What's new
What's new

Good First Machine or Too Simple

KevinPartner

Plastic
Hello all.

After searching for months for a first lathe (that won't cost me a fortune) I have found a Hardinge Cataract available near myself for 1350 Canuck Bucks.
The model I am looking at seems to be a mid 40s model and it seems to be in a good condition.

Catarcat Lathes

Would any of you Lathe masters recommend this as a first lathe to learn how to use the machine, or is it too simple of a machine for a rookie? I've read through the page I supplied and I'm not sure how one would cut a cylinder that is longer than 2". Any ideas, recommendations, or comments are appreciated!

If you spend $1400 Canadian pesos on that thing you have more money than sense, that thing is on the wrong end of the last century. Find a used Chinese machine or if you have the room look for a Taiwanese or other offshore engine lathe made in the last 50 years.

What are you looking to make?

And do you need thread cutting. Perhaps it has a gear set and lead screw, you may need a gear chart to know how to get desire thread. do you need chucks and can you find them to fit the lathe?

It is a fine machine but parts are hard to find. Having a turret it would be very handy for high production of small parts.

With all attachments it could be nice to have but for an only or first lathe it would be very limited.

You might look in Detroit Craigslist and find a quick change Logan for about that price and so have a more useful lathe.

Looking mostly to learn and to make some small (less than 2" OD, less than 12" length) replacement parts for my milling machine.

No other work planned?

If I had no lathe for that? The mill would become she.

Otherwise? "condition" etc. Old, but "elegant", the Cataracts can be, so it will probably always find a collector as buyer at $500 or a bit.

Hello all.

After searching for months for a first lathe (that won't cost me a fortune) I have found a Hardinge Cataract available near myself for 1350 Canuck Bucks.
The model I am looking at seems to be a mid 40s model and it seems to be in a good condition.

Catarcat Lathes

Would any of you Lathe masters recommend this as a first lathe to learn how to use the machine, or is it too simple of a machine for a rookie? I've read through the page I supplied and I'm not sure how one would cut a cylinder that is longer than 2". Any ideas, recommendations, or comments are appreciated!

I am very familiar with Cataract lathes and have a number of them, the first bought about 45 years ago. Hardinge dropped the Cataract trademark by 1940, so I do not think you are looking at a "mid 40s" Cataract. I have no way to help you because the link you provided shows a number of completely different lathes and you did not identify the type you are thinking of buying for Can$1350. By the way, the color pictures of the screw cutting attachment on that page are of one of my lathes. Given the actual type of lathe, there are still questions of collet size, swing, bed type, spindle nose, included tooling and condition. I can say from experience that Hardinge lathes from circa 1940 are usually badly worn and new parts are not available. So $1350 seems to be too much, even without knowing what machine is actually offered.

Larry

Kevin -

You asked for recommendations. You got them, and they all point to the same conclusion. Pay particular attention to Larry's post, every sentence of it, above.

Please note that answering your question still needs more info input on your part than you have supplied. Are you looking for a machine to do just the one job for the mill? What sort of mill, and what level of precision (the tolerance question) is going to be required? Is your budget adequate to buy what you require? What resources are available to you in terms of evaluating machine condition and then learning "how to use the machine"?

I don't mean to discourage you from pursuing this here, but it is important to be realistic about the size of the hurdle in going from a start point of zero to making respectable parts for a mill.

-Marty-

Guess you might check taking a used machine from USA to Canada as it seems the USA market has more used machines..
Don't bargain hunt as much as finding what will serve your needs, is in good shape and has accessories you might need.
A 10 to 12 x 36 is often a good choice. (yes a South Bend 8 or 9x 24-36-48 or so also a handy machine.)
Quick change will make you more productive. 4jaw-3jaw and steady rest are handy. (The time it takes to swap gears may be as much time as it takes to run a simple part.)

Not a bad idea to check ebay to see if parts are there for what machine you choose.

You might also consider voltage, phase and type of motor.. often you can buy a motor that fits easier than altering the power source. looks like Ontario is the sane as USA? you might find that a single phase can be fitted if a standard motor size/frame..

Simple rented trailer is good for such a machine. I like to tarp wrap a machine to keep out rain and road dust (tight/wrapped (tight so it will also catch parts the might fall off)

A decent machine will last 10 years easy so an extra thousand dollars over 10 years is small potatoes.

Still the Catarcat in top shape with all the goodies is a great machine for the guy who needs a small foot print, small parts and high numbers of parts producer...Not you...and yes it would have to be near perfect/very good shape for that price IMHO.

and don't forget most lathes are top-heavy and many a guy has tipped one over to near ruin a decent machine. Not a bad idea to bole 4x4s under to make to make floor base twice as wide. Some times just a hand shove can tip a small lathe over.

I've always thought of them as an oversize watchmakers lathe, hardly ever able to cut threads other than with a die holder. Not worth near that amount of money. You need a small Southbend or Logan or decent import.

Lots of useful, on-topic, and good natured advice here. I hope this means PM is getting a bit more civilized and tolerant of beginners.

A thought - Hardinge also made Cataract tool makers lathes, which are a whole other animal, could that be what the OP looking at?

Lots of useful, on-topic, and good natured advice here. I hope this means PM is getting a bit more civilized and tolerant of beginners.

A thought - Hardinge also made Cataract tool makers lathes, which are a whole other animal, could that be what the OP looking at?

Unfortunately not, the offer I have matches the pictures in the links I provided exactly. That Catract Screwcutting lathe is pretty nice, though.

BTW when you're looking around stay AWAY from Atla$!!!

Sometimes those hide in the weeds or scrap pile, laid-up in ambush, ergo I recommend snakeproof boots, too, just in case:

15 Best Snake Proof Boots Reviewed in 218 | TheGearHunt

Vintage 1968 @las 6" x 18" went and HID under a bench when the first 10EE arrived.

Arrival of the second 10EE must have broken its tiny menopausal mind, as it resorted to nipping at my ankles until finally sent-off to the recycler, chucks, faceplate, driving plate and dogs (well.. they tried to be?), tooling, and all.

Why risk being accused of contributory negligence?

:(

Fortunately, no property settlement required.

We didn't OWE each other a damned thing.

Kevin, I really don't think you can define what you will do with your lathe. The more you use it, the more you'll find to use it for.

Before you know it, you'll be wanting to cut threads, tapers, ball ends, cut rectangular stock in a 4-jaw chuck, etc. I suspect that this particular lathe was built for a specific purpose. I think you will find that it's capabilities very limiting in the future.

Back