What's new
What's new

Good and or cheap depth micrometer?

MrSsstudder

Plastic
Looking to buy a depth micrometer digital or analog. Price under $100. My shop has mitutoyo depth mics for finishing depths with tight tolerances but looking for something of my own. Looking on amazon and or ebay. I guess something good for roughing. Options and opinions. Thanks

don't think you will get a digital for $100, i searched eBay for a while and eventually found a 0-12 depth mic in mitutoyo for a reasonable sum it was in good condition showed little wear from use, cannot remember price but think it was more dollars as well.

I suppose a 0-2 or a 0-1 maybe what you will get in mitutoyo with some use for the money you offer. Have a look for a while pricing may have changed since i last looked.

...Options and opinions. Thanks
Opinion. Get a Mitutoyo or Starrett and have a good depth micrometer, which is better than a good and cheap one. Doesn't need to be a digital.

I like the short base versions. They are nicer for getting into tight spots, but a little less stable.

I don't buy used measuring tools that I can't check out in person first. Especially hand tools.

In the world of Trade and Service-you can have Good, Cheap or Fast, but you can't have all three. It seems to be a truth, the exception is trickery.

R

Looking to buy a depth micrometer digital or analog. Price under $100. My shop has mitutoyo depth mics for finishing depths with tight tolerances but looking for something of my own. Looking on amazon and or ebay. I guess something good for roughing. Options and opinions. Thanks
was a time you could go to a Sears store and buy depth micrometer set. online they sell but not under $100. for digital

I would say away from digital! Yes they are easy to read BUT a good dept micrometer will last a life time if used properly and not abused. Digital can go bad just sitting there. I have just about very base size Starrett depth mic they sell including the flat blade and small diameter rod type. I purchased the Digital type similar to the digital calipers because what I was doing that style worked best because is has a small hook that will work like a hook ruler. Worked great! Completed the job and it sat in the case and both in the cardboard box in my Oak tool chest. I'm thinking that was properly stored. One day I decided to use it, it will zero but that all that will happen! Called Starrett for repair and was told that type was discontinued but return it with $400+ and they will send me the new model! It's still in my toolbox! All the other depth mics are working fine, the type I use most is the 1/2 base, use it so much I have 2. One has the 0-1" rod in it and the other 1-2". I use a longer rods once in a while but usually opt for the full base version. Not sure if the depth micrometers have as many decimal places as the digital micrometers but looking at the Starrett Catalog the standard .0001 reading micrometer is more accurate!

Others may disagree with this but it's just my opinion from being a tool & die maker for several decades. I stay away from digital based upon perceived fragility and a battery that may be dead when I need it. I prefer the older instruments for out in the shop environment. I'll also add to the topic by stating that I still have a Starrett 0-6 with a 2" base that served me well for decades. I did come across a good deal on a new 0-12 B&S with a 4" base that had a good feel despite maybe being made in China. The one aspect I liked about it was the spherical mating surface of the adjustment cap on the rod. With the Starrett and Mitutoyo the adjustment cap is flat faced and requires a good cleaning of mating surfaces when changing depth rods. Sometimes getting ALL the grit off the adjustment rod cap requires paper and a couple of tries to get it clean enough. This can be especially noticeable when switch rods several times during a job for multiple stack/depth readings like checking the timing of a stamping die or slot/pocket depth of mold inserts. Once the depth rods have been set against a Master they shouldn't need further adjustment so when I noticed readings that were off .003-.005 I knew that crud was present. Sure, you should always keep your instruments clean but working in a grinding or relatively dirty work setting can make that difficult when taking readings that have to be with in .0015 of accuracy. The spherical design may tend to be less susceptible to grease or crud from fingers/surroundings as it may push foreign substances out. This may not be true and just my perception but I've not needed to be as finicky about cleanliness (though I know I should be...) when changing rods multiple times during a session. I still like my Starrett and the Fowler for quick readings but the B&S with that longer base is my preferred choice if it fits. The B&S isn't cheap but cheap instruments aren't what I'd call a good investment for long term use. JMO, feel free to disagree.

Here's a set if you can go to $150: https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-Economy-Depth-Micrometers-Resolution/dp/B00B5KP7HA

Fowler isn't what it used to be, but some stuff is surprisingly good. For instance, I have a 7yr old 1-3 mechanical 'digital' mic set with vernier scales which is very well made, gets daily use and is every bit as accurate and repeatable as my old Starrett mics. Might be worth a look.

Same thing, almost at your price:
52-225-110 Fowler Economy Depth Micrometer: 0-4" (2.5" Base)
Fowler Economy Depth Micrometer, 0-4", 2.5" Base - 52-225-110 - Penn Tool Co., Inc
52-225-110-0 Fowler Economy Depth Micrometer 0-4", 2.5" base

For quick checks I made a base for my digital caliper. You can buy them too.
I only rely on them for +-.001 though. Nice thing is zeroing at a depth for comparative measurements.

Still rely on depth mikes for critical measurements, and have two so I can set up at different depths and different base lengths.

Dave

I have a Lufkin that I got 10 or more years ago for the same reason on ebay. It was a good bit cheaper than many of the more common names but is a very nice tool.

Mits with the wide base. Plenty on E-yuk and those guys make dirt reliable stuff that really take a beating.
I prefer the old mechanical counter types. Gets you into the correct reading quickly which you finish off on the thimble.
Eliminates screw ups which are easy on a depth mic, none of the downside of digital.
There are times the narrow base is needed but many more time when the wide base helps.

These devices even in the best of hands are touchy/feely and a high trust or repeatability in the numbers is hard.
Any rod change needs a calibration check, matters not the make. Nobody has eyeballs the see .0001-.001 contamination.

Real rough numbers and I'll use the back side of digital calipers.
Bob

For rough measurements, the added base to a decent digital caliper will do. Not always particularly handy, though, if you're trying to measure something still in a mill.

As others have suggested, about the only way to get good and cheap is to buy a quality used unit. Realize, too, that beyond the 0-1" depth rod, you're going to need some way to check and calibrate the rods. Might be able to get close with well made 1-2-3 blocks, a surface plate, and good mics to check how close to 1-2-3 they actually are.

Depth mics are handy enough, you might as well get something decent.

That 6” 445 is priced pretty good if you get it shipped cheap enough.

I agree with the comments on the touchy/feely business & I have several. Prolly the most used depth checker in the .001” res range I have would be the starrett 0-3” dial depth gage, you can drive that one around a bit & sense rise/fall & settle pretty quickly.

Yes they all need checked with something, but that's a good habit with any micrometer.

Good luck,
Matt

Another option is to keep an eye on Craig's List for people selling off their tooling.
A coworker stumbled across 2 goldmine sellers, and for $200 he came back with about $2000 worth of tooling from older guys that have since retired and wanted to get rid of their stuff, or a widow selling her late husbands' stuff.

I realize that you are working and may not have access to this. But I goto garage and estate sales. I got my Lufkin for $5.. Fit's my wallet, and limited use. For roughing I use a caliper.. for accuracy I use the Lufkin.
I like the Mitituyo caliper with the narrow round rod for depth since it fits in most everything. I don't have one, but have used one at a friends.. Still looking to buy one.

I would get a Starrett catalog and others. Look at the types the numbers represent. Companies like Starrett make the Depth mic with a smaller diameter rod or a thin blade that doesn't turn. Find the type you want and check sites like ebay. The cheaper ones have the previous owners name engraved, some in a poor way and some the name is butchered by the seller removing the identity. Could be stolen! It's then up to you as to what you want

Back