What's new
What's new

Gov Wolf closes all non essential included are all machine shops!

Yeah, they are including machine shops, that bites. Looks like they are exempting medical manufacturing.

With no thought about how many people may or may not be at a given place? A one-man-shop has to close? Heavy equipment operations where each operator is in his own vehicle, hundreds of feet apart? People building bridges, steel building framworks etc. where workers are naturally distant from each other and work in open air? Has this guy no brain at all?

I'm a one-man shop. If they do that here, I'm still working.

If someone knocks at the door (it will be locked), they will hear- "Sorry, we're closed!"

Sacramento County and most counties surrounding us have been ordered to shelter in place until April 7th. Misdemeanor charge for disobeying orders, $1000 fine or jail time.

Like some of you, I'm a one man band and have orders to get out.

I won't say what I'm going to do online.

Sacramento County and most counties surrounding us have been ordered to shelter in place until April 7th. Misdemeanor charge for disobeying orders, $1000 fine or jail time.

Like some of you, I'm a one man band and have orders to get out.

I won't say what I'm going to do online.

I'm confused. You work alone, congregating in groups is the issue. Who gave you 'orders' and how did they do that?

I'm confused. You work alone, congregating in groups is the issue. Who gave you 'orders' and how did they do that?

Our Governor Newsom just announced it on the TV, for the statewide order, the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors had made their county wide order earlier in the day, and I had been told it was passed this afternoon by someone who had access to the internet.

Government at its finest. Don't think, don't think, don't th....
Wouldn't surprise me if these people aren't planning somehow to reap more of the proposed gov't money giveaway by creating hardship in excess of that necessary. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Might give 'em a bit of time to do a version 1.01 on that order.

It clearly makes no sense to shut down a one man shop. And most two man shops could arrange distance, clean the restroom between uses etc.

Around here we had a couple orders, made in panic mode, that shortly got amended.

The U.S. still isn't on one page on this. Some jurisdictions acted a couple days ago, in panic over St. Patrick's day gatherings. The great college kid tradition of getting drunk and swappng body fluids while on spring break in Florida was still on. They're set to see closed colleges and come back to stay with mom and dad in Pennsylvania and elsewhere around the country - maybe continue the party since no school. Wouldn't surprise me if some the these orders are aimed at giving just a bit more time for local jurisdictions to figure out what they're facing and how to cope with it.

A day or two from now they may realize they overshot the mark.

Remember, it took us a couple months to realize this wasn't a hoax or just a sniffle. And we're still not up to speed on testing or with enough supplies or equipment to deal with patients if (when) we keep on the same spread curve as a country like Italy. As the pendulum swings the other way, not surprising it has overshot its mark. Lots of families might actually be safer if a spouse can work in relative isolation somewhere else.

Not sure where "NW Pa" is, but State College, PA (where my mom & dad met, BTW) s going to have close to 100,000 students cut loose. If they've held up their part of the bargain, at least 10,000 of them will have been partying somewhere and at least one or two will have been delighted to meet maybe the grandson of that NJ familly where so many died or some Chinese, Italian, Spanish etc. exchange student carrying the virus. Your Gov. probably has no clue about work conditions in a small machine shop (a bakery, etc.). Nothing wrong with informing him or county health officials so that version 1.01 starts making more sense.

“ Primary metal manufacturing” “steel products manufacturing from purchased steel”
I’m Not a “machine shop”, I’m a primary metal manufacturer. Done, you are good.

Did they also specifically include one person businesses?

March 19 (Reuters) - California's governor on Thursday issued a statewide "stay at home order" directing residents to leave their homes only when necessary during the coronavirus pandemic.

There is an exemption for "essential" workplaces. Not seeing certain industries being targeted. My Buddy with his fabricating shop does DOD, DOE, & HSA jobs. He's thinking he will be exempt.

The big issue they are trying to survive is overwhelming the medical industry. They want to slow down the infection rate, but in doing so it will prolong the pandemic. The same governor has said that schools will probably be closed until next fall.

Might give 'em a bit of time to do a version 1.01 on that order. . . .

OK, I just read that order and the very long list of "life sustaining businesses." Took a minute to find both the exact order (very short) and the very long list of exempted businesses.

Any small shop owner that can't figure how they comply is too dim to stay in business, IMO. Don't complain, don't listen to others or the news complaining. Read the order.

First, anyone in any business can do virtual work or telecommute. As I read it, any sole proprietor can declare his workplace a telework node, show up at work, close the door, and stay late as they want. Phone your customers, your wife, whatever.

Second, businesses that normally have people cheek to jowl (like crowded restaurants) can do take-out as long as they practice comparative isolation (6' apart, wiping down shared surfaces, etc.). You now have a take-out job shop?

Third, there's a very long list of essential manufacturing businesses that can stay open, as long as they protect their workers. I'd be surprised if anyone here (and as noted above for metal manufacturing) wouldn't find they are all of a sudden a "life sustaining" business. Tell your kids. If you happen to make stuff out of steel or aluminum you're in. If your customers are in the food, paper, chemical, plastics, etc. industries you're good. Some of the stuff, like distingushing non-ferrous materials as non-essential while aluminum as essential is stupid. Likely steel & aluminum have lobbyists, while poor old brass, copper, and inconel are left to their own devices. The list is here: https://www.governor.pa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/20200319-Life-Sustaining-Business.pdf

The list of businesses that the Governor put out is contradictory. According to one category that I fit into, I can stay open, according to a different one, I have to close.

I have a customer that supplies the military. They will be staying open. However, they won't be able to make their parts without the molds that I am making.

Same goes for another customer that is in Plastics Production. They are permitted to keep running but are going to need the parts that I am currently running.

Many of the permitted businesses are primary suppliers. They can keep running, but the users of their products cannot. For example, paper mills can continue but printers cannot.

Bill

The list of businesses that the Governor put out is contradictory. . . .

Bill

My own take in any seriously gray area is to interpret in a common sense way (and usually the one that pleases me most). Point out you're critical to customers in the military, for example, and I'd guess near 99% of the time you get a pass. If not, at most a slap on the wrist and asked to go home?

Back