Got this ridiculous RFQ - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea what you are reading between any lines, but there is nothing derogatory towards you intended in any way.
    If you found a "Paul is Dead" in the bottom of a Cracker Jack box somewhere, it is just happenstance. I didn't know that it was there.

???

Would you feel better if I put a or a in everything? (I don't see you including them in your posts?)

My humor is rather dry, so if you are in ??? of my postings, try reading it with your tongue positioned in another fashion and read aggin.
    I don't know that I have ever (intentionaly) pissed in your Cheerios.
    I may have poked you with a stick before, but if so - it was only meant in the nicest way possible. (that I can recall at least)

This is not the first time that you seem to think that I have had it out for you, and IDK why?

Irregardless, not seeing how that post could be cornfused with stepping on you in any way?

Sheesh!

edit:

And BTW, Don't drag Eddie Haskel into this.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 04-10-2021 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For some here I know you have the capacity to do this job, but we are too busy for it and can't handle that kind of quantity. We do not have a forklift and wouldn't have the room to store all the material. To handle big quantities, we have a kubota tractor with forks to handle up to 1000 Lbs but it is no where near as good as a fork lift. I work for my dad and the shop is at his house. We have mostly manual machines with 1 Daewoo 2 axis cnc lathe and 1 daewoo 3 axis mill. The job is just too big for us. I would love to buy a new machine just for this job, but we have power restrictions and room restrictions. We are actually looking to move to a commercial building in the next year or two though to remedy this problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think there is practically no insane request for a quote, certainly the first quote from a new possible customer. Worst case one can bid 30% over and farm it out.

Re: We are full up but can bid it on overtime hours for $xx.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The biggest thing was the 12000 piece order was an 8 week delivery including plating. The 8 week lead time was also very strict, if you could do it in 9 weeks they said they would go someplace else. And the hand drawn print with things scribbled and scratched out with no tolerance block and minimal info...just seems sketchy and a bit fly by night. But that's just me. Others may feel differently and have a different opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL @ the 9 weeks statement!

Sure, they will spend all week looking for someone that says that they can hit the 8 week mark.

Had it just last week myself.
    I qtd 4 weeks on some return work, but they came back and asked if they could git 3 weeks if they cut the order today.

"No", I need 4 weeks.
    ... and I'm not diminishing them asking - b/c I will try to git folks the parts that they need, even if it is partials to git them going, but this time - well, I really didn't have time to start for 2 more weeks.

So then 1-2 weeks pass by, and they cut me an order for 4 weeks.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a pretty big shop Ox?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

6000' looking for 15,000'

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's good. At least right now, we were too busy to mess with that job. Do you have a fanuc robot or some other robot to load and unload parts?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tell then to go to home depot and get some all tread i worked for a guy and when people like that would come in with some off the wall b s he would just tell them [ i have enough real work to do ]

10. Likes cgrim3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cgrim3 View Post
    That's good. At least right now, we were too busy to mess with that job. Do you have a fanuc robot or some other robot to load and unload parts?
    Barfeeders, or at least stock tubes that will take up to 20' bars.
    Even run some 24' tubing at times.

In the case of this job, I would have to load 12' bars for now, but would find a better way if it continued.
    It could go in my swiss, but the S/S is out of that, and not sure that I am fixing it, but would if needed.

For the 1" job that I am running currently - I am loading 12' bars every 13 minutes.
    My parts come out the back of the machine and into some sort of "catch" - dependant on the job.

No "robots" in the traditional meaning, but a magazine barfeeder really is a robot.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 04-10-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah we have wanted a bar feeder for a long time but just don't have the room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Local manufacturer sends an almost RFQ. "I would like a quote on a bid". ??? Quoted and we made the parts and waited 60 days to get paid. Knew that part up front. Small black acetal turned part. They asked me to make some small cabinets, gave me a .dwg. Made them and my delivery guy had to hang out 3 hours waiting for an elevator in the mill. WTF! And they claimed the cabinets were not made to spec. They match the .dwg file!!! Got paid. Put them on ignore list. My urine has more knowledge than their CAD guy.

14. Likes cgrim3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    No "robots" in the traditional meaning, but a magazine barfeeder really is a robot.

Ox
    As is any CNC machine you have.

16. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one ever said that you need to send back a single number in your quote. Make the customer aware of the old saying: "I can do it fast. I can do it well. I can do it cheap. Pick any two." They are trying to go for all three and that just does not work.

Give them a serious number for fast and well. It should NOT be cheap: they are the ones who wanted fast. Then give them another number for well and cheap. It should be less expensive, but with a two or three month time for delivery. Both of these require an up-front payment that covers both materials, tools, and labor costs. The final payment at the time of delivery would be only my profit; the job has already been paid.

Finally a third number for fast and cheap. That one should come with two things attached: first, total price must be paid in advance. And the check must clear before any work is done or stock or tools ordered. The "fast" part does not start until the money is in YOUR account, not theirs. And second, absolutely no guarantee. If it does not work, it is not your fault, NO MATTER WHAT GOES WRONG, it is their responsibility and you keep all the money paid.

My bet is they will not accept any of those numbers.

18. Likes digger doug liked this post