Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

If they have a brain, they will realize that they won't be able to use the parts you can't make because they won't be open either..
    Then they will have to source from China, and accept lower quality. They will be open to receive the shipment, although not have enough employees to do any assembly.

If you are lucky the material supplier will let you do willcall or something. Maybe just leave it in a pile out front Let's HOPE the powers what be realize they need delivery services running at least..
    I talked to my plastic supplier, that's the discussion their management is having right now. "how do we sufficiently protect our workers and isolate them at the will call counter?" I'll know more later. Their committed to staying open as the supply the military and other vital industries.

Or you could fib and say it's for emergency medical parts ... ecmos defibrillation synchronizers, maybe..
    Most of my work is for the US food industry, if you have bought any kind of berry (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry etc) over the last 10 years, there's a 100% chance my parts have gone into machinery that has been used in the supply chain of said berries. So I could very likely get a letter from my customer (who's closed for the forseeable future) that I'm an essential small gear in the huge gearbox that feeds the nation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Closing as in shuttered? Places around me have just went to delivery only, no will calls. What location IMS? I used to be 10 miles from the Riverside location.
    The salesman I talked too in Riverside thought they were going to close, although he might have thought I was referring to the retail side, even though he knows I only get deliveries from the Riverside branch. That was this morning.

According to somebody at the Irvine branch who I talked to at noon their closing the retail store only, but will call and deliveries remain open as usual. But no cash or checks will be accepted, CC's only to minimize any contact the drivers or will-call have with the great unwashed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Yeah, they are including machine shops, that bites. Looks like they are exempting medical manufacturing.
    I just read the table, and they don't actually speak of machine shops per se.

What they require to close are the manufacturers of machines. But people that make things (other than machines) from purchased steel can remain open. Although not stated, I would extend that to purchased aluminum et al. But if you use any steel, you fit the definition. So make something if it turns out to matter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The order by Gov. Newsom seems like BS to me.

I live in Santa Cruz and I just watched a meth head homeless guy shambling down the street yelling at nothing. He was going to the nearby train tracks that lead to a bridge over the Rodeo Gulch creek. There is now and entire homeless/meth encampment under the bridge. Tons of them. They scatter and forage everywhere all day then go back to group up to use later.

Will these laws apply to these two legged plague rats?

5. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
    I just read the table, and they don't actually speak of machine shops per se.

What they require to close are the manufacturers of machines. But people that make things (other than machines) from purchased steel can remain open. Although not stated, I would extend that to purchased aluminum et al. But if you use any steel, you fit the definition. So make something if it turns out to matter.
    Joe, it's in there, under fabricated metal products. "Machine Shops, Turned Product, and Screw, Nut, and Bolt Manufacturing" are NO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post

I live in Santa Cruz and I just watched a meth head homeless guy shambling down the street yelling at nothing. He was going to the nearby train tracks that lead to a bridge over the Rodeo Gulch creek. There is now and entire homeless/meth encampment under the bridge. Tons of them. They scatter and forage everywhere all day then go back to group up to use later.

We will need to buy them houses so that they can stay home.

8. Likes fusker, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    The salesman I talked too in Riverside thought they were going to close, although he might have thought I was referring to the retail side, even though he knows I only get deliveries from the Riverside branch. That was this morning.

According to somebody at the Irvine branch who I talked to at noon their closing the retail store only, but will call and deliveries remain open as usual. But no cash or checks will be accepted, CC's only to minimize any contact the drivers or will-call have with the great unwashed.
    I just got an email from IMS. They will delivery, and will call is open, but the store is closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. The earlier Santa Cruz County order exempted the homeless, as you might expect, from sheltering in their homes.

it did urge them to seek shelter - of which there is very little. Probably a bad idea, anyhow, to put a bunch of homeless in cots side by side. Could even be they'll be among the last to get infected. They haven't taxen cruises lately, nor partied with anyone who has.

