What's new
What's new

Gorton I 22 Mastermill Lubrication??

63steward

Plastic
I could use some advice on lubrication of the head/spindle on my vertical mill. I have an owners manual, but it seems they only call for grease in the head, via a zerk. On the power downfeed control module on the left side of mill, says to lube with No. 30 machine oil. I don't know if they mean only the downfeed box or what. Exploded view of internals in head parts shows what they call a grease retainer near bottom of spindle. Should there be an oil bath to lube the bearings, spindles, spacers, shaft etc.?? Or do you just keep squirting grease in. Dumb question I know, but don't want to burn up a spindle. I bet those bearings haven't been replaced any time recently.
Thanks

Should there be an oil bath to lube the bearings, spindles, spacers, shaft etc.?? Or do you just keep squirting grease in. Dumb question I know, but don't want to burn up a spindle. I bet those bearings haven't been replaced any time recently.
They were sealed bearings when I redid mine, but that was the older belt-drive style. Don't know about the vari-speed heads but manuals are easy to come by.

Back