What's new
What's new

Good drill bits? Brand?

stoneaxe

Stainless
Any recommendations on good quality drill bits? Not a cheapskate, but not made of dollars either.
General purpose metal working, lathe and mill and drill press, not much stainless or tough metals, looking for HSS 135 degree split point.

If they do not have the stupid stamped sizes that leave a burr that must be removed before use in a collet that would be great. Why do they do that, anyway?

stoneaxe --

There are probably at least two dozen makers of excellent-to-superb twist drills available in the US, and we members of this board list most of them every couple of months. A quick search of this site will turn up several threads asking and answering your question.

I usually end up recommending Viking or Norseman -- which, to the best of my knowledge, identical until they are marked with their brandnames. The difference between the two brands is in how they are marketed, Viking is sold to the manufacturing world, and Norseman is sold to the Maintenance / Repair / Overhall world; you won't go wrong with either brand, and they're both reasonably available through local distributors.

John

Norseman. Made in USA. Excellent quality control. Many options in terms of finish, length, cases. Patrick at Industrial Supply Center has the best prices on Norseman.

Norseman. Made in USA. Excellent quality control. Many options in terms of finish, length, cases. Patrick at Industrial Supply Center has the best prices on Norseman.
I tested a load of US made drills, imho triumph were the best balance for cost vs quality, good bits on the whole,
Mark

Are you talking about buying a drill index, stocking common sizes or buying for the job? One bad thing about drills is many brands have like other machinist cutting tools have had their quality go downhill over time. For me on the value end I go with Precision brand and on the spare no expense end Guhring.

+1 YG P-GOLDS

They drill on size really nice, and I have had great surface finishes in A2 in the 75sfm range .

Accupro (MSC brand) are fine for aluminum, maybe even mild steels. I like their parabolic drills. But for general purpose, I would say use precision or cleveland. Not super expensive, but not bottom of the barrel.

I tested a load of US made drills, imho triumph were the best balance for cost vs quality, good bits on the whole,
Mark

I like Triumph too. Although about half of those in my last order were made in Brazil they performed as well as the other US made drills. Hertel is also good and neither Triumph nor Hertel are terribly expensive.

Back