As far as "two legged plague rats" go, I'm not real keen on how many homeless seek Santa Cruz's nice weather and somewhat tolerant vibe as a place to camp out. We have more than our share of the homeless.

However, each of these "rats" has a story. Some are mentally ill, unable or unwilling to get treatments. Others addicted, likely a few by our own pharma industry. A signficant percentage seem to be veterans with PTSD. Those come from all parts of the country, but are pushed away or drawn to nicer weather.

Another huge contingent are working people who lots their jobs, then lost their $2500 a month one bedroom apartment, and are now living in their cars, vans, or mobile homes. If you aren't well off, an illness or a lost job has many joining the ranks of the homeless. People who aren't addicts, mentally ill, or criminal - often even somewhat well educated. A few of those quite young are still run-aways; perhaps from an abusive home.

Anyhow, I'd be more worried about college kids, unconcerned for their exposure, going back to live with their parents or grandparents than the homeless generally shrinking from view (raging mentally ill excepted).

11. Likes Rudd, janvanruth, Asquith, fusker, paul39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m now getting nonspecific notices of delay in shipping from UPS “Due to emergency or severe weather” on my McMaster orders out of California. Maybe I won’t have some parts I need to keep busy?

It’s all good though. I just picked up 2 tons of stucco to finish the outside of my shop. When I’m done, my rotator cuffs will be so destroyed I won’t be able to get out of bed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flail View Post
    I’m now getting nonspecific notices of delay in shipping from UPS “Due to emergency or severe weather” on my McMaster orders out of California. Maybe I won’t have some parts I need to keep busy?
    haha! you think? when did you wake up there, Rip Van Winkle..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    As far as "two legged plague rats" go, I'm not real keen on how many homeless seek Santa Cruz's nice weather and somewhat tolerant vibe as a place to camp out. We have more than our share of the homeless.

However, each of these "rats" has a story. Some are mentally ill, unable or unwilling to get treatments. Others addicted, likely a few by our own pharma industry. A significant percentage seem to be veterans with PTSD. Those come from all parts of the country, but are pushed away or drawn to nicer weather.

Another huge contingent are working people who lots their jobs, then lost their $2500 a month one bedroom apartment, and are now living in their cars, vans, or mobile homes. If you aren't well off, an illness or a lost job has many joining the ranks of the homeless. People who aren't addicts, mentally ill, or criminal - often even somewhat well educated. A few of those quite young are still run-aways; perhaps from an abusive home.

Anyhow, I'd be more worried about college kids, unconcerned for their exposure, going back to live with their parents or grandparents than the homeless generally shrinking from view (raging mentally ill excepted).
    I admit I used to be much more forgiving about the personal situation of homeless people before moving here.

But I was attacked on my driveway one night on my way to drive to drop something off at the post office. Had to call 911 and all. I am 6'4" and 275lbs, most people do not randomly attack me. But he was high as kite.

The next guy I found inside my front fenced and gated courtyard on a Sunday afternoon yelling at me that he needed to come in because he was convinced Jesus was inside and wanted to see him.

Then there was the meth head lady who dumped all her stuff in my driveway and made a huge mess while her 'boyfriend' looked in my cars. Called the sheriff on her and they picked her up while the guy slunk away. Two hours later I walk out of my shop because I hear a bunch of noise and she's back with two new 'boyfriends' using my mailbox as a work table and throwing garbage everywhere. I finally had to clean everything up myself.

These events coupled with the constant noise all night, having clean up needles in my side yard and watching them case cars and it is not surprising that it can really erode ones good will.

15. Likes fusker, paul39, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I admit I used to be much more forgiving . . ..
    It's pretty messed up.

I live far enough out of town that I'm not in the midst of it. Some friends and I go hiking once a week. We see encampments all over the County. Some that them look like orderly campsites out of Field and Stream. Others that look like dumps with tarps. We'll look them in the eye, say hello, sometimes talk for a bit. I'm surprised how normal some of these people seem. Seems the further out you find them, the more competent they are. One of our group owns a trio of llamas that are periodically escaping into the hills. Homeless seem to beat the police or animal control in getting them back.

