What's new
What's new

Good evening, my intro/first of many questions

Voest

Plastic
Good evening gentlemen,

I’ve been casually sitting on the sideline trying to absorb info for quite awhile. For about the past 10-15 years Ive been half heartedly looking for a gear head lathe “suited to my needs”. Well; in the last week I decided the need was urgent and today I purchased a voest 210 x 1500 or the next larger model (not completely certain at the moment). I’m leaning towards it being a 210, but I won’t know for a week or so.

My question is: what recommendations are there in terms of collet type chucks, and possibly 4 jaw type chucks? Thanks for anyone able to assist

Voest: We really need more info about your lathe. Is the spindle a D-5 or a D-6? Or is it an older style that has one of the long tapers with a screw collar?

JH

My question is: what recommendations are there in terms of collet type chucks, and possibly 4 jaw type chucks? Thanks for anyone able to assist

All that "tooling up" as to workholding and tools and toolholding depends almost entirely on what you plan to DO with it, how fast, and whether for "revenue" or to hit tight specs...or tighter-yet delivery deadlines... or not.

Almost "not at all" as to what make of lathe or even what spindle-nose it has.

Share yer plan, we can get you started and for small money, wisely allocated.

Shot in the dark? Bare minimum:

- a decent 4-J independent, diameter about half the nominal swing,

- a decent TS drill chuck.

- 4-Way TP because they are stiffer than "lanterns", generally CHEAP, used, tolerant as to height fit-up, and don't need spendy toolholders.

Yah don't WELD a TP in-place, are allowed to have more than one, so make up yer mind about "QCTP" later ... when you KNOW more.

- collet system(s)? That depends on whether thoughput speed is your "big rock", good repeatability, or simple convenience. Good mostly for "regular" shapes, as-in round, hex, or square stock, "on size" or not-so-much.

EX:

Clean, ground, extruded, or CRS stock? -> 2J, 5C, ER, TG, etc.

Corroded, repair work, rough surface HRS -> Rubberflex, Multisize, or smaller chuck AND NOT collet atall.

CAVEAT: "decent" can mean new El Cheapo over sadly shagged-out "Usta be a Grand-Old name".
Better goods can come later.

And will do. There IS NO "upper bound" on tooling spend. DAMHIKT!

Well.... cremation will prolly stop me?

:D

Yup, I bought a DA 215 new in 1971. Good machine for general lathe wotk, nice selection of spoeds and English and metric thread pitches. Thery're pretty durable provided you oil the ways regularly.

If you have a choice, the DA 215 will swing 17 1/4" over the bed and 27" in the gap. If you're looking for an applicable range of work, the DA 215 will handle anything from automotive and light truck down to chronometer screws. Equipped with the stock 5 Kw motor it will take 3/16 DOC @ 0.012" feed per rev in hot roll. The DA 225 is the same basic lathe but with a larger swing. All Voest lathes I've seen had L--O spindle tapers.

Here's a link: Voest Lathe

I'd suggest for a mostly complete Voest lathe tooling and outfitting package:

12" cast iron chuck (half the weight of a solid body chuck and only a bit less durable, MUCH less expensive)

10" three jaw (radial adjustability would be nice but quite expensive)

Most any 5-C collet chuck (import 5-C collets are cheap and these days of pretty good quality) Alternatively a Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck or an ER-32 chuck fitted to an L-O backplate

Most any quick change tool post if one doesn't come with the machine. I prefer the Multifix system (which you can see in action on any lathe work oriented Abom79 YouTube video) but the two way dovetail style tool post pioneered by Aloris is almost de facto universal and very economical.

You'll also need a tailstock chuck and a live center having shanks that fit your quill socket. Juggling sleeves is a PITA.

Steady rest.

Add to that a selection of inserted carbide tooling and inserts, parting tool, boring bars, a few dozen pieces of HSS, a collection of larger used taper shank drills, odds and ends, lengths of heavy gage copper wire for chuck jaw paddiing, dial indicators and mag bases, centerdrill set, a rack of allen wrenches and a basic wrench and screwdriver set dedicated to the lathe's back bench, oilers, chip handling tools and receptacles, a selection of oils and coolants, etc

A dedicated bench grinder located some distance from the lathe to minimize traveling dust. I mean dedicated. Have another for general purpose grinding. The wheels best suited for grinding lathe tools do not do well dressing welds, sharpening lawn mower blades, etc

Expect to spend a substantail fraction of your lathe's purchase price outfitting it with tooling. But start with a four jaw chuck, a tool post, tailstock chuck, and a budget live center. Nothing wrong with a lantern tool post and a couple of Armstrong tool holders. That's all I had the first two years after I bought my lathe and I got lots of work done with them. Most "essential" lathe tooling beyond the pasic four jaw and tool folders is more for time and convenience than actually essential.

Just don't ask me what I had for my tea last night.

Regards Tyrone.

LOL! "separated by a common language".

Double-Gloucester with biscuit or Nova Lox and cucumber mini-sandwiches with Branston pickle, of course.

Now we can larf our arses off as the septics try to brew that combo with hot water in a cup and wonder where the effing Hell the string on the damned "teabag" has gone off to!

I haven't had Branston pickle in a coons age, now I need to chase some down.

CarlBoyd

(At least) two Yew-Ass made brands, two thicknesses stocked typical Northern VA supermarts. Heinz as "Ploughman's Pickle", Crosse & Blackwell labeled as Branston.

Genuine UK brands are over at Wegmans, along with proper marmelades & c.

I use more of it to tart up stews or add a bite to baked potato or fresh greens in salads than I do on sammiches.

Plenty of European foodstuffs on shelves all across the USA.

Their taxes are too high in the countries of origin to leave a sou to enjoy them other than at the hols, and rationed-out even so.

The impoverished maker's have to export to former colonies or go tits up for lack of business volume.

Haggis makers must export more to Masonic Lodges for Scottish Constitution installations and Burn's Night suppers than are consumed domestically.

Mind, for shipping purposes, packaged Haggis is all we get, out Asia way. Greedy buggers back in the highlands have the FRESH Haggis. They poach the little beasties still on the hoof by confusing them so their shorter "uphill" side legs get wrong way 'round and they tumble to their doom.

Nasty business, poaching Haggis. Or any other endangered species.

That was your first question.
Your thread will probably get locked down.

Now take some time to absorb this:
Topic titles need to inform what your topic is actually about

And please try to "play along"....

For the "site leader" on "likes (given)"?

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/thanks.php?do=statistics

.. mebbe you should start issuing yo-yo kits or those little decision spinners to new arrivals..... so they could more easily "play along" .....with your ambivalent nature, Doug.

Find a fascist in bed with a nurturing and developmental figure?

Some might call it schizophrenia.

The rest of us just call it an enduringly interesting marriage.

Hey all,

First, thanks to thermite, Forrest, and johnoder for the replies. I’ve alrwady purchased an aloris quick change tool post and a few tool holders. The plan is to pick up and transport the machine this Saturday, so I hope to be able to provide more details as to taper etc afterwards.

In response to digger Doug, I’m fairly certain my thread title was to the point and relevant. I’ve been on a number of other forums where an intro is recommended which was part of the reason for my post. I would have replied to the thread earlier, but the default setting is not to notify a poster to replies to threads they begin. I’ve since subscribed to the thread and added notifications.

Back