What's new
What's new

Good Sand blasting gun for my application

pcm81

Cast Iron
Greetings.
I just bought my 1st glove box for sand blasting and would like to upgrade the gun in it.
Its a small 20x24 glove box, so i am looking for a "smaller form factor" blast gun to make it easier to move it inside the box around large-ish objects.
I am using a 70-100 grit glass bead media and have a small compressor, so need a gun that has good selection of nozzles, including small size ones.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Any one of these places will have something you can use. All of them shop-able on line.

Tip Sandblasting (Or Tip Tools)

Northern Tool

Harbor Fraught

Remember small compressor equals small tip equals be patient.

Dave

You don't want a hand trigger in there.

Too hard to work with the gloves on.

rig up a foot pedal valve, probably have one in the linked document.

Good idea about the pedal. This is my 1st blasting cabinet, so i am still learning the options available.

Hand trigger is called a "deadman",and blasters hate them.

THAT is on an outside pressure blaster...I own 2 of them, each with the proper
lever hand valve, it is not a problem.

The OP is referring to a CABINET blaster set-up with a SYPHON GUN.

I built 2 of these for use in my shop, neither has a hand valve.

A foot pedal can be used to comply with OSHA deadman requirements.

Thank you all. I have decided to go with foot pedal route.

My last (yeah right) question is if there is a standard and if so, what is it called, for nozzle sizes? I am not looking to spend $300 on tungsten nozzle; so want to make sure that the gun I buy does not lock me to 1 supplier for nozzles.

First thing I'd do is standardize on 1/8" nozzles and 100 grit media. Forget stocking multiple grits and tips.

My sandblaster was made by Pauli & Griffin. Their gun is excellent. Only I don't think they make little stuff anymore.

I don't recommend you cheap out.

metalmagpie

A Zero gun is about as good as it gets. Tarheel Parts has them - Zero Gun W/Out Nozzle– Tar Heel Parts, Inc
I've been using one in a Zero cabinet for years. With the smallest nozzle it worked fine with a 5hp compressor that was slightly overdriven.

That bolded part is my biggest issue. I have a 1hp compressor. This is why i am trying to understand the standards that exist, so that i can get a small, possibly after market, nozzle. Say 3/32nds. Is A1 a standard that covers nozzle shapes or is it just a general shape of the gun?

A 1hp compressor will be a major frustration, even with a pretty small pen-type "blaster" or "air eraser." There are some meant for frosting glass and the like. Instead of thinking about multiple nozzles, look for the smallest you can find. And then get a larger compressor or parallel a couple to get enough CFM. You'll also need fairly fine, consistent, clean, and dry media (and dry air) to avoid clogs.

You'll likely need the smallest practical nozzle -- around 1/16" or 1.7mm. If your 1hp compressor actually delivers 3-4 cfm at pressure and has a large tank -- maybe as much as 3/32" on a very low duty cycle. Tickle the metal a bit, wait a while, tickle some more . .. And nozzles will clean just smallest spot at a time, wear quickly (if not carbide or ceramic), and then open up and lose the siphon effect.

If you're hoping to remove significant rust or scale, might want to think more "wire wheel" than "1 hp compressor" -- especially since many 1hp compressors are optimistically rated to begin with.

A 1hp compressor will be a major frustration, even with a pretty small pen-type "blaster" or "air eraser." There are some meant for frosting glass and the like. Instead of thinking about multiple nozzles, look for the smallest you can find. And then get a larger compressor or parallel a couple to get enough CFM. You'll also need fairly fine, consistent, clean, and dry media (and dry air) to avoid clogs.

You'll likely need the smallest practical nozzle -- around 1/16" or 1.7mm. If your 1hp compressor actually delivers 3-4 cfm at pressure and has a large tank -- maybe as much as 3/32" on a very low duty cycle. Tickle the metal a bit, wait a while, tickle some more . .. And nozzles will clean just smallest spot at a time, wear quickly (if not carbide or ceramic), and then open up and lose the siphon effect.

If you're hoping to remove significant rust or scale, might want to think more "wire wheel" than "1 hp compressor" -- especially since many 1hp compressors are optimistically rated to begin with.

Already have wire wheel. This is for rust removal in places wire wheel cant get to. So very light duty. Just want reliable set-up with options to go small nozzle.

I suggest you connect a 1/4" air die grinder to your compressor. Try using it for awhile. Notice how frustrating it is as the air pressure drops quickly. Now consider that sandblasting is much more demanding.

There is a very practical way to do blasting without a big compressor - rent one.

I assure you, do NOT go buy the world's best tiny blasting gun. No gun can blast with 1 hp. Minimum is 5hp. Sorry!

metalmagpie

Back