What's new
What's new

Good University for Mechanical Engineering

alskdjfhg

Diamond
With the thread about science VS. technical knowledge I figured that I would start this one. I am in 11th grade, so soon I will be applying to enter the halls of academia, and would like to know what university would be good for mechanical engineering. I have all A's in AP classes, I'm expected to get high scores on the SAT and I'm am a varsity swimmer , so I'm okay is the silly fluff department of school.
In Texas I can imagine the top schools would be the ivy league like rice, UT, A&M, and Texas Tech. I have been getting email from all kinds of Universities and I figured I would ask some Mechanical Engineers for suggestions because I will have to start the application process soon.

Might I suggest you look into a University that will introduce you to a new part of the country? Maybe, I dunno, Eastern PA? Maybe in the Patriot League? Maybe in the LEHIGH valley?

Not Lafayette, though. Don't go there.

Seriously, though, you might first try to find out if you want to specialize. Some schools have better reputations in smaller areas (like, if you wanted Aeronautical, you could go to Embry Riddle, or for nautical engineering, I think Florida Atlantic is pretty well known). Or if you want to get into research, MIT, Stanford, Cornell, etc. Know that the name on the diploma, in most cases, will at best get you into your first job (but 95% of employers don't care). After that, it's skills and networking...... I've been out of school long enough to know that it's the person that makes a great engineer, not the school.

Last edited:
Royldean
So what's wrong with Lafayette?

This is an interesting question one of which I will watch. Back when my son went we picked a small D3 school with a small engineering dept. Though it is acredited it is more into theory then the larger schools. This past summer he did an internship with students from couple big schools and felt he is as prepared as they are.

I do agree with Royldean that it is the person and what he/she puts into/gets out the program then just showing up at a big name school and expecting everyone to be impressed.

Schools are rated so many different ways. IMO, the better schools all have ABET accreditation. ABET - History
All of the major Texas Universities are accredited; Rice, Baylor, A&M, UT, SMU, Tech, UNT.

IMO, the best engineering school in the Country is MIT. Then is would be U of Michigan and Purdue University for 2nd and 3rd. I never went to any of those schools and I've done OK.
JR

with the mention of marine engineering I will say the California state University system has a unique campuss. It is California Maritime Academy. Only has a few majors like learn to be captain of a ship, marine engineering, ship operations etc. And no comittment to merchant marine when you graduate. I believe it is the only one on the west coast. there are a few on the east coast

Bill D.

https://www.csum.edu/web/about

There are many flavors of Mechanical Engineering. Some schools have more of a practical bent, others are more theoretical. Some only care about their graduate program. Any school with ABET certification will probably be OK.

When I was recruiting engineers for a manufacturing management development program for a Fortune 50 company in the late '90's Penn State was my favorite school because everyone I hired did OK when placed in a manufacturing facility. That might not have been the case if I was hiring design engineers. Actually, all of the Big 10 schools were OK. A nephew is at Virginia Tech right now and is very happy with the program. A Brother in Law has his Mechanical Engineering from Purdue and a MS in Biomechanical from Ohio State and has done very well as a design engineer.

One thing to consider is where you would like to live after you graduate. If it is Texas, a Texas school will do OK, if it is another part of the country you might want to go to school in that area or go to a school with a national reputation.

You need to think about what you want to get out of it.

I wanted an engineering degree and I wanted to pay as little as possible to get it. So that meant a small state school for me. ABET should not even be an option. You have to be accredited or it's a waste of money.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was that you school location has a huge effect on where you will get a job. If you want to work for Boeing and NASA or something, it's probably not a big deal. If you want to find a job in a particular area though, you will have a lot more luck if you go to school in that area.

I graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology, and highly recommend it.

