What's new
What's new

Good quality centre lathes??

Flexible Drive

Plastic
Hi everybody.

I have been giving the task of researching some 2nd hand lathes as we our in need of a replacement in our workshop.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for good quality lathe manufacturers, it will be getting used for turning and drilling small components approx. 5mm to 30mm diameter.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can assist.

How long will the pieces you're working on be? Bed length is a major factor when choosing a lathe.
And what kind of accuracy do you need? This is also a big part of the selection process...

...turning and drilling small components approx. 5mm to 30mm diameter.

At what count, accuracy, complexity, required throughput, turnaround time from the word "go", and in what material(s)?

Amongst "manual" lathes, those small diameters sound like Hardinge & clone if not simpler yet as a Purchase Order to a CNC shop.

TIME - setup as well as throughput at local wages, fully-burdened - is going to be where the "real" costs are, long-term.

Hi everybody.

I have been giving the task of researching some 2nd hand lathes as we our in need of a replacement in our workshop.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for good quality lathe manufacturers, it will be getting used for turning and drilling small components approx. 5mm to 30mm diameter.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can assist.

As an Aussie I can tell you straight out that just saying Australia as your location is spectacularly useless in getting help.

You could be in some remote shit-hole like Rockhampton for all I know.

Frankly you need to be using something like

lathe

and winnow to the size you need, distance, condition etc.

Or buy a new machine.....

PDW

Back