change is no where near as easy as watching a needle close in on required depth.
    The speedometer on my wife's car is digital. It's only a question of getting used to it. When accelerating or decelerating on any car it's never the speedometer that has my attention.

Every car I've owned is stick shift. Every car I've rented in the USA is automatic. I'll probably shock most Americans when I say that I prefer stick shift.

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So when it goes for Dials I have cheapie one's for the guys in the shop for random things.
    Then Mitutoyo and Tesa. When it comes to the Mitutoyos I have the one's that read to 0.01mm. Obviously don't use them to go to that but they feel pretty damn good. They are the yellow dial one's, not sure if they still make them. Then the Tesa's I have read to 0.02 and the OD measuring faces feel better than the Mitutoyo's, and the ID feel better on the Mitutoyo's. The Tesa's have really thin legs so for someone inexperienced it can really mess you around..

I also have Standard gauge digitals (Chinese made) that are pretty decent. I just prefer the dials and I am a young guy.

A depth foot for a decent caliper is also a plus point. Gordon, have you ever made a non standard depth foot for someone?

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is files you are after Vallorbe are the way to go. You won't be disappointed. If the budget is tighter then Pherd will do the job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every car I've owned is stick shift. Every car I've rented in the USA is automatic. I'll probably shock most Americans when I say that I prefer stick shift.
    If they still made them that way around here, I'd only have 3-pedal cars as well. Sold off the 'stang summer following little man's birth (anyone surprised?) and I miss being able to row my own.

That being said, it surprises me that you prefer the superior tactile feedback of a manual transmission motor vehicle, but disdain the preference of such regarding measurement devices

EDIT: Just to make my stance clear, I prefer dial calipers but I need to work in Metric enough on inch-based machines that I use digital to keep everything straight.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    If they still made them that way around here, I'd only have 3-pedal cars as well. Sold off the 'stang summer following little man's birth (anyone surprised?) and I miss being able to row my own.

That being said, it surprises me that you prefer the superior tactile feedback of a manual transmission motor vehicle, but disdain the preference of such regarding measurement devices

EDIT: Just to make my stance clear, I prefer dial calipers but I need to work in Metric enough on inch-based machines that I use digital to keep everything straight.
    I guess I did open that door I don't know if it is simply a question of habit and what I've been used to or not. If you were watching the road and not my right hand I doubt if you'd notice or feel when I changed gear.

The first time I rented a car with automatic gear (USA) I developed a bad habit of using the gear to help acceleration. I also braked with my left foot to give it something to do. I eventually dropped those bad habits.

I've used and demonstrated all makes and types of digital calipers for so many years now I've become very good The hands in this are mine.

YouTube

I'm also not in favour of using gauge blocks for calibration as they tend not to show potential or actual slack on the sliding jaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    Calipers vernier, dial, or digital are not suitable for precision measurements. If you use them in an aerospace shop you'd better be checking raw material. If you expect to advance beyond home hobby shop work do yourself a favor and get a decent set of micrometers.

He is in school! 🤦*♀️🤦*♀️

I’d buy the $10 hf digital caliper.
    You are going to lose it, drop it,or both in the same day.

19. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post