The key for me that differentiates it from others:
1. Small class sizes - generic chemistry 101 might have around 60 students. All other classes max out around 30.
2. No TA taught classes. All classes are taught by true professors. Some lab practicums are TA led, however.
3. The school is undergrad and career focused - the graduate program is small, so they focus on making undergrad useful.
4. Forced internships - you HAVE to have a year of in-industry experience before you can get your degree. When I was there, I had to complete 5x 3 month long internships (some were "double blocks" of 6 months, but that's your choice). I think now that they are on semester calendar you have to do 3x 5 month internships. You have to go find, research, apply, interview, and get accepted for these internships, and they are required to be paid, so it helps with paying for the next tuition bill, and forces you to get good at finding a job. This also gives you up to 5 chances (3 now on semester system) to try different aspects of the industry and find what might fit you best. Yes, this means it takes 5 calendar years to get your 4 year degree, but you still only spend 4 years of tuition, and it's spread out over 5.
5. Fun school, and you can find good parties and people to hang out with, but it isn't a classic frat/sorority focused social scene. I considered that a benefit, but you may feel otherwise.
6. ABET Accredited.

They used to be on quarter system, which I felt was superior, but now they've changed. We'll see if the academic rigor is maintained.

Downsides for someone from Texas would likely include the winter weather for most of the school year. Buy a hat, you'll be fine. Upside: The school is also getting a whole lot closer to 50/50 guys/gals. Last I heard they are basically at 60/40. I didn't have much trouble finding girls to date/hang out with/lay if you are worried. Photography chicks though, they mostly be crazy, take care.

Research the schools and find the ones that have what you think you want.

Some things to consider:
1) setting - college town, small town, or big city?
2) reputation for theoretical research or applications. what sounds good to you, a research laboratory or a machine shop?
3) cost - this should be considered. university is expensive, and someone's gonna pay.

Talk to some professors and some students from each school. Some schools have a reputation for encouraging the profs to be helpful to undergrads, while others are more focused on research dollars and teaching is not priority #1. Depending on your strengths/weaknesses the attributes might be very important.

Royldean
So what's wrong with Lafayette?

I guess you didn't go to Lafayette, or you would've gotten my joke [it was a lame joke, I admit]. I went to Lehigh. Lehigh/Lafayette is the most played college football rivalry in the country (and one of the oldest, as well). Lafayette is a great school (in fact, they have so much in common with Lehigh that if you go to either of them, you can take any of the classes at the other for free... I think they may even have a shuttle between the two campuses).

Mechanical Engineering has gotten to be such a massive field that you have to really decide what you want to do. Do you want to build bridges, build buildings, build machine tools, build ships, build widgets, build watches, build rocket ships? All are various fields of Mechanical Engineering. ME at its raw core is simply the intimate understanding of physical forces and its effects. You may want to spend a little more time deciding exactly what it is you want to do. Most all schools have an ME degree. But few specialize in a field. Here's the ones i know of with pretty good programs

Structural - Penn State
Robotics - Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, MIT

Georgia Tech has a good one too.

I'm asking for names, because tomorrow the school is putting on a college fair and it might be good place to ask questions. But I do want a technical vs. theoretical school. And I that the saying "its not where you go, but how well you do" is very true.

I've got a Mechanical Engineering degree from Purdue. Great school. Others have mentioned other excellent schools: MIT, CalTech, Rensselaer, Michigan Tech, etc.

Keep in mind that the programs at most of the large engineering schools are pretty much the same, many using the same books. I know a LOT of engineers that went to Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and University of Texas. Those are all good schools and probably cheaper than paying out-of-state tuition at a northern school (and a helluva lot warmer in the winter!).

Don't buy the hype that a big name school is worth the extra expense. It isn't! A big name school may give you more opportunities for interviews when you graduate, but after you land your first job, nobody gives a damn where you went to school.

"Go to a school with girls and a big football team. "

University of Arizona. It's in tucson. Got 'em both.

Seriously though (and what could be more serious than those
mentioned above...) think of what happens if, as an undergraduate
you decide to change your major.

In that case any large state school (Urbana Champain, Univ. wisconsin, any
of the arizona state schools, cornell is a good hit) gives you the
flexibility. A big school will have a decent department for an undergrad
in nearly *any* discipline. Think broads. Um, that is, *broadly*.

If you like Texas and the Houston area, think twice before you commit to a school in the Northeast. Even with possible financial aid, you can save a LOT of money by attending a university in your home state. Apply for financial aid whether you need it or not. You need to do some serious research between now and your sophomore year in college to zero in on your interests in engineering and the actual job prospects in those areas. A good engineer is a good engineer, so do your best to learn your trade while in school. You will do yourself and others a large favor by learning basic machine work and welding fundamentals. An engineer who can run a decent bead gets instant street cred. Regards, Clark

Back