What's new
What's new

Good way to dispose of scrap aluminum/steel in Riverside,CA

nickg140143

Plastic
Hi,

I'm trying to cleanup an old machine shop that my late dad left behind, and one of the first things I can think of doing is getting rid of as much of the small things before moving onto the machines and tooling.

I have a couple hefty cardboard boxes of aluminum and steel plates that were the leftovers of previous jobs over the years.

shop is located in Riverside,CA. Was wondering if it's worth taking this stuff to scrap myself and hopefully get a couple bucks for my time, but I'm not sure where to take it.

Any suggestions or info from anyone who knows more than a goof like me would be greatly appreciated.

If they are small enough to fit in a flat rate box you might be able to sell them on ebay to hobbyists, especially if you know the alloy and can make a variety pack.

FYI, scrap is pretty low right now, so take that into account.

Scrap is a give a way, would not pay for the gas and lost time to take it anywhere, list it on C/L for free and set out at the curb.Run a add for the machine tools at the same time, you might snag a buyer....Phil

See if there is another machine shop near you, might have a little use for it.
Otherwise, try ebay and flat rate boxes.
If you have at least a couple hundred pounds of aluminum, and it still has paint on the ends to identify the alloy, give Specialty Scrap a call.

Where in Riverside are you? I am down in Temecula, but I am interested in what all you have. I try to keep some small material like this on hand.

This board is for professionals and most here are that. Amateurs are more likely to be interested in scrap. I am somewhere between a pro and an amateur and if I were in driving distance, I would come and take a look at what you have and also have an advanced look at the rest of the shop. But, sadly, I am not that close.

You may find someone who would be interested in the scrap on a hobbyist BB. You could try posting here:

General -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

Im in the pomona area and run across this scenario as well. If its absolute scrap type material like random odds and ends then i'd call my local scrap yard and see if they have someone who does pick ups for them or you can always take it yourself but it's usually a waste of time for what you get back. If it's decent SS aluminum or brass then look up scrap pick up companies. There are plenty of them here in so cal. If anything find another local shop and ask them who they use. By the way I think ss is somewhere around $.25/lb and aluminum around $.35/lbs. Try pomona scrap metal if you just want to get rid of the stuff.

Back