Other times, people seem to start mentally ill, get on alcohol or drugs, and represent a raving crazy danger. No sense even acknowledging them - they're living inside their own heads. The question is what to do about it?

My own take is that it's only marginally useful for a town or county to address it, because the better they do the more homeless they get. I used to live across the hill in Los Gatos. The police in that town ran every homeless person out, except the woman who was apparently related to a cop (might be myth, but she was for real). Shoving people around doesn't solve the problem, just shifts it. Same deal with those escaping gangs in Central and South America or the Assad dictatorship in Syria.

The underlying problems aren't a Santa Cruz or even a California thing but what to do with maybe 1% of messed up people. And within that 1% there are a dozen different reasons they might be homeless - thus a dozen different things to help. Santa Cruz does seem to do a pretty good job with families. Nowhere in the country are we doing a great job with the mentally ill -- many of them turned that way by a tour of duty in places like Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq. We're also not winning the war on drugs. Our own pharma companies have addicted and killed more people in recent years than drug dealers on street corners.

Seems the best we can do is figure out the root problems and try to fix things there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are hoping to escape Saturday afternoon with 2 VMC's, 2 tumblers, HEM auto saw, belt sanders, drill presses, 3000lbs of 6061 and about 7000lbs of packaged inventory. Its not the order we planned to do things but she and I can just go hang out out in the woods in Idaho.

img_7150.jpg

18. Likes Rick Finsta, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then they will have to source from China, and accept lower quality. They will be open to receive the shipment, although not have enough employees to do any assembly.
    That's what I meant, sorry - if they can't put the things together to sell, then they may as well wait for you to open to get the parts done.

But that would require the use of logic. Purchasing Agents are not well-known for that

Hope you can get materials, sounds like maybe ? If so, this could actually be a good thing for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We are hoping to escape Saturday afternoon with 2 VMC's, 2 tumblers, HEM auto saw, belt sanders, drill presses, 3000lbs of 6061 and about 7000lbs of packaged inventory. Its not the order we planned to do things but she and I can just go hang out out in the woods in Idaho.

[/ATTACH]
    Do you have to go thru the truck scales with that rig? I presume not.

I have an F350 with the 7.3L diesel, I don't think I'd want to tow that with my truck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what I meant, sorry - if they can't put the things together to sell, then they may as well wait for you to open to get the parts done.

But that would require the use of logic. Purchasing Agents are not well-known for that

Hope you can get materials, sounds like maybe ? If so, this could actually be a good thing for you.
    The material I now know I can get, now that I know IMS and the plastics supply will be open.

I'm going to endeavor to meet the schedule, but if I slip the schedule I now what they need and when, probable better then they do.

Yes it's very definitely a good thing, if I get the work I've quoted over the last few days it will (maybe) ensure I get thru this crisis without losing the shirt of my back.

I'm not dealing with purchasing agents, just their engineers. Logic escapes them as well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    I saw that #boomer_remover was trending on some college campus social media venues . . .

Seriously? Read a story about a college senior who contracted COVID-19 . . . he is staying in because he "doesn't want to be shamed" . . . what is wrong with these people? What about staying in so you don't infect other people?

What ever happened to being selfless?
    And well intentioned [sic] parents letting kids have play dates, or parties, or the best busy daycares because school is closed. Something about everyone needs to isolate, except me because I am smarter than a protein, does promote a good running start on the cooties 19.
    It is hard to say I can not see you now, but easier than not seeing friends and family later.

23. Likes TeachMePlease, Bobw, fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    Has this guy no brain at all?
    Yes, it looks that way.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The material I now know I can get, now that I know IMS and the plastics supply will be open.
    A freeby remark from hard-earned experience ? Don't wait. These things can and will change in a heartbeat. Lock down the order and get that stuff asap !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read that Italy had 475 deaths yesterday and they are still having trouble getting people to take it seriously. Apparently they are calling the army or some such to enforce the lockdown. Scary stuff.